Remove the contest's word limit or not?

Yes! I like longer stories!
67%
No, I like manageable stories!
33%

Total votes : 12

Re: Writing Contest Poll

Postby wolfishgirl » September 13th, 2012, 6:00 am

Do u really expect me to read all of that?
Spoiler: show
Married to vish

adopted daughter werewolfgrrly

adopted sister: unikels

adopted brother: Tora

Melonie's Aunt

Thank you Rogue and Sophie for the graphics.

friends list are in the spoiler, check out if you're good enough to be one. :D

Nicholas
Nukascar1
Arani
Biomac 92
Buffy
Libre
Banana
WildSimba
TheLionPrince
VitanisMate
TheRoguePrince
Regulus
SimbaNalaScarZira123
Vish
Kuna
Unikels
OuRaion
Moka
werewolfgrrly
Tora
Juliette
James
KristinaKiara
Aina
DGFone
SharpLionson
wolfishgirl
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Warm in your belly!

Nickname(s): Wolfishgirl, Narm, Annoying girl, Alien, Angel...
Pride Points: 26

Postby Kitva Hyperlink » September 13th, 2012, 6:06 am

No.
Hello Guy's
I have left MLK now
Kitva Hyperlink
LinkCoolKitva

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Check Y'all

Nickname(s): Link, Kitva KKVK4
Pride Points: 17

Postby FlipMode » September 13th, 2012, 8:27 am

Haven't entered for a while but I still say keep it!
It's plenty as it is, 2000 words is enough to make a good story and edit it out if it does go over 2000. The solution is not to write anything that you think you will need more than 2000 words to efficiently tell. And 2000 words is just about right for voters who need to read all entries. Remember that we are voting on quality and not quantity.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » September 13th, 2012, 8:50 am

[quote="FlipMode"]Haven't entered for a while but I still say keep it!
It's plenty as it is, 2000 words is enough to make a good story and edit it out if it does go over 2000. The solution is not to write anything that you think you will need more than 2000 words to efficiently tell. And 2000 words is just about right for voters who need to read all entries. Remember that we are voting on quality and not quantity.[/quote]

Well obviously. But with writing, quantity is usually a sign of quality, and in the writing contest itself, there are two confirmed stories that lost quality when they had to strip down on quantity. So for the next contest, I will try elevating the limit to 3000 words, maybe 4000, create that 1000 word minimum, and see how it goes.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » September 13th, 2012, 9:50 am

Well I mean it depends on the story itself; some of the shorter ones I read on here work better because they are supposed to be like that.
But the good thing is if you increase the word count max then entrants can still choose to keep within 2000 words if they so please right?
So sure I see no harm in this ^^ I'm going I vote yes.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » September 13th, 2012, 5:48 pm

[quote="wolfishgirl"]Do u really expect me to read all of that?[/quote]

And this is why younger generations disappoint me.

Honestly, this right here is what worries me. If most voters are like you and vote for shorter 2,000 stories over the long 5,000 ones even if they are better quality, what does thats say?
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby wolfishgirl » September 13th, 2012, 6:05 pm

oh no, i read all the posts because they interested me, what other people thought for this didn't interest me, that's what I meant. that i'm not going through 3 pages of peoples posts and read what they think.
Married to vish

adopted daughter werewolfgrrly

adopted sister: unikels

adopted brother: Tora

Melonie's Aunt

Thank you Rogue and Sophie for the graphics.

friends list are in the spoiler, check out if you're good enough to be one. :D

Nicholas
Nukascar1
Arani
Biomac 92
Buffy
Libre
Banana
WildSimba
TheLionPrince
VitanisMate
TheRoguePrince
Regulus
SimbaNalaScarZira123
Vish
Kuna
Unikels
OuRaion
Moka
werewolfgrrly
Tora
Juliette
James
KristinaKiara
Aina
DGFone
SharpLionson
wolfishgirl
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Warm in your belly!

Nickname(s): Wolfishgirl, Narm, Annoying girl, Alien, Angel...
Pride Points: 26

Postby Gemini » September 16th, 2012, 1:03 am

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"][quote="wolfishgirl"]Do u really expect me to read all of that?[/quote]

And this is why younger generations disappoint me.

Honestly, this right here is what worries me. If most voters are like you and vote for shorter 2,000 stories over the long 5,000 ones even if they are better quality, what does thats say?[/quote]

Exactly. ^^ I tend to write long stories as well - some of my one-shots on FFn are over 10,000 words. I wouldn't want someone to vote for a shorter story just becasue it was, well, shorter.

In any case, I don't think you should leave the requirement as is (mine was around 3,000 or so last time, I think x.x). But I am in support of raising it to 3,000/4,000 and adding a minimum requirement. Besides, I think most people are able to pass 1,000 without any difficulty.

Twin :fly:
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby DGFone » September 16th, 2012, 1:09 am

You guys still have 1 day left (I will be creating the next writing contest Sunday evening) to help me decide on what to do. Currently, my new plans are these:

Max word count: 4000
Min word count: 1000
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Gemini » September 16th, 2012, 5:21 am

I support that. However, I didn't vote on the poll... simply because this doesn't really fit with either option - it's more of a compromise.

Nonetheless I'm really excited. Looking forward to tomorrow! :D

Twin :fly:
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Previous

Return to MLK Writing Contest