The SOPA bill

Re: The SOPA bill

Postby DGFone » November 26th, 2011, 1:11 am

[quote="FlipMode"]

Not really. You as an internet user do no have the right to exploit sites that potentially offer free copyrighted material. For example TLK 2 is on youtube in its entirety, and in decent quality too. Sure the person who uploaded it is the real offender there but if you watch it on there (and almost everything on there belongs to some company or another) then you infringe the copyright laws, though YouTube is governed by its three strike policy meaning that viewers are not held accountable for anything. Sorry but the bill if anything protects human rights, as artists and creators they have the right to expect their content to not be available for free online.
Not that I support it in the slightest though.[/quote]

Actually, the bill doesn't support human rights. What it wants to do is enforce copyrights so that people will have to pay for products. This is a good thing.

But the way it goes about enforcing copyright is the big issue. Currently, if you think that a someone is infringing copyright against you, you go get evidence, go to a court, show your evidence, and then the judge decides if you are correct or not. Often times, the defendant gets to defend themselves and try to explain why they are or are not infringing.

The bill wants to bypass this due process of the law and allow the immediate silencing and disposal of anything that is even suspected of breaking copyright. No court, no warning, nothing. Only the big companies that hold copyrights have a say, as in "I think that person X is infringing with their website." BAM! Person X has their website removed from all search engines, the funding immediately cut off, and the only way to access is is by direct IP address.

SOPA doesn't protect human rights. It protects copyrights. In the worst way possible. Sorry Flip, but you got it all wrong.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby BlazePrower9205 » November 26th, 2011, 4:35 am

[quote="KopsTheTerminator"][quote="BlazePrower9205"][quote="DGFone"]Also remember that a few companies spent a large sum of money trying to pass this bill. They won't give up without a fight.
But we won't either.[/quote]

I think we should give up. Tbh, I'm getting really sick and tired of people constantly complaining about this stupid bill. If it passes, it passes. The internet's been going downhill big time anyway, so as most people say, let's just move on. <.<

Sorry for sounding really harsh, but seriously, let's not whine constantly over this. There's nothing we can do about this anyway. I'm already planning on leaving several sites if the bill does get passed. I'm sorry, but this is how I feel right now. I'm done dealing with stuff like this anyway. ^^;[/quote]

Err, this is a discussion board for a reason. We're not whining, we're simply stating our opinion on the matter. If you wish to stop discussing about it, then you can simply avoid this thread.

Aaaaanyways, I'm really against this. It's just a huge violation to human rights, as others have mentioned. =/ I still doubt it will be passed, but it's really starting to worry me.[/quote]

Hey, I'm just giving out my own opinion on this. No need to act all serious about it. <.<;
Leaving. Might be back if the bill doesn't get passed.
BlazePrower9205

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Amitiechu
Pride Points: 2

Postby Noah » November 26th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I think the worst part about this whole bill is the fact that it was originally set to combat a legimate cause. Malicious and dangerous websites are a very real concern. It's just that our tech challenged lawmakers in Washington don't know that this isn't a correct way to handle this. They are suggesting a carte blanche approach. As one congressman from California put it: "It's just too extreme"
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Woeler » December 26th, 2011, 2:41 pm

There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby KopaLeo » January 17th, 2012, 1:17 pm

English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout

sERIOUS STUFF i FOUND ACCIDENTALLY TODAY...

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Eng ... A_blackout
"The more we find out about the universe, the more meaningless it all seems...... The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things that lifts human life a little above the level of farce, and gives it some of the grace of tragedy."
——Steven Weinberg
KopaLeo
Ex Ungue Leonem

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

What is the meaning of my food's life?

Nickname(s): Kopa, Professor, Wise Guy
Pride Points: 4

Postby DGFone » January 17th, 2012, 9:36 pm

From what I heard, is that while SOPA is still alive, there is no way that it will pass at its current state.
So we are winning the war! :)

But it's still alive, and therefore, many websites will go down in 9 hours.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Ultra Fox » January 18th, 2012, 12:06 am

Wikipedia has gained more respect from me now for this.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby SnowyCheetah » January 18th, 2012, 2:05 am

We can participate by changing our profile pictures on social media to anti-SOPA images. http://sopastrike.com/#how-to-strike has an easy tool for Facebook and Twitter users.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby FlipMode » January 18th, 2012, 2:14 am

[quote="KopaLeo"]English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Eng ... A_blackout[/quote]

NOOOOOOO =( WHERE WILL I GET MY INCORRECT FACTS NOW FOR THE DAY?!
J/k I read about that on the train this morning lol
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Ultra Fox » January 18th, 2012, 2:15 am

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="KopaLeo"]English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Eng ... A_blackout[/quote]

NOOOOOOO =( WHERE WILL I GET MY INCORRECT FACTS NOW FOR THE DAY?![/quote]
Tune into Fox news. ;)

They have plenty of false info to go around. :lol:
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

PreviousNext

Return to The Den