Top 5 Snubbed Disney Princesses

Re: Top 5 Snubbed Disney Princesses

Postby Elton John » August 19th, 2016, 10:31 pm

That makes a bit of sense.

I still don't like the idea of nala as a disney princess because most would see it as disney saying that simba and nala are siblings when they aren't.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Sushi » August 20th, 2016, 2:06 pm

[quote="Amur_Tiger"][quote="Elton John"]Nala is a Queen and is at no point a princess.[/quote]

The whole 'betrothed' thing should have her as a princess for at least the time up until Mufasa's death.

The list is amusing though, especially since there's two princesses to 'kings of the jungle' involved and from a TLK perspective I think it underscores how unfamiliar TLK was to the usual Disney fare.[/quote]

Indeed. I do think the success of TLK was a complete surprise to even Disney themselves and there is (or was at the time) a reluctance to accept it as a true disney film as it wasn't human based. I have read about how it was supposed to be a "B movie" and out performed other films at the time.

In the vid there was mention of a character not being accepted because she was based of a real person due to part of the film being live action. It would make things difficult for them, having to have a look alike at the Disney parades and so on. I can see the same thing for Nala in that, how would they line her up next to all the other official princesses?
Personally I would love to see a lioness walking round Disneyland greeting kids, but I can't see it happening.
Sushi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Samaki
Telegram: @jagerleopard (https://telegram.me/jagerleopard)
Pride Points: 2

Postby Elton John » August 20th, 2016, 2:58 pm

I don't think that Disney has been reluctant about the franchise since it became a critical and commercial success and won two oscars.

It was the first Disney film I can think of that got a broadway musical. It's the only disney movie I can think of that got an 'inspired by' album (Rhythm of pridelands, a legitimately good album). The 20th anniversary got more fanfare than any other 90's disney film so far. It got two theatrical re-releases. It was the first movie to get a 'legacy collection' album two years ago.

During my disneyworld trip last year there was a fairly sizable amount of merchandise for the movie. Sure there was more frozen stuff, but frozen was the new hotness and tlk is two decades older.

I remember hearing how elton john was initially reluctant about making music for the movie, saying that he thought it would ruin his career. Considering how his concerts are still packed and he tends to perform 'circle of life' and 'can you feel the love tonight' at concerts often and how he performed his tlk music at a disney park this year and helped with the broadway musical I doubt he harbors any ill will.

I can go on and on. I think the real reason why disney doesn't include Nala or Kiara in the princess lineup is because they aren't marketable in the same way belle, jasmine or elsa are.

The disney princess lineup was just a clever marketing tactic. I would say that it shouldn't matter who is considered a disney princess or not, but official ones tend to get the most merch.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » July 24th, 2020, 8:01 am

Disney tends to cater to humans as far as princesses go. Or the fans tend to associate princesses with human characters. I agree that Nala is more of a queen. Princess Kiara counts though.

Underrated ones: Kiara, Merida, Tiana, Rapunzel (compared to the likes of Ariel and Jasmine, Rapunzel is quite underrated). Also, Princess Atta and Princess Dot from A Bug’s Life.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Postby Bunga2019 » October 14th, 2020, 7:40 pm

[quote="PrincessKiara"]Giselle I can completly understand was not added to the official franchise due to her not being an animated character throughout the movie. [/quote]
Right
The Angry Video Game Nerd: "Time?" When you kill things, it says "Time?" What does that mean?
Bunga2019
Nostalgia Nerd

Nickname(s): Wonder Boy
Pride Points: 3

Postby MeerkatOnTheMoon » December 4th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Maid Marian from Robin Hood also comes to mind.
The Lion King III: Hidden Kingdom
Now available to read!
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/14288564/1/The-Lion-King-3-Hidden-Kingdom
MeerkatOnTheMoon
We need a new motto.

Let's get going!

Nickname(s): Jules
Pride Points: 13

Previous

Return to The Den