Nala's Shadows

Nala's Shadows

Postby Malenga » October 18th, 2011, 6:19 am

"So it is with a heavy heart that I assume the throne. Yet, out of the ashes of this tragedy, we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era... in which lion and hyena come together, in a great and glorious future!"

To this day, those words still echoed through Nala's ears like lightning in the stormy skies. When Nala was a cub, she didn't understand what was going on entirely until her mother told her; Simba and king Mufasa were killed in an accident involving a stampede and due to the bloodlines, Scar was to take on responsibility since Simba was dead. It didn't sit right with her, even back then when her mind was numbed to all the happenings of that day. She had lost her best friend (and my future husband), and her leader. Both so close to Nala, and it scared the very tail off of her to think that one day her own mother could be ripped away from her as well.

The morning resembled the night; dark, but with the added dreariness that night time lacked for the better. Nala's bright fur stood out from the ash colored lands she had lived in since she was younger, and even though she had gotten plenty of time to get used to everything dying, she remained strong and remembered the lands before. She was the first to emerge from the den, meaning she would have some nice time to herself before the king and his 'loyal' subjects would follow her in awareness.

Quietly, Nala pawed through the dead grasses and cracked dirt to the little water they had left near Pride Rock. Nala knew that she couldn't travel far, or Scar would find out and possibly punish her for her wrong doings. She remembered the time when he called all the lionesses together and told them where they could and couldn't go, what they could and couldn't do, and who they could and couldn't be with. It was easy to tell this confident-in-himself king was a not-so-confident-in-his-subjects king as well. Other lionesses had already been shown what the might of the new king could do to them if they stepped out of line, but Nala knew she was only biding her time until she was completely sure she could find an out for her family and friends. It's all the hyenas, she told herself.

"Nala?" A soft, cracked voice broke her train of thought as the lioness looked over her shoulder. It was Sarafina. Though Sarafina wasn't too old, her bones were pushing harshly against her pelt as a sign that she hadn't eaten much lately whilst her lids were drooped. Nala knew her mother hadn't slept well in the past few months as the starvation and paranoia was starting to get to her fragile being.

"Mom," Nala rushed over to the lioness and nuzzled her cheek, "are you alright?" She knew it wouldn't be much use asking such an obvious answered question, but the powerless lioness had really no other choice. She cared for her mother deeply, and with the lack of ability to do anything for Sarafina in her state, Nala truly didn't know how she was going to get most of the lionesses out of this situation alive.

Sarafina nudged Nala's head away softly with a broken, but sincere smile. "Of course, my dear. I'm just tired". They all were; it was clear as day in the others' faces, though the king nor his mutts would care as long as they got their food.

"I can try and catch you something, but I--"

"No, save your strength. You don't know when you'll need it." Sarafina's paranoia wasn't toxic to Nala, but Nala could feel herself winding down to the young resilliance that everything was going to be okay.

As Nala turned her head to sigh in defeat, she noticed a body. Definite that it wasn't someone from the pride; no lioness in Pride Rock was such a tanned peach with an ebony tail tip. Curiosity suited for her, Nala's ears perked like her senses and she started forward to check it out. Possibly an intruder taking food they all needed, or someone who could help them-- Nala had to be sure.

Quickly, her hunting cat mode was snatched away from her as her tail was to her mother's mouth. "Nala!"

"What? Mom, you saw it too! I have to check it out!" The lioness started again, but she was pulled back again.

"I don't need to be down one more important lion of this pride--"

"Mom," Nala was hesitant to face her mother completely as she wanted to keep herself placed in the direction of this new, mystery feline so she could make a speedy chase to him when she convinced Sarafina to allow her off, "it's the pride that's making me go and see who it is. If this feline could help us, then... who knows? Maybe things can change."

Sarafina's bright, yet tired, eyes made it obvious that she had a glimmer of faith in this new adventure her daughter was seeking, but it was hard to let her daughter go. Like having the deaths of two lions before her wasn't enough. But Nala was an adult now... "But Scar--"

"Will never find out. Trust me, I'll be back in no time."

Sarafina sighed and, with what seemed like more effort than should have been needed, stepped back as a signal for Nala to bound off. And that's just what Nala did, no obstacles of nature nor any hyenas or lions to keep her off track. Just a set target and the strength her legs could muster up to carry her to what could be her savior.
Rina Bly Pauwau Malenga
"Everyone has a laughing place. Problem is most folks won't take the time to look for it." --Disney.
Malenga
Rina Bly Pauwau Malenga

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Cetshwayo x Malenga

Nickname(s): Rina, Malenga, Mally, Mal, Giraffe
Pride Points: 6

Re: Nala's Shadows

Postby TheWhistlerify » October 18th, 2011, 8:33 pm

This is very well written. I hope you plan on continuing this.
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Nala's Shadows: Part II

Postby Malenga » October 19th, 2011, 12:16 am

As Nala's paws crossed the terrain of broken earth, she felt her heart tearing two ways; she was happy that she could have perhaps found someone who could help the pride out of this mess, and also nervous as she didn't know what this new lion would do when it found her following in pursuit. Lions were hunters, so of course it was a game to Nala at the moment. Though the lioness wasn't tall, she could see the grasses in front of her moving which meant she was probably on the right track. Her chest started to rise dramatically before she stopped in her tracks and raised her muzzle to the sky. Nala began to flem, making a loud hissing noise that helped her with the finding of her target.

Suddenly it seemed like the roles had been reversed; Nala was being hunted now as she noticed the figure turning right back around and coming towards her. Probably from all the noise she was making. As she was sure she was nothing to really 'terrify' someone with, she was also not about to let her ground be walked over by someone else.

Before she could even have a chance to blink, Nala was staring into eyes the color of topaz, outlined with a black and orange mane. Nala also found herself staring up at the lion, who she knew for sure now was a male, but also forcing herself to determine where she'd seen those one-of-a-kind eyes before.

The lioness began to open her mouth in attempts to break the ice with this lion, but he beat her to it. "You were following me" he stated, obviously confused, yet impressed with what he'd found.

Nala found herself cocking her head back and looking the male over before she sneered. She took one more look at him. This male had it well; his shoulders and legs were sturdy and well built; he was tall; and his mane had probably started earlier in his youth since it was almost fully coating his neck by now. He looked no older than Nala did.

"I was," Nala cleared her throat, "because I don't know who you are, or what you want with our land."

"Just a rogue passing by" answered the male, hesitantly placing a paw in the air like he was about to step away from her to end the conversation. His body swiveled before placing the paw down and looking back at Nala. "Honestly," he sighed, "I came back to see Simba."

Though it was faint, Nala could hear her heart shattering just a little more than it already had been. Hearing her best friend's name again, it brought her back to the words Scar had told them...

"Mufasa's death was a terrible tragedy; but to lose Simba, who had barely begun to live..."

Nala was the one to turn away now. "You wasted your time coming here then" she practically whispered, her nose stinging from the sensation of tears wanting to burst from her eyes. The lioness started walking away, all hopes of achieving the Circle of Life for her pride, vanished. Just like Simba and Mufasa.

"I don't understand." Nala turned around and looked at the lion again, tears luckily not coming to her eyes quite yet.

She sighed. She figured he would question her further since he obviously had no idea what had happened to the prince and king, but she was barely even able to find words for her own hear to handle. Like hearing it once wasn't enough, she had to have the tragic night replay over and over again in her mind.

Nala opened her mouth before she suddenly perked her ears and looked at the boy. "Came back?" She asked with more interest, looking over her shoulder at him intently, obviously starting to freak the lion out. "As in, you've been here before?"

"I was one of Simba's friends--"

"Wait, wait, wait!" Nala looked over the male for a moment before she noticed one key feature: ear tufts. Suddenly, everything just clicked. "Malka? Is that you?"

'Malka' froze for a moment before he stepped forward slightly, looking down at the lioness in front of him. Obviously the name had caught his attention. "Nala?"
Rina Bly Pauwau Malenga
"Everyone has a laughing place. Problem is most folks won't take the time to look for it." --Disney.
Malenga
Rina Bly Pauwau Malenga

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Cetshwayo x Malenga

Nickname(s): Rina, Malenga, Mally, Mal, Giraffe
Pride Points: 6

Postby TheWhistlerify » October 27th, 2011, 8:40 pm

cool x]
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Postby Panthera Arohanui » October 29th, 2011, 9:37 am

Excellent start so far! Am definitely looking forward to seeing more. :D
Simba: Dad? We're pals, right?
Mufasa: Right.
Simba: And we'll always be together, right?
Panthera Arohanui
You MUST take your place...

...in the circle of life.

Pride Points: 5

Postby cleargreenwater » October 29th, 2011, 2:53 pm

...Totally enjoying this. :D
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby Kina » December 12th, 2011, 2:21 am

This has quite a bit of promise, Malegna. I'm hoping that you'll be continuing it at some point. ^^
Kina

Kina, lioness of the dusk.

Nickname(s): Moonlight
Pride Points: 9

Postby Awali » January 20th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Very good so far. Keep it going! :D

We press play, don't press pause.
Progress, march on.
With the veil over our eyes,
we turn our back on the cause.
'Till the day that my uncles can be united by law,
when kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart.
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are.
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all,
but it's a good place to start.
Awali

Nickname(s): Awali, Rj.

Return to Fan Fictions