Who here is actually looking forward to the lion guard?

Who here is actually looking forward to the lion guard?

Postby Elton John » November 1st, 2014, 5:49 pm

*raises hand*

I've seen so much negativity towards the show when we barely know anything about it. it just breaks my heart.

I love kion! he's just so cute!

That they are actually continuing the canon story of the lion king! almost two decades after simbas pride has me so happy! I had given up on disney doing something like this.

I don't expect it to be as good as the original movie but seeing old favorites return on screen, and maybe making new favorites, has me giddy.

I say, bring on the kion!
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Who here is actually looking forward to the lion guard?

Postby DGFone » November 2nd, 2014, 12:02 am

I am VERY hesitant to get excited for it. Modern Disney just hadn't shown itself to me to be capable of producing the quality they had before. Sure, I'll watch it, but I will wait for it to actually come out before making a call on it.

It's targeted at very young kids, after all.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » November 2nd, 2014, 12:14 am

[quote="DGFone"]I am VERY hesitant to get excited for it. Modern Disney just hadn't shown itself to me to be capable of producing the quality they had before. Sure, I'll watch it, but I will wait for it to actually come out before making a call on it.

It's targeted at very young kids, after all.[/quote]

gravity falls is good, not to mention their animated movie output has drastically improved since the days of chicken little and home on the range. Not the highpoint of the disney renaissance.....but that's an almost impossibly high bar to reach.

also their superhero shows have improved since jeph loeb left and was replaced by stephen wacker.

also, sometimes people in the lion king fandom forget that the original movie was G rated. Below PG and PG13, also in interviews it has been said that the show will be targeted towards kids and their families.

and their families, meaning that the show will attempt to have a wider audience than stuff like dora the explorer.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » November 2nd, 2014, 5:57 am

Well, strictly speaking, a rating in a movie doesn't have much to do with what the target audience is - a few cuss words here and there and you got yourself an R rating, even if everything else is still catered to very young children.

The Lion King was made to be children's movie, granted, but what the creators very quickly realized was that since the essence of the story was about the father-son relationship, they also knew that in order to really make the movie they wanted, they would also need to make a movie aimed at the parents. And not with a "here we have some adult humor" kind of aimed at adults, but as in while the children will see themselves as Simba or Nala, the parents will see themselves as Mufasa or Sarabi, and will be effected by the plot based on that. This is why the "G" movie works so well for adults - they are just as much the target audience as the usual young Disney fare.

What I am afraid is that The Lion Guard will not have such an understanding of the audience as the movie does, and will therefore not appeal to the older demographic as well. Again, I can't make a judgment until it comes out though.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » November 2nd, 2014, 6:58 am

A few curse words? Technically, a PG13 movie is only allowed to have one F bomb before they need to raise it to an R rating. At least this is the way it was, dunno if they have changed this.

And I understand your logic even if I disagree with it's correlation to how TLG will turn out.

I'm really hoping that it turns out well....i've been a kion defender since he was revealed mid-june. I just really feel that disney should release more media on the show....I think that once they do, and if it turns out to be good, Kion will not be hated nearly as much.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby TheLionPrince » November 2nd, 2014, 8:46 pm

I'm trying to reserve judgment on The Lion Guard until more information about the show and its characters are confirmed via press release. However, with the announcement that it is targeted toward preschoolers, it's a little underwhelming since The Lion King are meant to family movies that can appeal to those young and young at heart. Hopefully, it can take a page out of Sesame Street, a preschool show that's entertaining and educational, and can maintain adult appeal. Other than that, there's "more to see than can ever be seen".
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » November 2nd, 2014, 9:06 pm

[quote="TheLionPrince"]I'm trying to reserve judgment on The Lion Guard until more information about the show and its characters are confirmed via press release. However, with the announcement that it is targeted toward preschoolers, it's a little underwhelming since The Lion King are meant to family movies that can appeal to those young and young at heart. Hopefully, it can take a page out of Sesame Street, a preschool show that's entertaining and educational, and can maintain adult appeal. Other than that, there's "more to see than can ever be seen".[/quote]

Like I said, the show is being made for the families too.

also, the movie is going to be played on disney XD so it's not going to be completely skewed towards the pre-k audience.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby TheLionPrince » November 3rd, 2014, 2:51 am

[quote="hey101hey"]Like I said, the show is being made for the families too.

also, the movie is going to be played on disney XD so it's not going to be completely skewed towards the pre-k audience.[/quote]

That's not what the news source are reporting:

[quote="E!"]The show will be aimed at pre-schoolers and follow Kion as he forms a team of animals—the Lion Guard—to help protect the land. The Lion Guard is set to debut in November 2015 on Disney Channel and on the Disney Junior channel.[/quote]

[quote="The Wall Street Journal"]In a bid to draw pre-schoolers with one of its parent company’s best known properties, Disney Junior is developing a new animated series based on the 1994 animated blockbuster “The Lion King.”

“The Lion Guard” is scheduled to debut in November of 2015 on the Disney Junior programming block of the Disney Channel, as well as the 24-hour Disney Junior channel.[/quote]

It is being aimed at the preschool crowd, and the pilot film and television series will air on the Disney Junior block of Disney Channel and the separate Disney Junior channel.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » November 3rd, 2014, 3:02 am

i could have sworn i saw disney xd somewhere....

even so, i've seen far too many people say that disney is ruining their childhoods by making this....I mean, really? will this show suddenly evaporate the lion king vhs dvd's and blu rays across the world if it doesn't turn out well?

disney is showing interest in the lion king for the first time since 1.5/3 which happened a whole decade ago, not only that they are continuing the story and not making it a spinoff like 1.5 or the timon and pumbaa show...and as a huge fan I couldn't be happier.

with disney going live action/cg with a lot of their old properties and then making tlg fully animated.....i dunno but it makes me think that they care more about this than a lot of their older properties that walt worked on.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » November 5th, 2014, 3:22 am

I am very excited about The Lion Guard, but I am tempering my expectations. Like DGFone and TheLionPrince have stated I am well aware that it is targeted at a Preschool audience. I am cautiously optimistic that it will at least be an enjoyable and entertaining show. Although I am well aware that The Lion Guard will not reach the majesty of The Lion King. As for Kion I absolutely love him. I hope (However slim) that Kion will really catch on as a character and Disney will want to expand on him beyond The Lion Guard. I would love to see an older Kion as a character (Not necessarily as the star) in a new Lion King Theatrical movie. I am also thrilled that the series is being done in 2D.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King