Feeling sick... how about you?

Feeling sick... how about you?

Postby Ravvij » June 30th, 2014, 5:50 pm

I just watched this movie and I can tell you I was cringing through the whole thing. It's a cute movie... but it's so much of a rip off of the original and the screne writing and voice acting killed it for me.
They basically turned Nala into Sarabi, Kiara into an over glorified "princess" type character I've seen in so many movies, and destroyed Zazu as a character. It didn't help that they gave more scene time to Rafiki, which seemed to have taken away from the mystique of the original.
Now, I've been keeping an open mind through the whole thing thinking, "Maybe it'll get better. Maybe this will all be worth it if they don't do too many typical things." I was wrong. Any 14 year old could have written this movie.

Now all that bashing aside. It's to too terrible. But ti's still very typical and predictable. I'll definitely watch it again when I need my Lion King fix... AFTER I watch the first one, of course.

LOL Let the flame wars begin! :P
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Fear fear.

Nickname(s): Rav, Ravvij
Pride Points: 2

Re: Feeling sick... how about you?

Postby Timon8 » June 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I love the movie, but I agree that in the first part of the movie, they litterly just ripped of the first one. Circle of Life became He Lives in You, and My Lullaby is just Be Prepared.
''When the world turns it back on you, you turn your back on the world!''
Timon8
I see carnivores...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hakuna Matata!

Pride Points: 5

Postby Regulus » June 30th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Naw, I get ya. SP isn't anywhere near as good as the original. It's as predictable as a cat chasing a laser pointer.

TLK is very predictable, too... but it's much deeper emotionally. SP always felt shallow to me.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Ravvij » June 30th, 2014, 6:40 pm

[quote="Regulus"]Naw, I get ya. SP isn't anywhere near as good as the original. It's as predictable as a cat chasing a laser pointer.

TLK is very predictable, too... but it's much deeper emotionally. SP always felt shallow to me.[/quote]
Yes! You hit it right on the nose!
A cat and laser pointer... I love it! I have a cat, who by coincidence looks like a lion, and is a dot junkie. If I get out a laser pointer or any small light, he won't let me put it down for days.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Fear fear.

Postby Haraka » June 30th, 2014, 7:11 pm

I do agree that SP is lackluster compared to the original. But i do enjoy it anyway. One thing that set it apart for me is that no "good guy" dies

In the first one , when scar throw mufasa to his doom and blame it on the already destroyed simba , you get emotionally involved in the movie. The bad guy is winning after destroying what was set for the spectator.

In simba's pride , no "good guy" dies , the only death (beside the main villain) is nuka's which isn't quite emotional (IMO). Even then the outsiders (which i think would've won the battle) do not manage to do anything meaningful that make the spectator emotional and involved in the movie
Haraka

Pride Points: 10

Postby Ravvij » June 30th, 2014, 7:29 pm

[quote="Haraka"]I do agree that SP is lackluster compared to the original. But i do enjoy it anyway. One thing that set it apart for me is that no "good guy" dies

In the first one , when scar throw mufasa to his doom and blame it on the already destroyed simba , you get emotionally involved in the movie. The bad guy is winning after destroying what was set for the spectator.

In simba's pride , no "good guy" dies , the only death (beside the main villain) is nuka's which isn't quite emotional (IMO). Even then the outsiders (which i think would've won the battle) do not manage to do anything meaningful that make the spectator emotional and involved in the movie[/quote]
Yes. Very true. The final fight scene was one sided and to be quite honest, a winning army doesn't care if an argument is sound. When they're winning they go all the way. It's just kind of pathetic that all it took was one little conversation, no matter how right or just. And, Nuka's sister being as viscous as she was, wouldn't have sided with Kovu THAT easily. If anything, she would have been the last to turn good next to her mother, who never did.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Fear fear.

Postby electricocomics » July 1st, 2014, 2:37 am

The movie as a whole is no match for TLK but I liked the art/colouration a little better. It may be just me but then again I'm me. Can't change that...
Electricocomics

electricocomics
ELC Prop Making

'sup

Nickname(s): electricocomics
Pride Points: 1

Postby Ravvij » July 1st, 2014, 3:58 am

very true.
It really had potential, but I think they just didn't try hard enough.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Fear fear.

Postby SlayerOfLight » July 1st, 2014, 12:32 pm

To me SP is OK but not obviously as great as the first movie. But there are worser sequels out there, so SP really can't be that bad compared to some other movie sequels.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Ravvij » July 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]To me SP is OK but not obviously as great as the first movie. But there are worser sequels out there, so SP really can't be that bad compared to some other movie sequels.[/quote]
Yeah. Like the second Goofy Movie. It was cute, but not half as interesting as the first.
Also, I think it's starting to be a redundant opinion that "It's not as good as the first one." no matter how true it is. If you look at it not as a sequel but as a movie on it's own... it seems to me that my opinion get's a little worse.
Ravvij
Fear is your Enemy

Fear fear.

Next

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride