Confused Matthew's TLK Re-review

Confused Matthew's TLK Re-review

Postby TheLionPrince » October 9th, 2014, 5:11 pm

http://confusedmatthew.com/the-lion-king-re-review.html

He's back! Please comment if you please (or object).
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Re: Confused Matthew's TLK Re-review

Postby SimbasGuard » October 10th, 2014, 5:47 am

Wow if I try to rebut everything that this guy said, I'll be typing all night. so I'll just try to put it in a nutshell.
First he complains about the first act being unnecessary. It's called building a story.
He complains that Simba is a (I'll paraphrase here) brat, but fails to realize that Simba at that point Simba Simply didn't understand what needed to happen for him to become king. Nor did he have any comprehension of The responsibilities that go with the job.
He complained how Simba endangered Nala, but failed to mention that he also protected her. from the trouble that he got them into.
He complained that Mufasa didn't see Scar as a threat, even though Scar said he would never dream of challenging Mufasa. From Mufasa's point of view that would make Scar a jerk, not a threat.
He felt that Simba should have returned to Pride Rock sooner. If Simba would have come back as anything other than a Young Adult, he would not have been able to defeat Scar.
He complained that Mufasa's Ghost said nothing Important. He sounds like he didn't listen to the rest of what Mufasa's Ghost had to say.
He complained that The Hyena Army was pointless, Any Lion could have wandered into the Pride Lands and challenged Scar.
He complained that Scar's lies being exposed invalidated Simba's life experiences, due to a lie or not What Simba went through emotionally was real indeed.
He complained about several things not connecting, that very clearly connected if he had been paying better attention.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby TheWhistlerify » October 11th, 2014, 9:38 am

Ugh... This guy... <_>
Sometimes I simply sit down and write because I cannot help it. Who knows, perhaps one day something will come out of it. Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
My 'The Lion King' fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10370841/1/
My 'Pokémon' fanfic: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9017329/1/
TheWhistlerify
Bananas

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Good source of potassium

Nickname(s): TW
Pride Points: 22

Postby yagodamalina » October 13th, 2014, 11:41 pm

The first thing that caught my attention was his claim that the first act has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, and meant nothing for Simba’s character development. This is just not true, because the idea that you should take responsibility is clear throughout the whole movie: when Simba is a cub, he doesn’t realize that being king comes with huge responsibility, he just wants to have fun and get his way, but still be seen as great; when he loses his father, he refuses to take responsibility for everything that’s happened, and refuses to take responsibility for his kingdom. That’s what “remember who you are” means. Simba should remember that he’s Mufasa’s heir, and the responsibility that comes with it.

Another comment that I found somewhat “off” was about Scar. Namely, what’ s Scar fighting for in the end, when he’s seemingly lost everything? Well, it might not actually be true in the character’s perception. He doesn’t know the hyenas overheard him; he might think that by defeating Simba, he’d be able to suppress a revolt with their help (that’s also what he needed all those other hyenas for – in the deleted scene, he calls them his “executive staff”). And, even though TLK 2 was made after a few years, it also adds some motivation for Scar to fight: he also had followers among the lionesses. And he had an heir.

Concerning “Be Prepared”, it is a necessary song, because Scar was doing a different thing before: he was trying to get rid of Simba in hopes he’ll outlive Mufasa and become the king after his brother’s death, because without Simba, he’ll be next in line again. But when Mufasa showed up and saved Simba, Scar realized he can’t effectively get his nephew out of his way while Mufasa can protect him. So Scar decided to get rid of both Simba and Mufasa instead, and finally become the king after “decades of denial”.

…And, even though the review is about the first movie, Confused Matthew didn’t object about cub Kovu’s behavior in the second, as far as I recall. But didn’t cub Kovu do a somewhat similar thing to what cub Simba did in the first movie? Kovu wandered off to the border with the Pridelands (entering which is punishable for the Outsiders), while Nuka should’ve been watching him, therefore putting his brother in trouble with their abusive mother. But both Kovu and Simba later take responsibility for what they did.
yagodamalina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby FlipMode » October 14th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Couldn't make it past that song at the start. Also he already said he think a lot of his old points still stand before the review even started which says "biased" to me.
Second verse, same as the first, guy is welcome to his opinion but his opinion is WRONG!
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby PrincessKiara » October 28th, 2014, 9:47 pm

OK, so I actually listened for a few minutes before getting fed up and had to turn it off. I think I watched/listened to the whole review back when he posted the first one, though.
So the only part I watched was about him saying how Scar was obvious about his intentions, feelings and motifs and how stupid the characters around him were for not picking up on it.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Return to Beyond The Lion King