The Thief and the Cobbler (Video/gifset inside)

The Thief and the Cobbler (Video/gifset inside)

Postby moonsugar33 » July 14th, 2016, 2:49 am

I watched The Thief and the Cobbler the other day. It's an amazing piece of animation history, due to two main facts:

a) it had a really troubled development, spanning about 30 years, with several different companies holding the rights to it at once and
b) some scenes are technically amazing, with use of geometry and incredibly complex designs.

These gifs are mainly from the end sequence, when the big scary army of baddies invades. Every single frame was drawn by hand.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

This is the Recobbled Cut, compiled by a group of fans who had access to storyboards and animatics, and most scenes have been faithfully restored/touched up as well.

Fun fact: in one of the released versions (not the one shown above), Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) voiced the main character, Tack- who was given actual dialogue, and apparently songs were added as well.

(spoilers- read after you've watched the movie or if you're not going to)
Spoiler: show
I don't just want to draw parallels because they're both set in similar locations, but don't you think the wizard Zigzag looks a lot like Jafar from Aladdin, and the princess looks like Princess Jasmine?

And the way Zigzag was eaten by the crocodiles was just like the part at the end of The Lion King where Scar panics and addresses the approaching hyenas with "Friends! Friends...!"
moonsugar33

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 9

Re: The Thief and the Cobbler (Video/gifset inside)

Postby TheLionPrince » July 14th, 2016, 10:51 pm

Awesome. I have long known the troubled production history behind the film (and still feel sorry for its director Richard Williams), and have always wanted to watch the Recobbled Cut. So, I'm curious where did you watch it? And yeah, Matthew Broderick voiced Tack in a butchered version of the film titled Arabian Knight.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Return to The Den