Does anyone but me feel sorry that Timon and Pumbaa...

Does anyone but me feel sorry that Timon and Pumbaa...

Postby Animal of the Wild » May 2nd, 2014, 9:18 pm

...had to be, well, parents?

The unfortunate part is they didn't really have the choice. There wasn't really anything else they could do. Saving Simba's life was the good part, but raising him, even though Mufasa and Sarabi had already raised him...?

Well, it's just that's not who they come across as being. They are hardly Mufasa and Sarabi. They are guys who enjoy the freedom of life without kids to look after, like the three hyenas. But whereas Shenzi, Banzai and Ed never had to be confronted with such a situation, Timon and Pumbaa did. And I'm sorry, but it's just not their thing. If it had just been Timon, Simba might not be alive. If it was just Pumbaa...well, I'm sure he would get sick of it. Sure, he likes things that are "cute and all alone", but does he realizes what he's being forced to sign up for?

That's part of the reason I don't like this movie. It softened the already babyish duo by making them into Mufasa-Sarabi replacements (which, let's face it---they couldn't possibly be, never wanted to be, and really shouldn't have had to be.)
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Does anyone but me feel sorry that Timon and Pumbaa...

Postby ScarLoyal » May 2nd, 2014, 11:41 pm

Hm.. I don't really think that it was 'terrible' for them to raise Simba. I mean.. they actually saw him as their 'son'. They also never regretted such a thing.
To be honest, i think the hyenas would of just 'ate' Simba. :P
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby EdtheHyena » December 21st, 2014, 10:19 am

[quote="ScarLoyal"]Hm.. I don't really think that it was 'terrible' for them to raise Simba. I mean.. they actually saw him as their 'son'. They also never regretted such a thing.
To be honest, i think the hyenas would of just 'ate' Simba. :P[/quote]

1. Well, they probably wouldn't have at first, since they were sort of forced by the circumstances into thinking of him that way.

2. Well the hyenas are at least better at thinking up ways to get someone off their backs...I'm sorry, I know they're supposed to be evil, but I just like it that they're not as soft.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby ILoveShenziMarie » June 27th, 2015, 11:54 pm

[quote="ScarLoyal"]Hm.. I don't really think that it was 'terrible' for them to raise Simba. I mean.. they actually saw him as their 'son'. They also never regretted such a thing. [/quote]

But that's what I think OP was pointing out made no sense. It completely goes against their beliefs and personalities, and while they wouldn't do something they'd regret, they also wouldn't do something out of character.

[quote]

To be honest, i think the hyenas would of just 'ate' Simba. :P[/quote]

Again, I think that what OP was trying to say Timon and Pumbaa are more like them and would logically have found a simple answer to their problem.
ILoveShenziMarie

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby ILoveShenziMarie » July 10th, 2015, 4:17 am

[quote="ScarLoyal"]Hm.. I don't really think that it was 'terrible' for them to raise Simba. I mean.. they actually saw him as their 'son'. They also never regretted such a thing. [/quote]

Well, not at first, actually. And they didn't regret it because they didn't have a choice in the matter.

As for the "terrible" part, like I said, it's going against what they believe is all. :-o

[quote]To be honest, i think the hyenas would of just 'ate' Simba. :P[/quote]

Well, sure. But they're still awesome, though! :D
ILoveShenziMarie

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby KiovuLove » July 10th, 2015, 4:53 am

It is kind of against their nature. But have we forgotten that their motives were kind of selfish? They wanted to raise him to be "on their side", their bodyguard.
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby Elton John » July 10th, 2015, 4:55 am

[quote="KiovuLove"]It is kind of against their nature. But have we forgotten that their motives were kind of selfish? They wanted to raise him to be "on their side", their bodyguard.[/quote]

I didn't see the 'on their side' remark as a bodyguard thing, but that he would be their friend and not eat them.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby KiovuLove » July 10th, 2015, 5:04 am

Well then nala came and timon said "see I told you he would come in handy". Just saying. I think that's what they meant. Maybe not completely but at least partially
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby SimbasGuard » October 31st, 2015, 8:03 am

Timon and Pumbaa genuinely came to care for Simba. However Timon and Pumbaa did want Simba around as a protector. If you will remember after Pumbaa said:

" Maybe he'll be on our side."

Timon (Eventually) says:

"Having a lion around might not be such a bad idea."

Timon and Pumbaa did not take Simba in out of the kindness of there hearts. They definitely had an ulterior motive.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » December 27th, 2015, 12:27 am

The first movie made it look like Timon, Pumbaa and Simba were just friends, despite the age difference.
Probably referenced from Kimba who, for example, has a lot of animal friends, some of which are much older then him, but who still hold him in high regard and don't treat him too much like a child, despite looking out for him and teaching him about life from time to time.
Besides, I believe that, in the period when TLK was made, Disney tried their best to make it look like adults can easily become friends with children, rather then giving the realistic picture: Oliver from Oliver & Company sorta made friends with a much older crew, Patch befriended Thunderbolt, Scamp was treated as an equal by Buster, Melody befriended the the penguin and... whatever, who also appear to be adults... And Simba never really referred to the duo as his parents in the original, instead calling them his friends when he introduced them to Nala. He doesn't seem to show them much direct respect, either, like he probably would for Mufasa and Sarabi... or any parental figure, but still looks out for them like a friend would.

That would even make Timon and Pumbaa's motives more reasonable and less... creepy.
It's not so much of a:
-Hey, lets take in this lion cub and raise him to be our body guard.
as it was:
-Hey, lets make friends with this lion cub. He could help us when we get in trouble once he grows up.
Speaking of which, this is more like Timon's motive, rather then Pumbaa's. If you pay attention to the dialogue, after Timon said Simba could eat them, Pumbaa said that he could be on their side - as in, probably not eating them. Then it clicked to Timon that they could have a lion on their side, who could also protect them. And we all know Timon, despite really having the heart of gold, is a bit on the selfish side. That's my interpretation.

In TLK 1 1/2, the producers probably thought it would be kinda cute to show the pair raising Simba, and that it would make Timon even more likable when we see him actually look out for Simba like a father would. So why not? Here's the first time we see him call Timon 'pops'...

As for the original post, no matter how one looks at their relationship with the cub, I disagree. If they have left Simba behind, he would have died from dehydration. Simply because they wanted to live care-free lives, that doesn't make them cruel, so as protagonists they made a better choice and later got an awesome, powerful lion king looking out for them. Besides, it's not like Simba didn't grow into their care-free life himself. I don't believe we should feel sorry for people who make brave choices - that only means they are great and will be rewarded later on.
Alright, I'm not sure if Timon would have been brave enough to pick the lion cub if he was alone, but if he did, he would have looked out for him as he obviously does care for him. As for Pumbaa - if he's not sick of Timon, he wouldn't have grown sick of Simba either. Pumbaa is one of the most tolerant, kind, and patient characters on the show, and I don't think I ever saw him even doing something selfish or cruel to others. How long does it take him to forgive the lioness who tried to eat him, again? The care-free life was mostly TImon's idea, anyway... Pumbaa just choose to rolle with it.
Amadi_the_Guard

Pride Points: 8

Next

Return to The Lion King 1½