MLK Writing Contest #44!

Re: MLK Writing Contest #44!

Postby FlipMode » September 15th, 2018, 12:13 am

[quote="Gemini"]Just an idea, but could we maybe also (starting with contest 45 perhaps) get rid of the prompts altogether? I mean, I guess they sort of help to give people something to think about and flesh out but at the same time there's only so many ideas for prompts that haven't been tried after the 7 or 8 years of this contest and maybe it'd just be better if we allowed potential new entrants to write what they feel like writing.

Just a thought though, feel free to shoot it down but I've been following this contest on and off since mid-2012 and I'm kind of amazed people can think of anything new at this point without it feeling repetitive (aside from TLG-related stuff which would only be familiar to the specific group of people who watch it - I for one don't so that kind of rules out my writing for any of those prompts ever, lol).[/quote]

Agreed so hard! The amount of times I haven't entered this contest because I either don't like the prompts, or can't think of a decent idea I actually want to write about based off them. That's also what happened with this iteration of the contest for me. The most interesting prompt on there (to me) is Kopa returning but again its just been done so many times, I even wrote something based exactly on that before and just kinda don't feel like writing about it again, even if I were to put a spin on it, I feel like it would be forced and would show in the writing.

I would say though, you can write anything but it has to be set in the TLK universe, I.E: you can't have them team up with Iron Man to kill Thanos with roar of the elders.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby it means no worries » September 15th, 2018, 8:29 am

Although I do entirely agree that no prompts would help, this has been done before on multiple occasions to attempt to revive the contest and not much came of it beyond the next contest or so.

I'm not opposing it, I think it's a positive step, I'm just pointing out that it might not be a long term fix.
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Postby DGFone » September 16th, 2018, 2:49 am

Here is what I am thinking we can try for the next writing contest:

First, let's give the whole "no word limits" idea a try. It might even go somewhere. As for the prompts: They do help people, especially newer authors who need a starting point. So I don't feel comfortable with just getting rid of the prompts. But what about this idea: Along with the usual prompts, have a fifth "hidden" prompt of "Anything TLK related goes", i.e., you have an idea, you can write for it.

How does that sound?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby zerodix » September 16th, 2018, 3:23 pm

i also would like a confirmnment message when my entry is sent.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Previous

Return to MLK Writing Contest