Thoughts on the Rise of Skywalker?

Thoughts on the Rise of Skywalker?

Postby Stormy » December 23rd, 2019, 5:06 pm

Not leaving spoilers here - but for those who have seen it, got anything to say about it? I saw it opening night with a few friends. I’ve heard a mix of reviews about it. Some say its a terrible ending to the sequel trilogy, some will say it’s the best. I’m not a HUGE Star Wars fan myself, but I thought it was okay.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Re: Thoughts on the Rise of Skywalker?

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 25th, 2019, 3:08 am

Saw it the other night too with a friend. Not a huge Star Wars fan either, so I was just watching for entertainment. Lol. Coming from a general viewer, it was a decent final movie. Having seen the last few movies, I noticed a couple integral characters in the past have been given minor roles due to some hard core fans who complained about them (from the fan wars I saw on social media) even though they brought diversity to the series, so yeah, that seemed like a letdown for many other viewers. There were more praises for "The Last Jedi" over on Twitter.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby TheLionPrince » December 27th, 2019, 5:25 am

The Rise of Skywalker was a satisfying and fan-friendly conclusion to a sequel trilogy that should have been much better than it was. The first hour was pretty much a contradiction from The Last Jedi that answers the origins of Rey and Snoke and while at the same time, it's also saddled with creating a new plot of its own. It feels really crammed for a two-and-a-half hour movie. Overall, I'm mixed on the film, but leaning a little on the positive side.

[b]What I liked:[/b]
Great group dynamic between Rey, Finn, and Poe
Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley gave really good performances.
I'm impressed with the use of deleted footage of the late Carrie Fisher as Leia that they managed to edit it in. For a few of the early scenes, it did seem like it was precisely made for the movie, but there were times where she looks discarded from the rest of the film due to issues with compositing.
Ian McDiarmid is so good at playing Palpatine.
Awesome unexpected cameo appearance of Han Solo
I definitely liked Keri Russell's new character Zorri Bliss. I wished I saw more of her.
I loved the return of Lando Calrissian.
I liked the voice cameos of all the Jedi speaking to Rey at the end. It really connected itself well to the prequels.
It has the escapist adventure and optimistic feel of the original films.
The visual effects of the film were splendid to look at.

[b]What I didn't like:[/b]
Like I said before, the plot is convoluted and its deviations from [i]The Last Jedi[/i] really makes the entire sequel trilogy creatively uneven and lacking a singular vision.

Rey and Ben kissing at the end felt so unearned.

I actually liked that Rey's parents were nobodies. It was refreshing for a time that the Force could choose anyone with no important lineage. I hate that J.J. Abrams reversed that.

Unfortunately, Rose Tico has a limited role. You would think for all the harassment from racists that Kelly Marie Tran received after [i]The Last Jedi[/i], she would get a substantial role in the next film so they won't appear to be appeasing them. I'm glad they kept her character though.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on December 12th, 2020, 3:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Stormy » December 27th, 2019, 5:35 am

I couldn’t agree more about the group dynamics and the visual effects. Just awesome.
Also couldn’t agree more that the Rey & Ben was also unearned. Happens extremely quickly and really caught me off guard.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
View more smilies BBCode is ON [img] is ON [flash] is OFF [url] is ON Smilies are ON
Stormy
Custom Title:

Custom Text:

Pride Points: 14

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 27th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Wonderful points, and I agree with you both on Rey and Ben. The addition of Keri Russell was really great.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules

Postby CrazyNuka » December 28th, 2019, 10:24 am

I just watched Rise of Skywalker today and I pretty much have the same thoughts as TheLionPrince does about it! :D It is a good film and a good conclusion to the Skywalker saga. ^^ Palpatine stole the show for me in this movie! He was so creepy and awesome! Overall, a decent film! ^^
One of the biggest Nuka fans on this forum! I am CrazyNuka but you can also call me CN or Bobby! Let's be friends, shall we? :3 I won't bite! Hehe! I'm just so crazy! Haha!
CrazyNuka
Aaagh this termites!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Well .. I finally got your attention .. didn't I?

Nickname(s): Bobby, CN, Nuka, Booby, Hubba Bubba

Postby Ultra Fox » January 29th, 2020, 3:02 am

he rise. he sky. he walk. who know what do?
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Return to The Den