Writing prep

Writing prep

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » September 9th, 2019, 1:21 am

I wasn't sure where to put this but if the mods feel that if it belongs somewhere else, I will respect that. Hopefully it isn't the Elephant Graveyard. :lol:

I wanted to ask the other Fanfic authors/writers: How do you get motivated to write? Do you have a weekly routine or do you write on a whim?

I used to be more active here years ago. I had TLK bug really bad. Then, this annoying thing called Real Life caught up so my fandom activities were impacted greatly. It was really bad when I was interning and then I would get an email alert of someone reviewing or favoriting my fics. I missed it. :(

When I was at university, I was able to plan my writing. I would plan it out by weeks. If I couldn't do it a certain weekend, I would see if I could do it the following weekend. This allowed for me to brainstorm ideas. By the time I was able to sit down, I was able to write 2K+ words.

I cannot do that anymore.

I am trying to outline more. Because of my lifestyle now, sitting down and just writing on a whim is impossible. In fact, I find it intimidating and daunting. I was browsing Reddit awhile back and someone suggested outlining. I haven't written anything yet but using this method makes my brainstorming a lot more manageable. I am actually looking forward to sitting down and writing one of these days. After watching the remake, I felt inspired. Dormant ideas that I had became exciting for me. I even carry a notebook now just in case I lose a thought! LOL!

I have created outlines for a few fics. I can't wait to sit down and write them. However, right now I have some real life things that are distracting me. It's nothing major or life threatening but it is an inconvenience.

Another thing I have done to keep the writing muscles going is using prompts. I bought this cool journal with ten word prompts at Five Below. You have to create a story using these words. I am basically writing using that journal instead of fictional (for now). To me, I see it as the same as weight lifting. If you don't do it, your (creative) muscles will atrophy.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Re: Writing prep

Postby Loki_adores_Scar » September 9th, 2019, 8:29 am

I had three weeks off so had enough time to write. I found an old story back (one I had written in Dutch), so I decided to translate it but ideas popped my head so I actually rewritten it.. I write blogs too and write a lot in general, but yeah there are times when there‘s less time. I mostly got inspiration for one fandom, now that‘s TLK so it‘s quite still around my Loki stories. I could open them, but nothing comes while this guy :evil: is haunting my mind. :P
Loki_adores_Scar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby FlipMode » September 10th, 2019, 4:51 pm

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"]
I wanted to ask the other Fanfic authors/writers: How do you get motivated to write? Do you have a weekly routine or do you write on a whim?
[/quote]

Just if I have an idea that I want to actually make happen. Also like; part of the reason I stopped for a while is because I honestly just wasn't very good haha. I was inspired to write by some of the talented authors on here but I was and still am pretty bad at it. Thing is, with how much truly bad fan fiction is out there now, I've started to realise that if you can even spell, use punctuation and structure it so its readable, you're already doing a lot better than a lot of others. I stopped judging myself so harshly. And at the end of the day, I usually just do it because I am bored. Everything I have written collectively has only been seen by maybe a few hundred people at best, which in the grand scheme of things is a tiny amount of people so I stopped being so negative and just put stuff out there, if it sticks great and if not at least I killed a few hours I'd have probably spent playing videogames or something instead.

[quote]I used to be more active here years ago. I had TLK bug really bad. Then, this annoying thing called Real Life caught up so my fandom activities were impacted greatly. It was really bad when I was interning and then I would get an email alert of someone reviewing or favoriting my fics. I missed it. :( [/quote]

Its a hobby. Not a way of life. I'd be lying if I said that seeing a lot of people read, retweet and saying nice things about something I wrote didn't push me to want to carry on but again - its when I am in the mood for writing, not when people want me to.

[quote]When I was at university, I was able to plan my writing. I would plan it out by weeks. If I couldn't do it a certain weekend, I would see if I could do it the following weekend. This allowed for me to brainstorm ideas. By the time I was able to sit down, I was able to write 2K+ words.

I cannot do that anymore. [/quote]

So... Don't. If you wanted to write 2K words, maybe do just 100 for now and you'll have that 2000 in just 20 days. I've had almost entire short stories done in one session before and I've also had sessions where I've only been left with a couple paragraphs I was actually happy with.

