Does your friends or family know...?

Does your friends or family know...?

Postby juhouh » November 9th, 2013, 12:30 pm

...that you actually like TLK a lot and you're a fan of it? Or are you hiding it just for good? I was talking about this earlier with an another member of MLK but I decided to ask this for all of you. How do you think your friends for example would react to it?

And btw. I know there's a topic like this but the last answers were given at 2010 so let's get a fresh new start
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Re: Does your friends or family know...?

Postby OuRaion » November 9th, 2013, 1:12 pm

I was originally hiding it for a year or two, but then I told my family. Well, thwy asked and I answered. They honestly didn't care that much, replying with "it's a movie, nothing wrong with liking a movie". You could say I was relieved to know that it wasn't a big deal.

I have all my TLK stuff on display around my room. Everyone that goes in there doesn't really care. I think everyone I know knows about me and TLK, and none of them (yet) have reacted in a negative way. Some people have remarked about it, but only with things like "wow" and "woah, that signed book is awesome".

Before anyone outside of MLK knew, however, I was worried that everyone would... Heh, I forgot. I thought they'd laugh? I don't know. So yes, everyone knows that I'm a fan of TLK and I like it a lot.

But really, that's all they know. There are q lot of other things they dont know I watch. If they bring it up I'll answer, but until then, do they really have to know?
Last edited by OuRaion on November 9th, 2013, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby juhouh » November 9th, 2013, 1:38 pm

^ I would never tell to my family since I do live with them but they did already happened to see I have TLK stuff. They didn't care about it but I had maybe the most awkward moment in my life at that time. Who knows if they're thinking something like "did he ever grow up?" (btw. I'm 19 so...)

My friends don't know and shouldn't but if they mentions the word "The Lion King" it makes my ears go up. I knew a couple open bronies during school but people did understand them since it used to be so popular. The most of people thinks that TLK is just a movie for little children for some reason
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SophieCub » November 9th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Yeah, my family know that I love TLK and that I always have. I don't hide it. However, they don't know I'm a part of this forum. Who doesn't love TLK though? xD
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby KingKivuli » November 9th, 2013, 1:54 pm

my family know and friends do find out, its not something i advertise openly all the time. The way I see it if people give me a look or comment just because I like a movie and its my fav one, then they can go away. I won't be made fun of for liking something. I would sooner ignore that person
Yang - RWBY

Thanks Shadowfax!

My Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfr5wz ... 4qA/videos
KingKivuli
Master of Shadows

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My darkness is light

Nickname(s): KK, Kiv
Pride Points: 68

Postby FlipMode » November 9th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I''m 22 years old. That means I'm at the point of my life where NOBODY cares what your favorite film is any more. In school you would get jokes about it because it's how the popular kid stays popular... It's your choice to rise above it and continue to be happy with who you are anyway.
In the real world though, that doesn't happen. Why? Because everyone is so busy living their own life and figuring out who they are to really care enough about your interests to say anything.

I got a few jokes in school for liking Kingdom Hearts yeah (my "friends" at the time) but then in the real world I can walk around with a Keyblade necklace proudly on display and how many people care? None. Everyone is so concerned with their own lifestyle and their own choices to care about anyone who has differing tastes to them.

Therefore it stands to reason that the only way to make friends, is to be as completely honest about yourself and your interests as you can. I don't mean go and proclaim your love for TLK from the top of the Willis Tower, I mean to be comfortable with being able to say "The Lion King" when asked what your favorite movie is.

And this applies to pretty much everything in life as well. In school how many people would have called me a freak if they found out I liked tarantulas and had one? A lot (I didn't know that about myself at the time but it still WOULD have gone down like that) and how many people have said anything to it about me as an adult? Zero. They just say "Ewww, not for me" and then it's back to worrying about their own life again.
BUT I have met people who share that same interest or (like Shadowfax) accept and appreciate that about me and it's those kinds of people who will be your true friends in life. So the more real and transparent you can be about what you are into, the more real friends you make, the happier you will be in the long run. Don't force it on other people, just be transparent about it.
:)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 9th, 2013, 6:27 pm

I'm pretty sure all my family knows, and they don't care xD

Liking The Lion King is what defined me in the first year of Secondary School (or Comprehensive/High School if you will). That's why people knew me. Sure, I was teased by some stupid people a couple of times who had never thought to ask why I liked it, but oh well lol. Most of my friends have seen it and like it too, not to the RP/fanfiction/join a forum point, but yeah ^^
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby juhouh » November 9th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the answers! It's funny how TLK actually chooses only some of us more into it
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Postby Shadowfax » November 9th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I've always loved the Lion King since I was a kid so my whole family knows I still like it. It's not my 'all time favourite movie' but it's my favourite Disney movie. I think pretty much all my friends know it is aswell as my close family so i've never really kept it a secret as such because I don't wanna lie about my fandoms to people x) Pretty much everyone who knows me, knows I am a bit crazy anyway ^_____^
Shadowfax
Never give up;

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby Regulus » November 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm

[quote="Flip_FTW"]I''m 22 years old. That means I'm at the point of my life where NOBODY cares what your favorite film is any more. In school you would get jokes about it because it's how the popular kid stays popular... It's your choice to rise above it and continue to be happy with who you are anyway.
In the real world though, that doesn't happen. Why? Because everyone is so busy living their own life and figuring out who they are to really care enough about your interests to say anything.

I got a few jokes in school for liking Kingdom Hearts yeah (my "friends" at the time) but then in the real world I can walk around with a Keyblade necklace proudly on display and how many people care? None. Everyone is so concerned with their own lifestyle and their own choices to care about anyone who has differing tastes to them.

Therefore it stands to reason that the only way to make friends, is to be as completely honest about yourself and your interests as you can. I don't mean go and proclaim your love for TLK from the top of the Willis Tower, I mean to be comfortable with being able to say "The Lion King" when asked what your favorite movie is.

And this applies to pretty much everything in life as well. In school how many people would have called me a freak if they found out I liked tarantulas and had one? A lot (I didn't know that about myself at the time but it still WOULD have gone down like that) and how many people have said anything to it about me as an adult? Zero. They just say "Ewww, not for me" and then it's back to worrying about their own life again.
BUT I have met people who share that same interest or (like Shadowfax) accept and appreciate that about me and it's those kinds of people who will be your true friends in life. So the more real and transparent you can be about what you are into, the more real friends you make, the happier you will be in the long run. Don't force it on other people, just be transparent about it.
:)[/quote]

This, I agree with.

But, it's a bit different when your own parents have specifically teased other people not for liking Disney movies, but for watching Disney movies. I'm the only person in my family who can sit down and watch things that are for kids (as long as they're well-written).

I mean, I'll put it this way: my mom had to watch TLK once for one of her classes, and she told me it was stupid and she hated it. Now, she's either in denial, like I was, or she has completely different tastes than I do. Considering that when I was a kid, she never watched any kids movies with us, I'm going to assume that the latter is true.

Quite honestly, I know my parents don't really care. If I told them how much I like TLK, they'd think I'm crazy, but that's about it. It's not like I'm ashamed of it at all, or anything. I just see no reason to bring the topic up, because I don't want to start that "it's not for kids" argument. I simply don't find it necessary to tell everyone about everything that I like.

My parents don't know that I watch MLP, Breaking Bad, South Park, or Star Trek, for that matter. It's not like this is exclusive to TLK. I'm almost twenty years old. If I want to watch something, I can just do it. I don't need to tell my parents everything that I do; they're pretty apathetic in that respect.

With my friends, I'm much more open about it. I have no problem telling people that TLK is my favorite movie, and most people outside of my family will agree that it's an awesome movie--especially for my generation, because we grew up with it.

As a side note, part of the reason why I joined this forum (initially) was so that I'd have a place to talk about TLK as much as I want. And, likewise, I wouldn't like TLK as much, to this day, if not for this forum to keep me thinking about it. So, there's also that to consider. :P
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Next

Return to Beyond The Lion King