Debating, Discussing and whats the difference?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Debating, Discussing and whats the difference?

Postby Woeler » July 11th, 2012, 9:01 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]'craft is playing a game with fellow members co operatively; debating is openly inviting those same people to argue with you... I know which one of those sounds more appropriate to me.
We have debates in the world issues forum as it is; even though moka already said not to lol[/quote]
well, it happens anyway, this will just leave the people that dont want to get involved...uninvolved and the people that dont want to see it wont see it
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby FlipMode » July 11th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Well when you put it that way; it does sound better yeah :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Azdgari » July 12th, 2012, 12:15 am

Have people been complaining that they feel forced into debates in the World Issues forum?
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 114

Postby FlipMode » July 12th, 2012, 12:34 am

[quote="Azdgari"]Have people been complaining that they feel forced into debates in the World Issues forum?[/quote]

No, they don't complain about being forced into it, but they do complain about it in general yeah.
Half of the time these debates occur and you see a lot of posts like "OMG DRAMAZ ON INTERNETZ!" "Another day on MLK." I think that is what Woeler was talking about. The stuff with Noah and personal problems between members, that is the silly drama that plagues this site... People having differing opinions on subject, is a conversation... Quite the difference.
I mean these people are probably reporting these debate threads as drama, hence why a lot of the time they end up being locked. So I do see where he is coming from, in some aspects at least.
FlipMode

Postby Azdgari » July 12th, 2012, 12:43 am

Unless I'm wrong, nothing's been locked since the ban on religious discussion was placed, nor have I seen any of that drama since then. MLK seems to have accepted that debates are going to happen in the World Issues given the nature of the thing, and we debaters have been keeping level heads, and coexisting peacefully with non-debaters, so... we're sailing pretty smoothly if you ask me.

But... who asked me??
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby FlipMode » July 12th, 2012, 12:52 am

^You are right about one thing, no one did ask you, so shut ya pie hole.

Honestly though, there was one a short while back that got locked, and maybe should not have... Ah yeah here it is, viewtopic.php?f=149&t=21948
The debate really came in the last few pages, but nonetheless, it was locked because it was considered drama.
On the other hand, I like that people can contribute to the World Issues threads freely and the current status quo seems to be working pretty well. No other parts of the forum are closed away from the rest, so no reason for any opinionated subjects to be either, I guess.

Edit - and it only takes one person to publicly disagree with a post, so really any thread has potential to turn into a debate anyway... Seems a bit pointless to try and shield the eyes of the younglins from it =D
FlipMode

Postby Azdgari » July 12th, 2012, 1:23 am

Ahh, I missed it because it wasn't in the World Issues forum.
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Postby Woeler » July 12th, 2012, 8:58 pm

The drama starts when someone drops the word "drama"
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby DGFone » July 12th, 2012, 10:09 pm

It's "My Drama King Forums". ;)

Let the DRAMA begin!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Panda-chan » July 13th, 2012, 12:23 am

[quote="Woeler1"]The drama starts when someone drops the word "drama"[/quote]
DRAMA

*takes cover*
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To