After rewatching the movie today I have quite a few thoughts

After rewatching the movie today I have quite a few thoughts

Postby Elton John » November 24th, 2014, 2:04 am

I watched it on blu ray.

The animation

The animation quality and choreography is absurdly good. Everything is very fluid, detailed, and expressive. There's also a lot of weight to the characters movement, meaning everything feels semi realistic...as realistic as an animated movie with singing lions can get. There are points in the movie where it looks like genuine camerawork was done. The designs are strong, and very aesthetically pleasing. There's also a lot of other tiny details that make the movie very visually pleasing.

The music

Not a single song I didn't love, and unlike a lot of animated movies the score by hans zimmer really ads to a lot of scenes. The ending wouldn't be the same without the king of pride rock playing, nor would the stampede scene feel the same without the music. Etc

The story. The strongest of all the disney renaissance films. i wouldn't say it is flawless but the actors put on fantastic performances, the writing is sharp and the jokes are genuinely funny. There's also the little stuff like simba learning from nalas pinning on scar, to beat him in the battle for pride rock. There's the part in the elephant graveyard scene where simba is trying his best to protect nala. I do not believe for one minute that simba and nala fell in love five minutes after seeing each other as adults, they already cared for each other a lot as cubs! etc etc etc the story is timeless, it doesn't feel like a product of its time.

The only character i feel got sold short was sarafina. only one line in the entire movie!

If there's one thing i'd change, cub nala needed more screentime.

i have read about a song called the lion in the moon, a real shame it never made it into the movie.

I have seen over 500 movies, and this is in my top 3 easily just due to how excellently crafted it is.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: After rewatching the movie today I have quite a few thou

Postby Elton John » November 27th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I thought that I would analyze why I like the musical numbers, sometime next week I will analyze the score.

-The circle of life

The creators of the movie wanted people right off the bat to know that "they aren't in kansas anymore". The vocals by lebo m and others are catchy, and not offputting to those who don't understand a lick of Zulu {or were the vocals in swahili? sometimes I forget}

The English vocals by Carmen Twillie are catchy as well, and very meaningful

The scenes where all the animals are going to see young simba are not only incredibly well animated, but exciting to see. It's a very majestic part of the number. You know something big is happening, you just don't know what yet.

Then when zazu is swooping down, is a moment in animation where I think to myself...............how did they do that, and make it look convincing? Seriously, the animation in this movie is brilliant.

All in all, a fantastic way to open the movie

-Just can't wait to be king.

It's essentially a verbal sparring between simba, zazu, and sometimes nala. The animation is whimsical, and childlike, because at this point simba still has a very childlike view on what it is to be a king.

the vocals by Jason Weaver are very well done. Rowen Atkinson, as always, puts on a brilliant performance. Laura Williams as Nala does a wonderful job as well. It's catchy, fun, and is always a joy to listen to.

Be prepared

The extra effects in this scene, and the choreography is fantastic. Ive seen people criticise Jeremy Irons singing as being too rough but that's what makes it so great, Jeremy Irons powerful voice.

Begins on a high note, and ends on one too, and has no lows.

Hakuna Matata. I might get some flack for this but it's my least favorite song. It's still good, very good, but the other songs weren't merely good, they were great. The log scene, where simba is shown growing from a young cub to an adult is a masterstroke in terms of storytelling. Easily understandable, never feeling forced, and just plain cool to watch. A very good song.

Can you feel the love tonight.

Oh boy. Ive seen people say that this is a low point in terms of the movies music. What? Just because the Elton john version is better doesn't make it less than great

It's tender, romantic, and full of emotion and heart. and the bit where simba and nala are thinking to each other is another great moment in storytelling without being too blatant about it.

The scenes within are par for the course, fantastically animated and a joy to watch.

i'd give the musical numbers a 9.5/10
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby it means no worries » November 30th, 2014, 6:27 pm

when you say that you noticed how great the animation was, was that just because you've recently re-watched it or does the blu-ray actually make a difference?
it means no worries

Pride Points: 63

Postby Elton John » November 30th, 2014, 7:45 pm

[quote="it means no worries"]when you say that you noticed how great the animation was, was that just because you've recently re-watched it or does the blu-ray actually make a difference?[/quote]

The picture quality is very good. The Lion King got the disney diamond edition treatment, meaning it got a level of restoration much higher than their normal blu rays.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » December 1st, 2014, 6:27 am

One thing you didn't mention is what a good job Jim Cummings did taking over for Jeremy Irons in Be Prepared. Jim comes in right after the line:
"Be prepared for the cue of the century."
It's something you won't notice unless you listen for it.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Elton John » December 1st, 2014, 9:17 am

[quote="SimbasGuard"]One thing you didn't mention is what a good job Jim Cummings did taking over for Jeremy Irons in Be Prepared. Jim comes in right after the line:
"Be prepared for the cue of the century."
It's something you won't notice unless you listen for it.[/quote]

Duly noted.

I am currently writing the analysis of the score, it's pretty large and fairly time consuming. Next week, when I have the time I will analyze the performances of the actors and actresses.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » December 9th, 2014, 7:16 am

I look forward to hearing what you think on those subjects.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » December 24th, 2014, 8:12 am

Sorry about my lack of a score analyzing, i've been going and doing things and want to make sure it is done right.

One thing I really didn't notice until recently, it's only shown for one second or less

All that day cub simba and nala had tormented poor zazu. To be fair, he's kind of snooty. When the hyenas show up you see him briefly shield them with his wings. Not only that, throughout the movie zazu is shown to be loyal and caring towards the royal family in spite of his snobby nature. Not once is he ever shown to be a coward, or a traitor. There's a genuine look of fear on his face when he sees cub simba on that tree in the gorge.

Simba, when faced with three hungry adult predators who are bigger and physically stronger than him, does he do the cowardly thing and abandon nala? NO. he stands in front of her, ready to fight to the end to protect her.

'I thought you were very brave"

This is why I believe that the romance wasn't rushed near the end. because they already cared for one another.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » December 24th, 2014, 9:35 am

That is a very good argument in in favor of the Simba And Nala's Romance was not rushed opinion. I'm in that camp myself. I did take notice of how Zazu tried to protect Simba and Nala from The Hyenas, but his concern for Simba during the stampede never his home for me until you pointed it out.

SimbasGuard

Postby Elton John » December 24th, 2014, 10:07 am

Yeah.

Also, you'll notice that in the blu ray release of the movie, it is hard to spot in the DVD and VHS release, but it's there. When Simba is waking up his dad, there's a little lion sleeping amongst the lionesses.

obviously we can conclude that this little cub was nala.

Sarafina isn't given a name until the end credits

Also, in an interview with hans zimmer, he mentions that his dad died at a young age and that the lion king was his way of dealing with that tragic aspect of his life.

in the audio commentary for the movie....i'm going to keep this as PG13 as I can but the filmmakers mentioned that during CYFTLT simba and nala had....well, you know.....Yeah.
Elton John
I’m with you

Next

Return to The Lion King