Disney's never ending live-action remakes

Re: Disney's never ending live-action remakes

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 4th, 2020, 3:34 pm

[quote="Timon the great"]^ Well 50% capacity isn't minimal lol. The main change that I've been seeing here is maintaining at least a 6 ft. distance from each other or party in these public places (including restaurants that are also all open here now). So people aren't being seated right next to each other like they were before. I haven't gone to a movie theater yet since this covid stuff started back in March. But frankly, I've been liking this more lately because it's definitely been preventing overcrowding in these places that's usually the case especially right now during the typically very active summer months of vacationing. Which some of that has still been going on here despite the ongoing "pandemic".

Also, I thought you already had Disney+ based on your other replies in this topic... What happened there :eek2: xd[/quote]

No Disney+ but I collect a lot of Disney DVDs so my replies were based on that. Lol. Plus international fans can access Disney+ contents via other sites.

Keeping distances is always required at any public place around the world at this given time. I'm still enjoying home viewing and getting food and drinks to go. Agree about the usually packed areas being safer to go into, though.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Stormy » September 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm

A little fun thing, if you have a twitter account.

In response to the release of Mulan today, twitter temporarily has this thing where if you like a tweet that has #Mulan somewhere on the tweet, there will be a little Mulan logo.

Example here: https://twitter.com/dritingcl0ud/status/1301885595522797570?s=20
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 4th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I'm on Twitter. Yes it pops up when the hashtag is used =D
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Elton John » September 5th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Mulan was....

A bit of a mess?

Bad editing from time to time, incoherent plot. Like the editing the plot kept on jumping from one subplot to another. it lacked charm, the characterization on the outside seems more complex but it is proof that mo' complexity does not equal mo' better.

The movie tried to be wuxia and disney without being good at any of the two.

And even with the grimdark nature of some scenes the og did a better job at showing horrors of war...

also the Chi subplot was awful. Almost like a chosen one subplot while og disney mulan used her ingenuity.

i am surprised at all the good reviews this one got.

at least the soundtrack is good. not great. but it has some lovely tunes... orchestral renditions of Mulan songs.

And not all the acting was terrible. Some of the action was decent.

Meh. Serves me right for not waiting.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Stormy » September 5th, 2020, 1:18 pm

@Elton - how would you rank it amongst the other live action remakes? The ones you’ve seen at least?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » September 5th, 2020, 8:22 pm

it was better than beauty and the beast. maybe maleficent too.

worse than the rest. tho i havent seen dumbo or cinderella.

the trailers are edited to make it look very different from the og but its not that different? a lot of the same plot beats... it mixes things up quite a bit but i expected a full on remake with little ties to the original.

This would be a prettier movie if it didn't have so many bad edits and quick cuts. it is done on quite the grand scale.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Timon the great » September 10th, 2020, 11:52 am

[quote="MeerkatOnTheMoon"]No Disney+ but I collect a lot of Disney DVDs so my replies were based on that. Lol. Plus international fans can access Disney+ contents via other sites.

Keeping distances is always required at any public place around the world at this given time. I'm still enjoying home viewing and getting food and drinks to go. Agree about the usually packed areas being safer to go into, though.[/quote]

Well actually I meant that it's better all around about this supposedly maintaining 6 ft. distance thing in public places cause overcrowding sucks lol Especially in restaurants and movie theaters. That's why I never go see a movie right away when it comes out in theaters because of that. I honestly can always wait especially the way the quality of most new releases are nowadays. If this was in the 90s or early 2000s, it'd be a little different for me ; )

Yeah, I figured there were probably other ways to get access to Disney+ (though still not the way I get those movies online). I'd buy more DVD or Blu-ray copies to support the revenue of my favorite movies especially LK 1 1/2 of course. But I'm a poor as heck man when it comes to that and merchandise or pretty much anything I want, except groceries XD But I still go out and get them and to restaurants or wherever else I need to go.

Either way, now that movie theaters are opening back up, I think it's only a matter of time now before Disney starts pushing the green button to get some of their remakes in them to start making up for all the lost revenue because of this covid thing. It could go the other way (again) especially now that the winter months (cold air supposedly encourages virus growth like the regular flu) are upon us here in the US unless a vaccine comes out sooner than expected. But you can't shutdown an economy like the MSM has been putting emphasis on, just because of a new virus. There's Always risk in this life, pandemico or not.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 11th, 2020, 7:36 am

Same here. I always wait a week or even more than that before seeing a movie. Lol. Many seem to be lured by the 'gotta see it now' ads. As a DVD/Blu-ray collector, I would usually buy them for movies I truly enjoy. I recently found a TLK 1 1/2 book on sale so of course I bought it right away. =D

Haven't seen Mulan but I wonder how much it makes from the Disney+ viewings. Also, the Cinderella live action is among Disney's best remakes. It's quite underrated.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Timon the great » September 24th, 2020, 11:57 am

^ Yeah, the Cinderella remake wasn't actually that bad at all. But I remember it was released back in 2015. So it's been a while now. The Dumbo one back in 2019 (despite it being directed by Tim Burton), wasn't too bad either. And to me, in those films' cases, it's understandable to try and remake them because they were made decades ago when even Walt himself was still alive, and the appeal of media art back then wasn't like it is in recent decades.

I'm surprised they haven't actually tried to remake Walt's very first feature Disney film, 'Snow White', although I could be wrong on that now. Though it took many years for him to work on and complete that movie because of non-existent technology back in the 1920s/30s to digitally replicate hand drawings (to colorize and create visual media or animation efficiently through computer software). So that could be the reason why the company hasn't decided to redo it because it's a film that's held in high regard by the company because of the above mentioned reasons. That is of course, if they haven't decided to remake their Snow White.

Well I think the 'Premier Access' charge to see the Mulan remake when it was released earlier this month was gonna be about $25 USD? Since I'm assuming that's for unlimited viewing, it might sound "expensive" to many and make them say otherwise, but you'll still get people paying for it anyways. Especially if they watch almost everything that these streaming services put out (Disney+ in this case). And especially right now too, with the ongoing pandemic because they want to be constantly entertained, but more so right now being at home. So I'm pretty sure Disney has already made some nice dough from the Mulan remake this month. What people say & do are usually pretty different things.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » September 25th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Cinderella remains one of my top faves, and I enjoyed the earlier TV version too with Brandy as Cinderella. Dumbo was decent, yes. I know they are remaking Bambi. I think Snow White is coming up lol. I saw it on the list of planned Disney remakes so they may make an announcement in a few years. Yes being Disney’s first feature length film there were challenges they encountered but looking at the final movie, it’s spectacular. I recently gave it a rewatch on DVD lol. The Queen as an old hag looks like a horror movie villain =p
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

PreviousNext

Return to The Den