Why a movie about Timon and Pumbaa not Scar or Sarabi etc??

Re: Why a movie about Timon and Pumbaa not Scar or Sarabi et

Postby SimbasGuard » January 18th, 2012, 9:52 am

I've stated this in other threads, but I can't say it enough, I accept Lion King 1 1/2 for what it was but this is not how I wanted to say good bye to my favorite characters. Lion King 1 1/2 was not the final chapter That The Lion King deserved. While Lion King 1 1/2 was a great movie to give Timon a better back story than the series did, I really think Lion King 1 1/2 would have been better served from another characters viewpoint or even to tell a story that bridged the gap between Lion King 1 and 2. Perhaps the reason Disney went the way they did was (as has already been stated several times by others in this thread) because presenting a prequel or any other type of story would have been too serious in nature.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Pocahontas » January 19th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Personally I think the animation and story in TLK 1.5 is much better then SP. Because Timon and Pumbaa were major characters in the first film, being the comedy relief, and of course at the time Disney was working their movies into TV shows. (Believe it or not, they were actually good at the time) Like Aladin, Pooh, and then Timon and Pumbaa show. Sarabi isn't that much of a big character, being forgettable if one is not an addict of the film, say you've only seen it once and the most characters most people remembered fondly were- Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa of course. Besides, I love Pumbaa. ^_^
Pocahontas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Average Nerd

Pride Points: 7

Postby Woeler » February 9th, 2012, 6:06 pm

I think the main reason they didn't make another tlk-style movie is because a new movie would possibly mean a new generation (like TLK and SP). This would also mean that main charater Simba would be pretty much out of the picture because Kiara and Kovu are the parents and the newborn(s) are probably the main character(s). Since Simba is the main character it is pretty obvious that they did not want to destroy the original movies by leaving him on the background (or even dead).

Why Timon and Pumbaa? We'll, they're funny. This movie was probably not meant as serious as TLK was. It was more of a comendy show.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Regulus » February 9th, 2012, 10:06 pm

[quote="Noah"]I've been looking everywhere for this since you posted this topic. I thought you might be interested. Back in 1994, the US Government used characters from the Lion King to get kids to eat better, and guess which one's they used? Timon and Pumbaa ;)[/quote]

Yeah, I like to get my nutrition advice from insectivores. :lol:
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby WindAnnWise » April 17th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I know most people like Timon and Pumbaa. They're not in my top 5 fave characters. 1 1/2 is my least fave of the 3.
(It's just barely in my Top 10 fave Disney movies.)
I wish they would've either continued the story from 2, or done Mufasa's or one of the lion's backstory.
To quote Simba from the Timon and Pumbaa ep. of House of Mouse (I miss that show, too!):
"Those guys always get all the attention."
I am also a big fan of: Phantom of the Opera, High School Musical, Harry Potter, Disney in general, Days of Our Lives, musicals in general, Dr. Seuss in general and the Grinch.

"Sometimes, it's better not to say anything."- Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson
WindAnnWise
The Quiet One

Is anybody out there?

Nickname(s): Windy, Wind Ann
Pride Points: 5

Postby Ananda » April 18th, 2012, 2:26 pm

It's because they're funny, and many people already like them.
Ananda

Pride Points: 0

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » April 26th, 2012, 5:02 am

I think a film about the 'first' generation would have to require serious thought and time and I don't think Disney wants to invest in that. They are a business so they would go for something quick, cheap and recyclable and so they went for something kid friendly. I would love to see a prequel of sorts. As an adult, I find that Timon and Pumbaa are so obnoxious and annoying and this is coming from someone who used to watch the cartoon and rented 1 1/2. To me, they rob TLK franchise from its majestic appeal.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby FlipMode » April 26th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Its just business, to put it very short. Everyone loved the characters and Disney wanted to milk that for all it was worth by giving them their own TV show, music videos and just about any other form of merchandise you can imagine.
Not to mention the whole "Hakuna Matata" thing. If you look at it not as a fan, but as someone who just casually saw the first film and that was it, then that is more likely how it would seem.

We will say "OH BUT THERE WERE MORE INTERESTING CHARACTERS THEY COULD HAVE USED WHY TIMON AND PUMBAA?!"
Sad truth is its the same reason that little dude in Ice Age that chases the nuts is always used so much, a fool and their money are easily parted and Disney know how to fool people like that.

We as fans would have like to have had a sequel to learn more about those characters, but the majority just want to laugh at fart jokes, and in business the majority will always be the deciding factor.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Aranitar » June 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm

Obviously Disney did't care about what what kids think i was a kid when it came out...and i remember i was totally disapointed.after watching TLK and SP i didn't care much about Timon and Pumba they where a part of background for me...but Lion King 1/5 just Made me hat Timon and all his crazy past..

There was many things that Disney could use for TLK3 with out killing Simba...Mufasa-Taka-Ahadi-Nala or any other lion's background or even another Pride and it's realationship with the Pride Land

When TLK 1/5 came out It seemed like a new generation of idiot funny films was started and now after years we can see Disney have lost the way through kid's heart.
Megamind was a good cartoon for example but can U copare that with any of Disney Classics?
Aranitar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Anita
Pride Points: 0

Postby Kassam » June 30th, 2012, 6:15 am

They have to market these things. everyone loved Timon and Pumbaa. Im not even sure who sarabi is until I got onto this site. lol
"Mesonoxian? What does that mean?""Use Google lol"
Kassam
A Magician

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sorta...

Pride Points: 3

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies