Timing?

Timing?

Postby DGFone » March 5th, 2014, 3:16 am

I just saw this fairly funny video about the very popular Frozen song:
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... -let-it-go

So this got me thinking:

Is it a good thing that The Lion King was released before the mass adoption of the internet? After all, even here on MLK, after Frozen came out, it was like MLP all over again: a lot of people who were not fans of it for whatever reason (including simply not seeing it) began to rather despise it simply for a simple factor of over-exposure. I can somewhat agree with that sentiment myself, in that while I don't hate it, I wouldn't mind it if people got over it. After all, this is a Lion King fan forum. If you want to fawn over Frozen, go to the fan forums for that movie.

So what would have happen if The Lion King was released now instead of back in the early 1990's, when hardly anyone had internet? As the Critic mentioned, "Let it Go" is a lot like "Hakuna Matata" only a bagillion times worse. Is it because Hakuna Matata that much better of as song (which I wouldn't mind if it was true, but I somehow doubt), or is it simply that now with YouTube and the internet, the over-exposure factor with Frozen is that much worse?

Would we have seen similar negative reactions to The Lion King if it was released now, and would it have caused a similar case of listener fatigue, or even a worse one?

So in a way, are we somewhat lucky that The Lion King was not released after the internet was mass adopted?
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Timing?

Postby Eli_Ayase » March 5th, 2014, 4:02 am

I don't really see personally how Hakuna Matata sounds like Let It Go, maybe close with it, since both songs speak about not caring about anything and being free from everyone and everything. Both songs annoy the hell out of me either way xD (Though Jimmy Cliff's and Lebo M's Hakuna Matata song is pretty cool from Rhythm of the Pridelands album <3)

If we do switch release year/date of TLK and Frozen, and take TLK in already-made 3D and Frozen (OR SNOW QUEEN SINCE IT WAS THE ORIGINAL TITLE FOR IT HUEHUE ), Personally... since my human show/movie likes more pulls towards live action or anime... and I love animals in any way of animation... I think I'd be happy with TLK either way, whether released today, or back in the 90's. But if the plot for it was completely changed like they changed Snow Queen original story (I mean like WAY CHANGED)... I think it would be the same negative reaction as Frozen gets now. And I think Snow Queen would be LOT more interesting to watch (>implying they would keep the title Snow Queen if Frozen was released in 90's)...

RAAAAANT: show
I say people just wanna be a part of a bandwagon and go like "OMGOMG ASDFGHJKL DIS BE SO AWSUM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ELSA IS PRETTY!! SUCH SAD MOVIE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHASOBSOB, MUCH MUSIC OH AMAZING, WUT HANS U BASTRAD" <-- Literally, it is how the fangirls work today. I don't hate Frozen, I'm just downright annoyed by seeing it being mentioned everywhere, hell I can't surf any more peacefully on Tumblr without having that thrown in my face. Especially here in a TLK forum...

And I very much agree on your last line of the first paragraph that is rightfully has earned a spot in my signature.

So... end point... Yeah we're very lucky that TLK was released in 90's xD and I think if Frozen was a 90's release... it wouldn't get much hate either.
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]
I come and go, don't question me.
Also I'm an weeaboo/otaku, fite me m8 1v1 irl.

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Geralt of Rivia

Location: Iorveth's Forest (United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire area)
Nickname(s): Eli, Ann, Nat, Elichika, Eri, Ayase, Elise
Pride Points: 138

Re: Timing?

Postby Carl » March 5th, 2014, 4:28 am

Honestly, I don't care how popular something is. I expect to see graphics of the trends here and it's not like anyone who doesn't want to hear the songs has to go to YouTube and listen to them. I didn't want to watch it at first because of how popular it was and then I read about a bigot criticizing the movie for silly reasons that made me decide to watch. It's not the best movie, but I like it even though it is everywhere. And I'd like TLK if it was everywhere too.

However, as I've seen a person constantly talking about how bad TLK is on deviantArt, I'm sure that it would be in a similar position had there been such access to the internet back in the 1990s. The negativity for its alleged overratedness already exists here. Most of the things you will find online about TLK are positive, but there is some of the same kind of "it's everywhere why do people like it" talk as with any fad that comes up even though this one is kind of exclusive to TLK and Disney-related areas of the web.

In summation, it's already the same, just not on the same scale. If you've been overexposed to Frozen, I'd advise not listening to the music or watching videos pertaining to it and trying to ignore the people who are talking about it or have graphics relating to it. That's what I do with MLP. I see the graphics and drawings everywhere, and people mention it quite frequently, but I'm not all that bothered by it because I don't subject myself to the show itself.

That said, the video you linked was amusing, but this movie isn't going to stop being popular anytime soon. Not with all the negativity it's getting for its alleged "gay agenda" and the message of tolerance and acceptance that makes people believe it to be about that. As someone who is part of this supposed "gay agenda" I can tell you a lot of the things certainly are relatable; "conceal, don't feel." To a lot of people like me that is why the movie appeals, because of the message of acceptance and love. And to a lot of people who hate us, that makes it worth ranting in blogs about. Both of those things draw more attention to the movie than it would otherwise get and that explains part of it.

Well, that's what all the hype I've seen outside MLK has been about.

TLK probably would have had a similar situation, however, as most of the big movies and shows do. Remember when Rise of the Guardians came out a while back, and everyone had Jack Frost avatars and Bunnymund stuff? And remember how people still have TLK and MLP graphics and discussions to this day? Yeah, TLK would be one of those things if it had come out now. Especially since it explores some pretty deep and relatable themes itself. Those of you bothered by all the fads' overexposure would not be TLK fans if it had come out now.

But me personally, I don't tend to let others' opinions affect what I like or don't like in any way. I like many animated movies and shows as well as live action movies and television series, some of which are insanely popular, others that are practically unknown. My biggest problem is when these trends have people making graphics from low quality pictures and plastering them everywhere, that disgusts me no matter what the subject matter is. I mean surely there is a higher quality version of that image on the web somewhere, come on.

About it being a TLK forum... isn't the Den for off-topic? And are signatures/avatars restricted to TLK or nonfads? I agree talking about it would be better on a forum dedicated to it, but there is nothing forbidding them from doing so here and it's not really harmful for them to do so. If people start posting about it in the Kingdom or something then by all means complain about them. But if they keep it to the Den and off-topic lit/RP sections, how is it different from anything else off-topic?
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Return to Beyond The Lion King