[quote] I am trying to outline more. Because of my lifestyle now, sitting down and just writing on a whim is impossible. In fact, I find it intimidating and daunting.[/quote]

I don't know your situation but I work two jobs and am currently in the process of moving to another country. Still find time to enjoy my hobbies, though. Its not that I don't have the spare hour or so to sit and write something, its simply that I decide to spend my time doing other things. Sometimes taking my laptop out with me somewhere quiet helps, though. If I am indoors I will spend my time doing other stuff, even though I am literally supposed to be reading and writing lol I can't blame "my situation", its entirely on me.
My teacher said to me once "Its not that you don't have the time, its that you don't make the time."
Yeah its way too daunting to think about writing a whole story in one shot, so start small and work up to that. I'm learning a new language at the moment and you don't just learn a whole language in a day, but just a few words a day soon adds up.

[quote]Another thing I have done to keep the writing muscles going is using prompts. I bought this cool journal with ten word prompts at Five Below. You have to create a story using these words. I am basically writing using that journal instead of fictional (for now). To me, I see it as the same as weight lifting. If you don't do it, your (creative) muscles will atrophy.[/quote]

Yeah I started doing that a bit as well. We used to have a writing contest on here with a few prompts every week.
But also, I mean even just posting on forums and stuff is a form of creative writing, right? For as long as I have been active here, the members in the "FanFic writers" usergroup have always been the ones who tend to make longer posts. Because much like our stories, our replies in topics are in serious need of a good editor. But its still a chance to practice. I mean you just used the word atrophy... I haven't even ever heard that word before. Point is; try writing in other ways, if you can't get a fanfic going, maybe write a journal or something, or respond to stuff on here. So you're stretching yourself in some way. Just practice and then keep practising, I promise you even if you don't realise it right now, you have more time at your disposal than you realise.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Heleigh » September 17th, 2019, 11:43 am

Good question. My problem has always been laziness what comes to writing. Early in my fan fic career, I had huge problems to update regularly, I was unsure of my skills and admired famous authors and their style. But I just kept going and self-confidence grew with it. Nowadays sure come times when the motivation is lacking from time to time but it comes back when it wants. If I don’t have a mood to write, I do something else and write again when I feel like it. In my case, a break every now and then is good for the imagination since good ideas come by random, not by force.
Last edited by Heleigh on September 19th, 2019, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heleigh
In your reflection

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » September 18th, 2019, 12:13 am

[quote="Heleigh"] In my case, a break every now and then is good for the imagination since good ideas comes by random, not by force.[/quote]

This is a good point.

I think breaks are important. Like you, I have had great ideas come to me when I am not thinking about it. I think Real Life can be good for the creative process. One big reason is that you are not forcing your ideas. Maybe your subconscious or unconscious is working out a detail that isn't working. I have found that this has helped me. Once I have that dry spell that can last weeks or months, then one day BOOM. All those repressed ideas and moments just pour out :lol: I also find that reading helps.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby Heleigh » September 19th, 2019, 9:43 pm

[quote="TheBlackCatCrossing"][quote="Heleigh"] In my case, a break every now and then is good for the imagination since good ideas come by random, not by force.[/quote]

This is a good point.

I think breaks are important. Like you, I have had great ideas come to me when I am not thinking about it. I think Real Life can be good for the creative process. One big reason is that you are not forcing your ideas. Maybe your subconscious or unconscious is working out a detail that isn't working. I have found that this has helped me. Once I have that dry spell that can last weeks or months, then one day BOOM. All those repressed ideas and moments just pour out :lol: I also find that reading helps.[/quote]

Tell me about it. The human mind is a mysterious thing, it creates ideas in the most unexpected circumstances. And yes, I think reading several different types of texts (not just fanfics) is important. It gives perspective and new tips on how to improve your writing. Plus what I have learned that if you plan too much ahead, it's not always probably the best thing to do. I refer to myself here since very often when I start writing a story, it's eventually quite different than the original idea I had in mind. So these days, I simply use "one chapter at a time" - method, it gives more room to think about what happens in the short term but it's not too late to change the plot in the middle of the process if some better idea pops out.

Simple, but powerful (in my opinion) :wink:
Heleigh
In your reflection

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Planning and Characters