The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Postby Elton John » January 3rd, 2015, 2:26 am

I thought that instead of creating a topic for every movie in the marvel cinematic universe there would be one main topic.

What is the MCU? It's an intertwined series of movies that share the same universe, ones that are owned by Disney from their Marvel acquisition a few years back. Sony owns the spiderman movie rights and Fox owns the x-men and fantastic four movie rights.

Movies in the MCU are

iron man 1-3
captain america the first avenger and captain america the winter soldier
Thor and Thor: The dark world
The Incredible Hulk
The avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy

MCU movies scheduled for this year are The Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-man. Future MCU movies include black panther, doctor strange, captain america civil war, captain marvel, thor ragnarok, the inhumans, the avengers infinity war and guardians of the galaxy 2.

The MCU is also shared with the TV series agents of shield and upcoming TV series Agent Carter, daredevil, luke cage and iron fist among others.

Big Hero 6, while being based on a marvel comic and sharing several traits of the MCU isn't a part of it.

I'll admit it, these aren't the deepest movies but I love the heck out of them anyway.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Postby TheLionPrince » February 18th, 2015, 1:23 am

Good news, Sony has loaned Spider-Man to be featured in the Marvel Cinematic Universe! Unfortunately, it's another reboot film, and some of the upcoming films have been pushed back.

I've been loving the Marvel Cinematic Universe since summer 2011, when I finally put the pieces together on how the stories of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and the Incredible Hulk intertwine and build upon each other. I've been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. since its inception, though I'm growing bored with it midway through season 2. The mid-season reveal of both seasons were interesting, and I cannot wait to see how the rest of the series builds up to the events of the future MCU films. Agent Carter is a limited series that I really like (since Peggy Carter was an interesting new character I grew fond while watching The First Avenger), although the episodes are very slow-paced. I'm not sure how I will be watching Daredevil, Luke Cage, or A.K.A. Jessica Jones since I don't want to bother with a Netflix subscription.

Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War are films I cannot wait to see in theaters. Ant-Man, I believe, will hopefully surprise a lot of people, and catch a positive word-of-mouth like Guardians of the Galaxy did since it had a tumultuous production history and Ant-Man is one of the "black sheep" superheroes of the Marvel catalogue.

Nevertheless, I share disappointments with the Marvel Cinematic Universe especially with its villains. For example, Iron Man 2 spent most of its screentime building up Whiplash, and he is defeated within less than a minute. Thor: The Dark World had an underdeveloped villain in Malekith that felt more of a plot device than an actual character. Some of these villains fail to provide menace and a sense of fear for our heroes because in some cases, their scenes get cut from the movie and the movies spend much of their time developing the heroes. And all we know a movie is only as good as the villain in most cases. This is why I hope Ultron lives up to the hype given the scale of villainy hinted in the trailers. There's also the problem that Marvel's films have too much light-hearted humor, which I can agree since Guardians of the Galaxy was somewhat too jokey for my tastes. Iron Man 3 squandered a potentially great villain for its twist, which was played for laughs.

In the end, Marvel has a bright future ahead of itself, and I'm glad it inspired Warner Bros./DC Entertainment to invest in their catalogue of superheroes, and produce a shared universe of their own. Nevertheless, I feel the market for superhero films will eventually become too saturated down in the line.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on February 19th, 2015, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » February 18th, 2015, 1:43 am

Yeah, the villains are definitely the weak point of the mcu, the nolan batman films had awesome villains.

But sometimes the villains are awesome like the winter soldier and i love their portayal of loki.

I'll admit that the way they handled the mandarin in im3 was terrible. However for the most part the way they handle the heroes themselves is the best since richard donner superman or tim burton batman. They aren't afraid to embrace the fact that these are comic book characters.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » March 19th, 2015, 1:00 am

I'm all for a Spider-Man reboot. I hope they skip the origin story though and it starts off when Peter has already become Spider-Man, anyone who doesn't already know how it happened probably won't be watching the new one anyway.
Because if they rush through it, the film will suffer but on the other hand, we've had to go through the whole origin story of the genetic modified spider bite, Uncle Ben Dying and not stopping his killer etc... We don't really need to go through all that again IMO.

AND I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT FOR AVENGERS!
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Elton John » March 19th, 2015, 1:17 am

I am praying for spiderman to be miles morales and not peter parker.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » May 12th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Saw the avengers age of ultron a week and a half ago. Loved it.

It has a more compex story than the first avengers, better action and cinematography too. Also the danny elfman songs are awesome.

My main complaint is that the romance between two certain characters came out of nowhere. Otherwise i'd give it a 9.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » October 27th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Well ant-man turned out to be better than the avengers, and next month is the jessica jones netflix series which looks like a departure from the usual marvel stuff.

Next year is captain america civil war which I have high hopes for since the russo brothers are directing. Also the dr strange movie and season 2 of the daredevil which has the punisher in it.

Ant man 2 has been confirmed, called ant man and the wasp. There are rumors that the iron fist tv series has been cancelled which would be very disappointing.

Excited for agent carter season 2.

Guardians of the galaxy vol 2 will start filming soon which I am hyped more for than the new star wars.

The hulk will be in thor ragnarok.

The bad news is that the ms marvel has been pushed back.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » November 20th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Marvels jessica jones starts today, resubbed to netflix but I gotta finish daredevil s1 first. The captain america cw trailer is rumored to be with star wars and the iron fist netflix series was not cancelled.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » April 29th, 2016, 9:43 am

I was wondering where this topic went!

The new captain america is out everywhere except for america IRONY. Luke cage and iron fist netflix shows are filming with the defenders show coming eventually.

Spiderman mcu film is called 'spiderman homecoming'.

Dr strange is set for november.

Guardians of the galaxy vol 2 in may 2017.

Sadly it does not seem like an agent carter s3 will be happening.

Oh! A cloak and dagger tv series is coming. I'm excited for this one.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby Elton John » November 17th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Dr Strange and Cap CW were both good. Both suffer from bland villains, a marvel trope by now. CA CW has higher highs and lower lows. The Tony Stank Joke and the final scene were both terrible (the fight before it was pure awesome) but spiderman and black panther were great and you really get to see just how much Tony has changed since Iron Man 1. Dr Strange has a really cool ending. Everything else was pretty ok.

The Inhumans movie is now an abc tv series. There is going to be a cloak and dagger tv series, plus the runaways.

The next marvel film is my most wanted one. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2.
Elton John
I’m with you

Next

Return to The Den