Does anybody but me feel...

Re: Does anybody but me feel...

Postby FlipMode » February 27th, 2014, 3:07 pm

[quote="EdtheHyena"]
I dunno. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I feel that SP is the worst movie of the franchise solely for the reason that they got rid of the one thing I respected it for.[/quote]

Soooo... Because something did not have your favorite characters, it automatically makes all the redeeming factors redundant?
That's like saying "Hey I really like you, you are an amazing girl but you like oranges and I like apples, it will never work between us."

And also if the only thing that makes SP bad is that they got rid of the hyenas, I suppose by that logic TLK would also have been bad without them? Never mind the epic music score or the significance of the film to Disney in general?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby juhouh » February 27th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Although it's a bit different compared to the first movie you can't say it's not canon because it did lack the hyenas. Think what you think, TLK 2 had awesome music in it. He Lives in You and reprise version of We Are One are surprisingly good. It's just better to try something else and move on, and not to remake TLK with different characters. The Circle of Life does actually continue as its case text says. It wasn't done by "let's see if this would give us at least some money" attitude

I like the hyenas too, they're nicely drawn
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Eli_Ayase » February 27th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I kinda never did like the hyenas much, so that doesn't bother me tbh. I actually prefer SP 100x more than TLK: 1 1/2 XD

I don't really see a point much to have hyenas; it's based on Lions more, hence the name "The Lion King" - it's a possibility that the hyenas most likely perished in the fire during the fight in TLK. If you do look closely, the lionesses fought and threw majority of hyenas off from Pride Rock itself, and we can't really expect hyenas to survive a long-butt fall. (Even though we saw a few only, it's a high possibility they did the same to the others)

In the end where the remaining hyenas gather around Scar, after killing him, they probably ran off on their own to somewhere else of Africa. My thought always has been on that the hyenas just were sort of stupid to follow Scar. During Be Prepared, he promised for them to never go hungry again, they probably didn't for a while, but later on when the Pride Lands was turned into a Shadow Land, the promise did break off. And Banzai had said; "I thought things were bad under Mufasa" which means he didn't enjoy Scars reign obviously and preffered Mufasa's reign the most (at least when in the pride lands they could sneak food away, while under Scars reign there was no more food left).

Seems like a valid point for them to not be anymore in SP, because they, like anybody else, doesn't want to be controlled by anyone and rather live on their own. (TLK 1 1/2 does not apply on this all because it is the almost same timeline of TLK itself)
Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition’s blurred. If I am to choose between one evil and another, I rather not choose at all. – Geralt of Rivia
[Facebook] | [DeviantART] | [FictionPress.com] | [FanFiction.net] | [My Tumblr.]
I come and go, don't question me.
Also I'm an weeaboo/otaku, fite me m8 1v1 irl.

If you find anything offensive of what I say. Then it's not my fault that you took it serious.
Eli_Ayase
Gwynbleidd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Geralt of Rivia

Location: Iorveth's Forest (United Kingdom, Cambridgeshire area)
Nickname(s): Eli, Ann, Nat, Elichika, Eri, Ayase, Elise
Pride Points: 138

Postby ScarLoyal » April 10th, 2014, 11:15 am

I personally believe that Zira chased them away for killing Scar. :P
Because I think she blamed Simba for arriving in the first place. I mean, think about it.. Once Simba showed up in Scar's Kingdom, all hell broke loose. An unknown lion (Possibly) attempting to usurp Scar's kingdom and threatened Zira's family. If Simba hadn't arrived, The Pridelanders wouldn't have started an uprising. The hyena's wouldn't of been betrayed by Scar if he didn't have to get forced into a corner, begging for his life. And Scar wouldn't have been kicked off Pride-rock and the hyenas wouldn't of mutinied against Scar and Scar would of lived. IMHO she hates Simba for even showing up at her home. It' just that the Exile of her and Scar's followers made her blindly accuse him of murdering him. But she wasn't thinking anymore when Scar was gone. She (once again IMHO) chased them out of the Pride-lands. To let them and Simba know that they (Outsiders) would never let them get away with it.
Last edited by ScarLoyal on April 11th, 2014, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby TheLionPrince » April 10th, 2014, 4:36 pm

[quote="ScarLoyal"]I personally believe that Zira chased them away for killing Scar. :P[/quote]

Then, why would she accuse Simba off killing Scar?
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby EdtheHyena » May 3rd, 2014, 7:38 am

[quote]Soooo... Because something did not have your favorite characters, it automatically makes all the redeeming factors redundant?[/quote]

Absolutely.

The hyenas were the only thing I truly, seriously loved about the first movie---and the series in general. There may have been a few things the second movie kept, but they weren't enough to save 2 from going under.

For me, without the hyenas, you're basically shooting the series dead. Have them, or don't bother to make a movie at all. It's just an enormous waste of money.

I can only hope Disney has since seen the error of their ways. Unfortunately, they haven't really given what I'd consider a good apology for it. They did include the hyenas in 1 1/2, but it was only for two brief scenes---not exactly what I'd call making up.

Fast-forward to a decade later, and still nothing. I can only speculate that Disney must not like those characters, seeing how little appreciation they've been given.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby ScarLoyal » May 3rd, 2014, 9:51 am

Well either way, there won't be another Lion King movie showing Taka and Mufasa as cubs or the hyena's. With Disney hand-drawn animation gone. There basically won't be another 'TLK' movie like the first but maybe after seeing Frozen, there still is potential for a non hand-drawn TLK sequel? But I don't really think the hyenas have been 'poorly' used or should resemble some sort of 'come back' of Disney or an apology. It's the same I think with Zira or Scar. I love them to death but Zira and Scar are gone. The hyenas aren't that important compared to Simba, Kiara or even Kovu. Plus, it's kinda silly thinking that just because they don't have the hyenas in it, it's main purpose doesn't matter? Just my opinion. :) I just don't believe that the hyenas are that important than the main characters.
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby EdtheHyena » May 5th, 2014, 3:50 am

[quote="ScarLoyal"]The hyenas aren't that important compared to Simba, Kiara or even Kovu. Plus, it's kinda silly thinking that just because they don't have the hyenas in it, it's main purpose doesn't matter? Just my opinion. :) I just don't believe that the hyenas are that important than the main characters.[/quote]

Their importance to the stories so far does not matter, in my opinion. To me, they are more important than anyone else in LK, and deserve an epic 3-hour, theatrical film, with a sequel and a spinoff TV series.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby MooLion » May 5th, 2014, 4:27 pm

It's not a case of Disney disliking the hyenas. It's just there's no real need to bring them back to another film, let alone thinking about yet more spin off series and all that. Not going to happen!
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby DGFone » May 6th, 2014, 8:21 am

From what I remember about pre-production of SP, they initially did plan on bringing back the hyenas, but chose not to because they felt that SP was becoming too much a recreation of the first movie than a true sequel.

And frankly, I can agree with that decision. After all, the hyenas were Scar's pals. And when Scar turned on them at the end of the first movie, it concluded their story arc. They longer had any reason to remain in the Pride Lands, and the last thing they will want to do is side with someone who hates them (Simba), or even worse, someone fanatical to the one who betrayed them (Zira). That's why you got the bit spoken by Nuka about them leaving the elephant graveyard: they had no reason to stay, so they left.

Remember that the movies are called The Lion King. Even in the first movie, the hyenas were secondary villains at best. So to say that SP is pointless because it doesn't include the hyenas, while not entirely without merit, is something much less than even a single percent of fans of the first movie think.

Many fans enjoy the hyenas as well. I know I do. But we know that their place was with the first film, and SP is about the lion civil war. It had no room for hyenas, and I don't think that it was made pointless by excluding them.

The producers tried initially to keep the hyenas, but discovered that doing so made the movie even worse. I have to say they were right on that call.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King II: Simba's Pride