Feeling sick... how about you?

Re: Feeling sick... how about you?

Postby yagodamalina » November 1st, 2014, 1:56 am

To be honest, I prefer Simba’s Pride to the original movie. The two movies are quite different in atmosphere – TLK 1 gives a feeling of something epic, whereas TLK 2 seems less mystical, less… mythical, if it’s possible to say that. TLK 2 deals with the consequences of the original movie’s “happy end”, which I personally find great and realistic in a sense. I like this movie’s more prosaic approach.

While I love TLK 1, I find the plot of the second movie to be more engaging and dynamic, and character development to be more interesting (that includes Simba), as it managed to tell the stories of many characters and had more moral ambiguity. I don’t think the movie is all that predictable – would you expect them to kill off a character who belongs to the younger generation and was supposed to be perceived as comic relief? Or that the movie will recognize that the villain has a point, and the hero of the previous movie was partially wrong? I think TLK 2 becomes better if you think deep into it – there are many layers and things to discuss.

Another thing I love about TLK 2 is that it’s actually darker than the original movie. It very accurately depicts child abuse in regards to its consequences, shows that even well-meaning parents can do harm, and there is a tragic, painful, onscreen character death that (arguably) has some unfortunate implications. Nevertheless, the antagonists are treated with compassion by the hero (Kiara) and the narrative.

When it comes to animation, I actually like TLK 2’s muted colors. However, there is a thing I would criticize that movie for: inconsistent character designs (notably: Vitani; Zira’s ear notch changing places; Kovu’s scar disappearing; Nuka’s “age regression” on some shots).

Long story short, I find Simba’s Pride to be the best of the three movies. I know that’s kind of an unpopular opinion in the fandom, but I think it’s just a matter of personal preference.
yagodamalina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Elton John » November 1st, 2014, 4:46 am

I remember hating the movie when I first watched it in 1998

bought the dvd and went back to rewatch it a month ago.....and i kind of liked it. animation isn't as good as the original, but i'd take the animation in simbas pride over the animation in most modern cartoons.

I also was surprised at how much I liked adult kovu, very charismatic. It also had a cute love story, and I liked a few of the songs.

I don't think nuka fits in the lion king universe, something about him was offputting. vitani felt underutilized.

I do like zira, and just how vicious she was.

nala had an even smaller role than in the first and no sarabi or sarafina....sarabi is understandably missing since her actress died in 1995 and they probably wanted to retire the character. zazu was a total downgrade though going from rowen atkinson to anyone else would be a downgrade.

I even liked kiara. she was just too cute!

overall id probably give the movie a 6/10, above average.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Carl » November 1st, 2014, 5:08 am

[quote="yagodamalina"]would you expect them to kill off a character who belongs to the younger generation and was supposed to be perceived as comic relief? Or that the movie will recognize that the villain has a point, and the hero of the previous movie was partially wrong? [/quote]
Anyone who knows that it's based on Romeo and Juliet and has watched or read the play would indeed expect those things.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Elton John » November 1st, 2014, 5:27 am

[quote="Julie Skywalker"][quote="yagodamalina"]would you expect them to kill off a character who belongs to the younger generation and was supposed to be perceived as comic relief? Or that the movie will recognize that the villain has a point, and the hero of the previous movie was partially wrong? [/quote]
Anyone who knows that it's based on Romeo and Juliet and has watched or read the play would indeed expect those things.[/quote]

Yeah, this franchise has a lot of ties to Shakespeare. TLK 1 was in some ways a hamlet adaptation. kind of.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby yagodamalina » November 1st, 2014, 5:54 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"][quote="yagodamalina"]would you expect them to kill off a character who belongs to the younger generation and was supposed to be perceived as comic relief? Or that the movie will recognize that the villain has a point, and the hero of the previous movie was partially wrong? [/quote]
Anyone who knows that it's based on Romeo and Juliet and has watched or read the play would indeed expect those things.[/quote]
Actually, if the movies were based on the plays more closely, we should've expected them to kill off almost every major character. But we're dealing with kids movies here, considering that some scenes were deleted, very possibly because they made the movie less kid-friendly.
yagodamalina

Pride Points: 1

Previous

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride