What sign is Pride Rock trying to give us?

What sign is Pride Rock trying to give us?

Postby Milla » July 15th, 2015, 5:55 pm

I have been always wondering what Pride Rock represents , I searched it up but I didn't find anything.
We all know that it's a "Pride Rock" because It's kinda looking up, but I'm pretty sure there is something in it. Take a look at pride rock:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/lio ... 0729150328

Is it trying to be a shape of something? They even show it in TLK2
Does it represent the shape of a Lion? I'm still confused, they never explained it.
What is your though about it?
Attachments
Pride Rock secret screenshot1.png
~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~ ~HAKUNA MATATA~
Milla
Simba-saurus

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Muna
Pride Points: 16

Re: What sign is Pride Rock trying to give us?

Postby Elton John » July 15th, 2015, 6:07 pm

I don't think of it as a sign, but as sort of a castle but since lions can't create things like humans/humanoids they couldn't make it constructed but nature made, and thus it's a rock formation that serves the purpose of a castle.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Iberian » July 15th, 2015, 10:29 pm

.-------------------------------
Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Pride Points: 14

Postby PrincessKiara » July 20th, 2015, 9:16 pm

I have never viewed Pride Rock as anything else than the lions home. Like it was mentioned above, it`s like the royal familys castle.. it would be pretty dull if the lions in this movie just lived in any old regular cave. ;)
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Regulus » July 21st, 2015, 7:18 pm

This probably isn't what you're thinking of, but here's something cool.

Even though Pride Rock has a very organic and natural look, it's pretty far from that. It isn't just some random pattern of rocks, like what you'd see in clouds. It's symbolic, in a way. Like a few other things in nature, Pride Rock exhibits some mathematical patterns--the same patterns that objectively determine beauty.

You may have heard of the golden ratio before. If not, I'll explain. Have you ever looked at a shape and thought, "that's too long, it doesn't look right," or "that's too short, it doesn't look right?" Okay, yes, it's a little weird. But it's actually a thing. Imagine a rectangle with sides A and B. The most aesthetically pleasing rectangle has sides with a ratio where (A + B)/A = A/B. Through a bit of algebraic manipulation, this means A is 1.61803398875... times longer than B. This number is called Phi, the golden ratio. Shapes that exhibit these dimensions exist all throughout nature, like in sea shells:

And the human body:

And if you notice, this is roughly the same shape as some man-made things, like buildings, sports cars, laptop computers, and widescreen televisions. Once you recognize that shape, you start to see it everywhere.

Guess what, though? It's also roughly the same shape as what you see in Pride Rock. The image below is 485 pixels by 300 pixels, which is a pretty close approximation to the same golden ratio.

Also, notice the four lines I drew over the image. The lines divide the image into nine equal-sized rectangles of the same proportion. What's interesting here is that the endpoints of Pride Rock meet the outer rectangle at the lines of the thirds. This is what gives it its aesthetically pleasing shape. It just looks "right."

Now, here's where the facts diverge, and I toss my own reasoning in. I believe the reason why it has such an aesthetically pleasing shape like this is because it's supposed to represent home. It's supposed to feel beautiful, strong, magnificent, warm, regal, and welcoming. It's because of subtle design choices like this on Disney's part that make this movie what it is.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Return to Beyond The Lion King