Versus: TLK edition! (Compare two and pick a favourite!)

Versus: TLK edition! (Compare two and pick a favourite!)

Postby PrincessKiara » September 16th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Compare two Lion King characters/songs/lines/scenes/whatever of your choosing and pick a favourite of the two options. Feel free to use anything and anyone from the Lion King universe (canon) from the original TLK, SP and even Lion Guard.. which will be easier after it airs and we know more about it. ;)

Say, if you`re putting two characters up against each other, please explain the reason why you choose your favourite. They don`t have to be from the same movie.

I`ll be posting two examples below. Reply to the comparisons posted by the person above you and add your own (one or two) to keep the thread running.

Examples:

Lion King vs. Simba`s Pride

Lion King will always rule. SP is good, but TLK is the best!

Kiara vs. Vitani

I do like both these characters, but was never truly able to connect with Vitani. I love Kiara, so I choose her!

So you can pick your favourites out of the pairings I posted, and make up your own for more people to reply to. Hope this gave you a good idea of how this works, enjoy!
Last edited by PrincessKiara on September 19th, 2015, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Versus: TLK edition! (Compare two and pick a favourite!)

Postby juhouh » September 18th, 2015, 4:39 pm

I don't think I understood the idea of this but I'm brave and take the first step

so... I choose my favorites of your comparisons, right ok
TLK (for many reasons, atmosphere, music...) and Vitani (because she's just way more interesting character)

now I'll make 2 of my own

Adult Nala vs cub Nala
Sorry cub Nala but I like more your adult form because she looks stunning

Scar vs Simba
Scar. Simba lacks self-esteem
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby PrincessKiara » September 19th, 2015, 9:24 pm

[quote="juhouh"]I don't think I understood the idea of this but I'm brave and take the first step

so... I choose my favorites of your comparisons, right ok
TLK (for many reasons, atmosphere, music...) and Vitani (because she's just way more interesting character)

now I'll make 2 of my own

Adult Nala vs cub Nala
Sorry cub Nala but I like more your adult form because she looks stunning

Scar vs Simba
Scar. Simba lacks self-esteem[/quote]

Thanks for being brave and taking the first step! Perhaps I didn`t explain it well enough in my opening post, sorry about that. You didn`t need to make 2 of your own, 1 would have been good enough, but thanks a lot for starting us off. :D

Adult Nala vs Cub Nala - I really love Nala, both as a cub and adult. Gonna have to go with Adult Nala though, as we spend much more time with her as a grown-up. Adult Nala retains her cub spirit, but is also wise, strong, adventurous and has a strong sense of justice.
Scar vs Simba - I am going with Scar here. I`ve never been a big fan of Simba actually, and I think Scar is a good, iconic and memorable villain.

I am posting two new ones below:

Nuka vs. Ed - Choosing Ed. He`s a good comic relief character, while I find Nuka mostly annoying. His death scene is moving and memorable, and his struggle to gain Ziras approval is interesting on some level, I just never really connect or sympathize with him.

I Just Can`t Wait To Be King vs. Upendi - Yeah, no contest here.. IJCWTBK totally wins.

To the next person wanting to continue the game: Reply to my comparisons (Nuka or Ed and pick which song you like better) and post one or two new comparisons to keep the thread going.
PrincessKiara

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby juhouh » September 20th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Nuka vs. Ed - Nuka definitely. There's much more behind him than with Ed. I'm not a fan of comical characters but these two are exceptions. I don't really care how "funny" they are but they are a nice addition and a bit different than your any other typical dull comical characters (ie. Timon & Pumbaa)

I Just Can`t Wait To Be King vs. Upendi - Yeah, no contest here.. Upendi totally wins. I don't like cub Simba at all!

------------

Mufasa vs. Kovu - Mufasa, he's a real king also looks like it. Kovu reminds me too much of young adult Simba sometimes
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PrincessKiara » September 21st, 2015, 6:57 pm

Mufasa vs. Kovu Definitly Mufasa. He`s a good father (presumably) a good, wise king and an allround great character. His design is great, his voice is perfect and the scenes he and Simba share are some wonderful and touching moments that really stay with you.

Next:

The Hyena trio (Shenzi, Banzai and Ed) vs. Timon and Pumbaa - I am choosing the Hyena trio. I think Timon and Pumbaa are OK, they make me smile in TLK sometimes, but I can also find them annoying and think they`re overrated. The hyenas are an interesting addition. They`re not your typical stupid henchmen working for the villain.

Rafiki vs. Zazu - Rafiki is my choice. I do like Zazu too, but Rafiki is just so great and memorable. In TLK he acts both wise and crazy, and in SP he plays the role of matchmaker, though I think Kiara and Kovu would have gotten together anyway.
PrincessKiara

Postby juhouh » September 23rd, 2015, 5:52 pm

The Hyena trio (Shenzi, Banzai and Ed) vs. Timon and Pumbaa - Hyeno trio, they are very interesting villains! What comes to Timon and Pumbaa, I hate them, they shouldn't have been in either movies

Rafiki vs. Zazu - Rafiki, the only non-lion/hyena character I tolerate. Zazu goes into same category with T&P unfortunately

--

Art vs. Music (TLK & SP overall) - if I have to choose which I like better in both movies I lean towards art. Hans Zimmer sure made some awesome tracks but the artists had some unique and nice way to draw the atmosphere and especially the characters that just pleased my eye. One of the main reasons why did I in the first place got so interested in TLK fandom and even decided to join MLK was that. I think Balto copied TLK a bit in that category (or it's just me who sees the similarity)

Simba's Pride vs. The Lion King 1½ - people have varying opinions on this. For me the answer is clear; Simba's Pride
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Postby PrincessKiara » September 24th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Art vs. Music (TLK & SP overall) - Music. The art is beautiful and stunning, and it`s even very good in Simba`s Pride, despite being made by the TV animation department. But the music... oh wow, the music! The majestic scores, the catchy tunes, the memorable songs, the powerful lyrics.. The only weak points are Hakuna Matata and Upendi, but other than that the soundtracks/scores of both films are amazing.

Simba's Pride vs. The Lion King 1½ - SIMBA`S PRIDE. I try to forget that other movie was ever made.

NEXT:

Scar vs. Zira - Scar. He is so iconic, so cool yet so evil. He`s somewhat in the same style of Jafar, another villain I really enjoy. Zira is a great villain too, though.

Baby Simba vs. Baby Kiara - Kiara is in my opinion both cuter as a baby and more fun to watch. I love how her personality is shown from the moment we see her, wheres Baby Simba, although adorable, was much more passive.
PrincessKiara

Postby Lauren » September 25th, 2015, 5:33 am

Scar vs. Zira: I love both of these villains and each of them have their strengths, but I'm definitely gonna have to side with Scar on this one. He's manipulative, cruel, narcissistic, abusive, and he left so much emotional baggage on his nephew and he even continued to traumatize him after he died. That alone is impressive as to how good of a villain he is.

Baby Simba vs. Baby Kiara: Defiantly Baby Simba. That sneeze alone sells that for me on the adorable scale. :)

---

Circle of Life vs. He Lives In You: Both of these songs that introduce the first and second movie are wonderful, but I actually prefer He Lives In You. I guess its due to the message of the song, which talks about how those we love continue to stay with us even after they die and they watch our families continue. Also, I prefer the more quiet beginning of the song when it starts with the African rhythm.
Lauren

Postby Hatari05 » September 30th, 2015, 1:51 am

Can you feel the love tonight vs Love will find a way: Both are great but I prefer Love will find a way for a few reasons. One I like the lyrics better I also prefer the instruments and sounds used but the biggest reason for me is that the overall scene works better in Simba's Pride as good as the love scene in the first movie is and make no mistake it's good the one in the second one just feels more earned we have seen Kovu and Kiara develop their relationship there is a deeper bond between them making the whole scene just more satisfying.

Look at the stars vs We are One: I have to give this to we are one in truth I find both parents too lenient I would've at least grounded them but We are one is just a truly great scene they are similar but We Are One ends up being the whole point of the story the single most important scene in the film. Finally just the song one of my favorites and that definitely helps it gain the win for me.

The Stampede vs the ambush: Gotta give this to the Stampede that scene changed many a childhoods watching Simba got mauled is brutal as is Nuka's death but Mufasa's death trumps all one of the single most defining moments in Disney history. The music during the scene was incredible it was intense and dramatic it was shot to perfection I really can't name anything the scene did wrong in truth this win was obvious to me.
Hatari05

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): you can just call me Hatari for short
Pride Points: 26

Postby juhouh » September 30th, 2015, 1:26 pm

(Lauren's comparison since TPAM didn't compare that)
Circle of Life vs. He Lives In You - CoL has way better lyrics but He Lives In You stucks into your head better so I choose it

(Hatari's)
Can you feel the love tonight vs Love will find a way - CYFTLT definitely

Look at the stars vs We are One - Look at the stars. Although I dislike cub Simba but Mufasa is awesome

The Stampede vs the ambush - The ambush. I did just find it more enjoyable

------

Mufasa vs. Scar - Scar. Although I like that brutal look of Mufasa I find Scar way more cooler than him

Sarafina vs. Sarabi - Sarafina. Although she gets way less scenes I like how she was designed. If we go for looks she's the second most pleasing character for my eyes after Nala
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King