Will 'The Lion King' ever get a 4K HD blu ray?

Will 'The Lion King' ever get a 4K HD blu ray?

Postby Elton John » March 21st, 2016, 7:18 pm

This is the movie that would make me shell out the money for one of those fancy pants ultra hd tv's. Assuming the movie got a high quality transfer, which disney doesn't do for all their blu ray releases (sword in the stone/robin hood i'm looking at you).
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Will 'The Lion King' ever get a 4K HD blu ray?

Postby Soren » March 21st, 2016, 11:56 pm

Actually, Disney did release TLK on Blu-ray 3D. I also found out that Samsung's SUHD TV's will take something that is Blu-ray quality and upscale it to to 4K quality. Good 4K upscaling is actually very good, and it can be very hard to tell a difference between a true 4K resolution movie and a movie that's been upscaled by the TV. However, a lower end UHD TV will have very poor 4K upscaling compared to a higher end one. Hope this helps!
Chasing Cars Sig by SimbasMate

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I may return.

Nickname(s): Hummingbird, Kiaraholic, Stranger, Dumbo, Balto
Pride Points: 31

Postby Elton John » March 22nd, 2016, 12:22 am

I don't want a 3D tv. I also don't want it to be upscaled, but native 4k.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Tora » March 22nd, 2016, 12:28 am

Yeah up scaling will never match native 4k unless the bit rate is high enough. Even then native will look better.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Soren » March 22nd, 2016, 12:46 am

Well then, I guess you would have to wait till they release it in 4k, if they ever do so :(

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I may return.

Postby Tora » March 22nd, 2016, 12:54 am

Yeah I have the Blue Ray and the Blue Ray in 3D, but I don't have a 3D tv. :lol:
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby TheLionPrince » March 22nd, 2016, 3:45 pm

Audiences, for the last half of the decade, have just upgraded to 1080p television sets and Blu-Ray players so it's way too soon for a market change and for them to upgrade their current slate of video entertainment. What needs to happen is for the cost to come down, and for 4K Blu-Ray to obtain more Hollywood support. Sony has made several releases with some of their titles, and so has Netflix with streaming their latest content. In the end, 4K Blu-Ray is still in its infancy so in my highest opinion, The Lion King in 4K Blu-Ray may not get a release until the next decade.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Soren » March 23rd, 2016, 1:43 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Audiences, for the last half of the decade, have just upgraded to 1080p television sets and Blu-Ray players so it's way too soon for a market change and for them to upgrade their current slate of video entertainment. What needs to happen is for the cost to come down, and for 4K Blu-Ray to obtain more Hollywood support. Sony has made several releases with some of their titles, and so has Netflix with streaming their latest content. In the end, 4K Blu-Ray is still in its infancy so in my highest opinion, The Lion King in 4K Blu-Ray may not get a release until the next decade.[/quote]

Yeah, this will probably turn out to be true.

And it's quite frustrating to me because it seems to me that Disney doesn't give the TLK Trilogy enough attention when it comes to re-releases of their movies on the newest formats that are available.
:x

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

I may return.

Return to Beyond The Lion King