Can a character really be classified as "loveable"?

Can a character really be classified as "loveable"?

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 11th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I know a while back I got some backlash for claiming the three hyenas were loveable. So that brought me to ask the question---can a character actually be classified as loveable? After all, someone is bound to disagree.

For example, the Disney wiki describes Pumbaa as being loveable, but not everyone is going to see that as true.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Can a character really be classified as "loveable"?

Postby ScarLoyal » April 12th, 2014, 4:10 am

Of course! I classify Zira as loveable! :D
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby Zonofon » April 12th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I agree with this. I believe that the appearance is also very important. Because appearance is what we see first. And after some time when we know the character, it can still be interesting. If we like the character, so his look is important to us.

I can honestly say that I like appearance of my favorite character Timon. I liked it before I saw TLK 1 1/2 . But after this movie I saw his inner deep world. And Timon became more lovable and cute.
But I like his appearance, like the fact that in his appearance are lot of interesting details: his hanging ears , brown fingers and the tip of the tail. I can long continue this list, but all of this together creates attractive image for me. But I'm sure that appearance of Timon would be less interesting to me, if there was no relationship with Ma and his sincerity.
Zonofon

Pride Points: 2

Postby juhouh » April 13th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Many characters might be, even the villains. But it depends on a personal opinion
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Carl » April 13th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Of course they can be. There are two ways a character can be lovable though, they can be lovable on an individual level, where one person finds them to be simply charming and lovable, or, in the sense used in reference to Pumbaa, widely loved. It doesn't mean everyone finds him lovable, it just means that so many people love him, using a word other than lovable would be silly.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Return to Beyond The Lion King