Disney's never ending live-action remakes

Disney's never ending live-action remakes

Postby Stormy » April 30th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Well, at this point it's useless to create a new thread every time I hear about a new remake from Disney. I'm actually really late on this one, but Hercules? Thoughts?
This one looks like it's going to be a theatrical release like The Little Mermaid
Also, apparently they're looking for either the Russo brothers or Jon Favreau for directors on this one... hm.

Update: looks like it is confirmed Russo brothers are taking over. Alongside Dave Callaham who worked on screenplays for the upcoming Wonder Woman ‘84, & Shang-chi films.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Re: Disney's never ending live-action remakes

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » May 1st, 2020, 4:47 pm

I saw the news. Not surprised Disney is doing all these live action remakes. It's a company, and the public keeps coming back for remakes so that's where the money is. The many attempts on original movies like Tangled, The Princess and the Frog and Brave have failed at the box office, even though they are incredible. Unfortunately, a large number of cinema goers prefer the familiar rather than the new. Hercules is one of my top favorites, and with this remake, I hope they keep the musical elements, since they add uniqueness to the epic story.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Stormy » May 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm

I honestly don't mind remakes, as long as the directors know how to keep the soul from the original, something that was clear many people didn't feel they did with the lion king remake.

Did Tangled really fail at the box office? I don't remember how big it was when it came out, but I hear a lot of good things about Tangled still today, though personally, I have not seen the movie again in full since it was released originally in theaters. I personally like the music that came from it, my favorite being "I See the Light".
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » May 1st, 2020, 5:02 pm

I agree with keeping the soul from the original. For me, The Lion King, Aladdin and The Jungle Book did quite well with the adaptation. Tangled is also one of my faves when it comes to the animated movies. It got rave reviews, but from the news that I read, it didn't do well financially, or at least as well as Disney hoped, which is probably why people keep calling it underrated and underappreciated. I See the Light is definitely lovely. Still hoping for an actual The Lion King 3 while most of the original cast are still around.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Stormy » May 1st, 2020, 5:11 pm

I think the reason why maybe it wasn't considered a success financially for Disney is because of the amount of money they poured into it. If I remember correctly, at the time (and maybe still is, not sure) it was the most expensive animated film ever produced.

Just looked, yes, most expensive animated film, and one of the most expensive films of all times with a budget of 260M USD. Box office just under 600M USD. I can kind of see why it wasn't the most they had hoped for, but still a decent amount of money made with it.

At this point I don't see a Lion King 3 happening unless it's done with live action. One could hope, but I don't see Disney taking the time to go back to the original source material to write another full new movie. Unless, they decide to make another with the lion guard part of the story line or something like that idk lol.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » May 1st, 2020, 5:19 pm

You are right that it still is the most expensive animated film ever produced by the company along with Frozen I think. If I'm not mistaken, both are still Top 2 when it comes to official Disney animations that rank high on the global movie charts - not counting Toy Story and Pixar movies.

Oh ok, still a decent amount of money for Tangled, though that still makes the company turn to remakes as 'safety nets'. Moana did incredibly well, though. With the global pandemic, more money is expected to be lost with production shutdowns etc. Hopefully when it's all over and everything slowly returns to normal, including the economy, Disney would want to try again with originals, though it may be a mix of originals and remakes.

Speaking of remakes, I heard Robin Hood (1973) will also have a live action version. Lol.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Stormy » May 1st, 2020, 5:23 pm

Yup, Robin Hood will be directly to Disney+ like Lilo & Stitch and Lady and the Tramp if I remember correctly.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby Stormy » May 8th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Update regarding the live action Hercules, Russos saying it will be a different story and not follow the original. I heard The Little Mermaid was going to have changes but still a musical, and Mulan of course we've known it won't be a musical. Now I wonder since they will be doing some major changes to Hercules, will it be a musical still? With the Russos, I see it not being a musical.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Postby le0 » May 12th, 2020, 7:32 pm

In a perfect world I wish they'd keep doing beautifully animated movies but it's all live action and 3d now, I guess that's what the broad audience wants.
le0

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Jonas
Pride Points: 15

Postby Stormy » May 26th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Wasn't aware Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was getting a remake, and directed by Marc webb at that. He did The Amazing Spiderman films.

To be quite honest I'm not sure how many of these I'm looking forward to. I've only enjoyed about 2 of the many remakes they've done so far. For sure I want to see Hercules and possibly how The Little Mermaid & Tangled does. But again, with how the rest are turning out, not too sure. Lilo & Stitch will be interesting to see for sure... mostly because I'm wondering how Stitch is going to look lol.
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Next

Return to The Den