Japanese Animation Movies

Re: Japanese Animation Movies

Postby FlipMode » January 29th, 2020, 6:54 pm

[quote="Biomac"]As for Perfect Blue, I heard it's Satoshi Kon's magnum opus, so I'll check this one out for sure. [/quote]

It is a very well directed movie for sure. We had heard about it because we were talking about Japan idol culture and the pressures they are under from fans and managers and my friend in the group chat said "Oh there's a movie about that actually". Fantastic psychological horror. It was originally going to be a live action movie before the Kobe '95 earthquake destroyed all the work and the budget was cut massively and it was basically rebooted as an animated movie which I think is pretty inspiring.

You may also want to check out the NiNoKuni games as well as the movie (which btw released recently on Netflix) the games are pretty solid JRPG games and the cutscenes are animated by Studio Ghibli it really does feel like you're controlling the action of one of their movies :). I'm going to the Ghibli Musuem in Tokyo soon; just monitoring the travel situation at the moment with current events going on...
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Biomac » January 30th, 2020, 3:28 am

YEOW: like everybody else on this forum.

Chizy: I haven't seen this one nor Grave of the Fireflies. Jeez, I haven't watched that many movies by Isao Takahata, haven't I. May he rest in peace, he was one of the greatest.

FlipMode: I'm not that much into video games in general, but maybe I will check it out. Judging by its visuals, Ninokuni looks terrific. And regarding Perfect Blue, I know how psychological it is; I also didn't know that anecdote about this movie, so thanks for sharing. And how lucky, I wish I were able to visit the Ghibli Museum as well.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby Ultra Fox » January 30th, 2020, 6:16 am

i still liek animation sometimez
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » January 30th, 2020, 2:29 pm

[quote="Biomac"]Jules: CitS is the reason why I love cinema; it shaped me as a person. I definitely recommend you watch it, especially if you like Ghibli since it represents an important part of the studio's history.
[/quote]

Thanks Bio. Definitely going to watch it. I was blown away by the trailer and art.

[quote="Chizuna"]The Tale of Princess Kaguya is really good. I love the different animation and art techniques used it it.[/quote]

Oh yes Princess Kaguya was also wonderful film. Gorgeous child-like art.

[quote="FlipMode"]
You may also want to check out the NiNoKuni games as well as the movie (which btw released recently on Netflix) the games are pretty solid JRPG games and the cutscenes are animated by Studio Ghibli it really does feel like you're controlling the action of one of their movies :). I'm going to the Ghibli Musuem in Tokyo soon; just monitoring the travel situation at the moment with current events going on...[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoy the Ghibli Museum. Great merchandises from plushes to clear holders.

NOTE: I think I made a double post. Hope an admin can delete the bottom one.
Last edited by MeerkatOnTheMoon on January 30th, 2020, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » January 30th, 2020, 2:33 pm

I accidentally made a double post. Hope this can be deleted.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Ultra Fox » January 30th, 2020, 8:35 pm

drinku water
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Biomac » April 1st, 2020, 11:11 pm

A new addition to the list: The Castle of Cagliostro.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Biomac

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » April 2nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

Great one. Seen it when I was a kid. Now I want to rewatch it.
Now available to read!
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Postby Biomac » April 4th, 2020, 3:52 am

I agree. Miyazaki was great even during his first movie ever. I noticed that almost all of his gimmicks are already present.

Biomac

Previous

Return to The Den