Let's be nice about MLP

Re: Let's be nice about MLP

Postby DGFone » November 10th, 2011, 7:11 pm

^I have to agree a million times with FlipMode on this.

I actually PMed another member (not telling who) about this: Yes, it's bad that people hat on MLP, but you need to look at it also from the other perspective: on the other hand, some people don't want to deal with MPL on a constant basis on MLK. It's about both sides quieting down, not just the haters shutting up. Because be honest here, fans can be just as bad as haters.

So to sum it up:

Hater don't hate.
BUT ALSO:
Lovers don't love.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby WildSimba » November 10th, 2011, 7:14 pm

I agree, the ponies definately need to be toned down. For now on, we should just keep to our own topic, because it can be a tad annoying to some people going into the den for fun, and all they see is ponies. It's kinda like when your trying to have a conversation with someone, and they just post a bunch of image macros instead of talking back.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Woeler » November 10th, 2011, 7:21 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]I do not have a problem with people who like it, my only gripe is how stupid the fanbase are about it. Like okay you like a show, but do you have to constantly bring it up in every thread, change your names over it etc...? Can it not be enough to just say "I like the show" and maybe have one dedicated thread in which to discuss it with other fans, so that people (like me) who do not like it then do not have to see and hear it everywhere we go?
[/quote]
You are reading my mind...
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Applejack » November 10th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Snowy here. Think about it this way, friends. We as Lion King fans hate being made fun of, no? Or hated? It is the same for us MLP: FiM fans. Think about how you would feel for being made fun of and hated before you judge us, please!
Applejack

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

oo0o0o0o0oo000oo

Nickname(s): AJ, Rich
Pride Points: 16

Postby FlipMode » November 10th, 2011, 8:48 pm

I haven't seven seen anyone hating anyone on here when it comes to MLP o.o am I missing something or is this just being blown way out of proportion?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby WildSimba » November 10th, 2011, 8:49 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]I haven't seven seen anyone hating anyone on here when it comes to MLP o.o am I missing something or is this just being blown way out of proportion?[/quote]

There's definately been some hating, on both sides.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Applejack » November 10th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Aye. I hope we get to a peaceful solution. I'd hate to see us MLP fans taken away D:
Applejack

oo0o0o0o0oo000oo

Nickname(s): AJ, Rich
Pride Points: 16

Postby Misiziri » November 10th, 2011, 9:03 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]Okay so I heard there was some drama on this subject earlier, I did not see it, nor was I aware of it and still quite frankly do not care enough to look, but here is my issue with the fans of the show.

I do not have a problem with people who like it, my only gripe is how stupid the fanbase are about it. Like okay you like a show, but do you have to constantly bring it up in every thread, change your names over it etc...? Can it not be enough to just say "I like the show" and maybe have one dedicated thread in which to discuss it with other fans, so that people (like me) who do not like it then do not have to see and hear it everywhere we go?

Not trying to cause dramatics here or anything, personally I could not care less about it, I mean I don't like it and while I have been in discussion about it with fans on here and IRL about what we do / do not like about it, not once have I flamed anyone or the show (at least not intentionally)

But on that same note, you really do not have a clue how annoying it is seeing it everywhere on here. Especially considering I come on here for TLK or to tak about other things with fans of the films and instead all the interest has focused onto MLP.

Reminds me quite a lot of the BF3 VS MW3 flame wars that go on... If the fans did not constantly express their love and fanboyism, the haters would have nothing to be annoyed over in the first place, in fact I dare say it is a minor form of unintentional trolling.[/quote]

Rock on, Flip. Also, quit trying to make it seem like we haters are the only bad guys. I don't have a problem if you respect my opinion, but blaming everything on us, "oh you h8rs calm down lawl" isn't right. We're both at fault. I fully agree with Turtles FlipMode.
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby BlitzRogue » November 10th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Well, as per usual, it seems like Flip's got the right of things here. Not much more I can add but my agreement.

Yeah, haters can be bad, but oftentimes they only come across as haters in the first place because the fans go overboard and give them a valid reason to hate. It's the same issue I have with things like "gay pride" and street evangelism for varying religions. As a matter of fact, I'm a big supporter of equal rights for everyone (including homosexuals), and that includes a person's right to practice the religion of their choice or something as simple as watching and enjoying a particular show; it's just that the supporters always tend to be far more vocal than is necessary (or good for the cause), and it just ruins the image of whatever those people are trying to give support to.

I mean, look at my signature; I don't think I can really deny that I'm a big fan of the show, but that doesn't change the fact that this is, first and foremost, a Lion King devoted forum. Discussion really shouldn't turn to MLP unless the thread itself is in the off-topic forum and particularly devoted to MLP-based conversation. It's just best that we keep discussion of the two separate from another, I think.
Last edited by BlitzRogue on November 10th, 2011, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzRogue
Conversation Killer

| Lackadaisical Enthusiasm |

Nickname(s): Blitz, Kyle, KJOokami
Pride Points: 6

Postby NightmareMoon » November 10th, 2011, 9:32 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]
I do not have a problem with people who like it, my only gripe is how stupid the fanbase are about it. Like okay you like a show, but do you have to constantly bring it up in every thread, change your names over it etc...? Can it not be enough to just say "I like the show" and maybe have one dedicated thread in which to discuss it with other fans, so that people (like me) who do not like it then do not have to see and hear it everywhere we go?
[/quote]
While this is a good point, you have to see that other people are going to inevitably show their interest in different ways.

While one person may just be like "Oh this is good, I like it." And does nothing.
The next guy may like it just as much and think "Hey, if I talk about it, or change my name, I might make some new friends or somebody I've never talked to might notice me."

When fans of the same thing talk to one another, the topic is going to be talked about somewhere/sometime. It's not like they are meant to purposefully annoy people, or steal the "spotlight" of the site to becoming an MLP one. It's not that at all. We are just being fans of the show, and through our conversation, showing that fandom. If we choose to be "fanboys" as you call it, we will be. It's just how we want to be. Also, if you don't like the fandom and it's content, you don't have to read the topics that have MLP stuff in it! Plain and simple. =]

BTW, I'm not trying to attack anybody with this, I just want to bring up an opposing viewpoint for you guys to think about.

I know that I don't bring it up all the time. But when I talk about it (Which I do admit, is quite a bit) I never change topics from lion king topics to it. I usually just post about it in The Den. Which is meant for all topics of conversation anyway.

[quote="FlipMode"]

Reminds me quite a lot of the BF3 VS MW3 flame wars that go on... If the fans did not constantly express their love and fanboyism, the haters would have nothing to be annoyed over in the first place, in fact I dare say it is a minor form of unintentional trolling.[/quote]
Isn't that what this site is dedicated to, though?
MLK is meant for "fanboyism" about The Lion King. People have made their names extreme names like myself and many others because of their love for the movie. People outside of this community might see it as annoying too. So what your saying is that names like NalasMate would be unintentional trolling? I'm not sure I see how MLP fans and TLK fans differ in this regard.

Also, saying that we're both at fault (MLP Haters and MLP Lovers) is absurd. The MLP Lovers are just talking about MLP. Maybe too much, I admit. But still, because we are talking about it so much, makes us in the wrong? Elaborate. I'm not sure how that makes sense.

If you could give me an example where we have intentionally caused problems, then my last point will prove invalid, but until you can, I stand by it.

Just as a side note, I'm not attacking you FlipMode. I just would like to point out counter-arguments as food for thought. But I do see where the concern comes from.
NightmareMoon
The one and only NM =]

The night... will last.... FOREVER!!

Nickname(s): NM, Jamie
Pride Points: 19

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements