Trash folder?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Trash folder?

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 3:34 am

I looked around my inbox, and there is the option to 'delete' messages you don't want. So the problem I found is what if you delete a message thinking that you don't need it anymore, only to regret it once you realize that you need it now?

So Moka, is there a way to include a trash folder where deleted messages go to first instead of leaving only dev/null be the destination of all deleted messages?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Trash folder?

Postby Noah » January 15th, 2012, 3:36 am

You mean like a normal folder? Just make one.

Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 3:40 am

Sort of. A normal folder that you can access, but one that only gets filled with messages that you delete. And then, if you delete the messages from the trash folder, then they are gone forever.

So you have a folder, and it has a message in it. You select it and delete it. Instead of disappearing completely, it get instead placed in the trash folder. This way, you have a second chance of making sure that you really don't want to keep the message instead of only one chance.
Last edited by DGFone on January 15th, 2012, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby Noah » January 15th, 2012, 3:41 am

[quote="DGFone"]Sort of. A normal folder that you can access, but one that only gets filled with messages that you delete. And then, if you delete the messages from the trash folder, then they are gone forever.[/quote]
Take another look at that picture. Notice the first radio button option. :P
Siggy by Me

Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 3:45 am

Take another look at that picture. Notice the first radio button option. :P[/quote]

No, you missed the point. I'm talking about a folder like the trash can on your computer. You delete files, and they go to the trash can. Same system here. I am talking about messages you physically deleted, but want them back. Currently, you delete a message, it's gone forever. So why not have one final place for deleted messages first?
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Noah » January 15th, 2012, 3:48 am

[quote="DGFone"]No, you missed the point. I'm talking about a folder like the trash can on your computer. You delete files, and they go to the trash can. Same system here. I am talking about messages you physically deleted, but want them back. Currently, you delete a message, it's gone forever. So why not have one final place for deleted messages first?[/quote]
Instead of "deleting" them, just have the file moved to another folder entitled "Recycle Bin" and when you want the contents gone forever, delete that folder's contents. I realize that's a silly way to do it, but it would save a lot of time and energy that would be used to insert an actual Recycle Bin that would do the exact same thing.
Siggy by Me

Noah

Only the lonely can play

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 3:52 am

[quote="Noahcs"]
Instead of "deleting" them, just have the file moved to another folder entitled "Recycle Bin" and when you want the contents gone forever, delete that folder's contents. I realize that's a silly way to do it, but it would save a lot of time and energy that would be used to insert an actual Recycle Bin that would do the exact same thing.[/quote]

The problem with this is that the mentality behind it is very different. You will have to learn to move all messages you don't want to the recycle bin folder instead of deleting them. This is why on your computer, when you delete a file, it get's sent to the recycle bin instead of having you move the files yourself to the same folder. As far as a computer is concerned, it's the same operation. But for a human, it isn't.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Tabby » January 15th, 2012, 3:54 am

[quote="Noahcs"]You mean like a normal folder? Just make one.

Image[/quote]

I didn't know it, thanks xD...

And well, I think noah's idea doesn't seem that hard, it's pretty much a solution imo.

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Postby DGFone » January 15th, 2012, 5:13 am

[quote="SimbaCanHazDonut"][

I didn't know it, thanks xD...

And well, I think noah's idea doesn't seem that hard, it's pretty much a solution imo.[/quote]

Like I said, the solution is in the end the same computationally wise. The difference is all mentally: instead of casually deleting your messages, you will have to manually move them to another folder. Like I said, I want there to be some sort of back-up system (in the form of a trash folder) that allows you to un-delete messeges which you deleted.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby MalibuTrashDog » February 8th, 2012, 1:53 am

Oh gosh another thread that could have been answered if people just play around inside their control panels a bit more.
MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The trash that collects you.

Nickname(s): Malibu, Sam
Pride Points: 100

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To