Adobe photoshop or illustrator?

Want to show your art to other artists in a gallery setting? Check out the Fan Art Albums!

Adobe photoshop or illustrator

photoshop
80%
illustrator
20%

Total votes : 5

Adobe photoshop or illustrator?

Postby it means no worries » November 14th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Hi guys, im starting to do digital fan art and am struggling alot with MS paint and ive decided that i could do with some new software, ive heard good things about photoshop and illustrator, ive heard that photoshop is better for colours but illustrator is easier for mouse users and things like that but id really appreciate your views.
Anyway please can you vote and give a reason for your choice in the comments?
it means no worries

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 63

Re: Adobe photoshop or illustrator?

Postby DGFone » November 15th, 2014, 7:44 am

If you are not sure, I would go with GIMP for one simple reason: It's free. Much less to lose when you try out a free program and decide that you don't like it, (and if you are going there after MS Paint, it's a pure upgrade as well), just uninstall and done.

Compare that to dropping several hundred dollars on a program. Sure, there are the trials that let you try it, but do to things like learning curves and all that, I find that the time period offered in these free trials tends to not be enough to decide properly.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby NalasSon » November 15th, 2014, 7:55 am

I agree with DGFone. I started with GIMP and worked my way up to using Photoshop for my fan art.
Join the website that I've put an unthinkable amount of time into creating:
“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
NalasSon
Don't Stop Me Now

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

♫ 'Cause I'm having a good time ♫

Pride Points: 2

Postby it means no worries » November 15th, 2014, 9:40 am

thanks guys :) ill give GIMP a go then!
it means no worries

Postby Carl » November 15th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Honestly, I tried GIMP and could not figure it out for the life of me; seeing as it's free, yeah, go ahead and try it if you'd like. I've also heard that Paint Tool SAI is free, but I'm not sure about it. I learned Photoshop for school, but I didn't have to pay for it. If I had, I wouldn't use it. But Illustrator is not that good for drawing really. I learned it in school too and Photoshop is leaps and bounds better than Illustrator; besides just the colours, and this is coming from someone who does their digital art with the mousepad on a laptop...

But yeah, give GIMP a go, see what you think. Maybe investigate SAI, find out if it really is free, give it a try if it is. In the end it's personal preference, but you obviously wanna try what's free first.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Jammy » May 18th, 2015, 10:19 pm

I agree, go with Gimp, but if you ever are in a place to try photoshop and illustrator, I definitely would! I know my school supplies it for us, so that's nice. I also just got Manga Studio, which was only $25, a lot cheaper than Adobe products. I haven't been able to use it too much yet, but now that it's summer, I'm going to have a lot of fun with it! It has good brush stabilization, so it should be good for mouse users. :)

As for Photoshop and Illustrator, it's really a style preference.
With Photoshop, you can make something more like this: http://veszely.deviantart.com/art/Upendi-526608722
It looks more painterly as opposed to Illustrator, which uses vector imaging. It allows you to make very smooth shapes, I find it very fun to do! Here's some Illustrator stuff: http://veszely.deviantart.com/art/Moral ... -525599769 http://veszely.deviantart.com/art/Bored-Cubs-520266613

Both are fun, but they get very different results! Good luck! :3
Jammy

Nickname(s): Jammy
Pride Points: 9

Postby it means no worries » June 3rd, 2015, 8:57 pm

^Thanks!
it means no worries

Postby Timon the great » October 25th, 2020, 11:25 pm

"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Return to Fan Art