After rewatching the movie today I have quite a few thoughts

Re: After rewatching the movie today I have quite a few thou

Postby SimbasGuard » December 24th, 2014, 11:11 am

[quote="hey101hey"]Yeah.

Also, you'll notice that in the blu ray release of the movie, it is hard to spot in the DVD and VHS release, but it's there. When Simba is waking up his dad, there's a little lion sleeping amongst the lionesses.

obviously we can conclude that this little cub was nala.[/quote]

I actually noticed that when I saw the movie in the theaters (On my second or third time).

[quote="hey101hey"]Sarafina isn't given a name until the end credits[/quote]

I overlooked that several times, this lead to me looking through every Lion King Story book I could find. trying to find out what Nala's Mother's name was :lol:

[quote="hey101hey"]in the audio commentary for the movie....i'm going to keep this as PG13 as I can but the filmmakers mentioned that during CYFTLT simba and nala had....well, you know.....Yeah.[/quote]

I listened to The DVD Commentary(For The Can You Feel The Love Tonight scene, just now) the filmmakers never directly stated anything Uh...Not G Rated...occurred during that scene, but the terminology they used makes you wonder...if they were trying to imply anything.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Elton John » December 24th, 2014, 11:43 am

Well, it has been 20 years since I saw it in theaters. Unfortunately I missed the two re-releases. I really hope that disney does another re-release.....

This part is very blatant, but there's a tie in between lion king and the movie hercules! In the disney adaptation of hercules the lion herc defeats is none other than scar!

Cam Clarke is famous in the gaming world for portraying Liquid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series, but he also did the singing voice for simba in SP and the voice of simba in kingdom hearts 2.

The Avengers is technically a disney film, as Disney purchased marvel a few years back. What most don't know is that in the digitally re-created NYC, right before captain america talks to the two cops you see a poster for the lion king broadway musical.

David Tennant is the best Dr Who because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjz-ynF2o34

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, made by developers Retro Studios located in austin texas has a level seemingly inspired by the lion king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Yu8yJyR70

There are a lot of controversies surrounding the movie, one of the strangest ones is how some people got angry seeing the zebra meat being eaten by the hyenas. But somehow there was no outrage of sarabi being slapped pretty hard at the end. Strange.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby SimbasGuard » December 25th, 2014, 12:10 am

[quote="hey101hey"]Well, it has been 20 years since I saw it in theaters. Unfortunately I missed the two re-releases. I really hope that disney does another re-release.....[/quote]

Well perhaps in 5 more years for Lion King's 25th anniversary :melikey:

[quote="hey101hey"] This part is very blatant, but there's a tie in between lion king and the movie hercules! In the disney adaptation of hercules the lion herc defeats is none other than scar![/quote]

I got a big kick out of that.

[quote="hey101hey"]Cam Clarke is famous in the gaming world for portraying Liquid Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series, but he also did the singing voice for simba in SP and the voice of simba in kingdom hearts 2.[/quote]

He is also Simba's T.V. voice, or perhaps it would be best to say that he is the guy Disney calls when they can't get Matthew Broderick.

[quote="hey101hey"]The Avengers is technically a disney film, as Disney purchased marvel a few years back. What most don't know is that in the digitally re-created NYC, right before captain america talks to the two cops you see a poster for the lion king broadway musical.[/quote]

I noticed that that the 2nt or 3rd time I saw the movie in theaters. I kind of thought that had been done deliberately, now I know it was done very deliberately. That is awesome.

[quote="hey101hey"]David Tennant is the best Dr Who because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjz-ynF2o34 [/quote]

Awesome Clip.

[quote="hey101hey"]Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, made by developers Retro Studios located in austin texas has a level seemingly inspired by the lion king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Yu8yJyR70 [/quote]

Yes I'd say the game designers that made that level definitely saw and liked The Lion King 8-)

[quote="hey101hey"]There are a lot of controversies surrounding the movie, one of the strangest ones is how some people got angry seeing the zebra meat being eaten by the hyenas. But somehow there was no outrage of sarabi being slapped pretty hard at the end. Strange.[/quote]

I never understood how anyone could be upset about the zebra (which in the DVD Commentary they sad was made to look like a ham and the hyenas were shown to be eating neck ties). Hyenas are carnivores and zebra are one of the animals that they prey upon. It's not like it showed the lionesses take the zebra down. I don't see the problem.

As for Sarabi being slapped perhaps no one is up in arms about that because Simba defeats Scar after that. I am sure he was still angry with what Scar did to his mother as well as everything else while they fought.

SimbasGuard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elton John » December 25th, 2014, 5:32 am

surrounding controversies around the current president of america he had THIS as a response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqEn8AXzJ4

he's the freaking president of america and he used this movie as a satirical jab at people who thought he wasn't born in america.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SimbasGuard » December 25th, 2014, 8:19 am

HA HA! Brilliantly played Mr. President. That was so cool I won't even get mad at you for calling it a "Children's cartoon."

SimbasGuard

Postby Elton John » January 1st, 2015, 8:56 am

Well, since I wasn't getting any sleep anyway I thought i'd do my analysis/review of the lion king score. This is based off the versions from the legacy collection and are in order.

This is just being done for fun, i'm not an expert on composition so go a little easy on me. I own a copy of the soundtrack so this isn't being done via youtube.

The score was done by world famous composer Hans Zimmer. I've seen a lot of his harshest critics tell me that he's middle of the road but at the same time say that his lion king score was good.
He is famous for the movie scores the thin red line, prince of egypt, the christopher nolan batman series, man of steel, interstellar, kung fu panda, among many others.

So yeah here we go.

"Didn't your mother tell you to never play with your food".

It starts off a bit haunting, goes into a more whimsical style of composition. Then the tempo is raised a little. Overall, I think this is an okay song that is among the weakest in the soundtrack.

"We are all connected"

This song can only be described with one word. Magical. It's really a gorgeous song that sets a majestic tone for the convo between simba and mufasa.

"hyenas in the pride land"

starts off okay. Nothing TOO memorable about it until you get to the part where simba runs to the sungazing lionesses. What plays then is nothing short of awe inspiring. Serene and lush this song then starts showing hints of can you feel the love tonight during zazus talk with simba and nala about being betrothed. Overall the good parts of it are gorgeous.

"Elephant graveyard"

Song starts off with a haunting tone. When the chase begins that's when things get really exciting. It ends on a lighter, more serious note. Good song not one of my favorites.

"Kings of the past"

This song starts off serious and then slowly gets more and more playful while still being serious. Then it ends on a note that is a thing of beauty that really shows how much simba and mufasa loved one another.

"Simba it's to die for"

Short song, nothing noteworthy about it.

'stampede'

Hoo boy. This is definitely one of the better songs. I can picture every single event even without watching the movie. It's one of the few near flawless songs for ANY movie I have seen.

Without this song playing I can't see the scene having nearly as big an impact.

"Mufasa dies"

Another song that starts off near flawless. It's beauty contrasts to the horrifying event that just occured in a way that doesn't contradict itself. One of the better songs I think.

"If you ever come back we'll kill ya"

starts off boring but when you get to the part when rafiki is in his tree, it gets emotional then slightly bombastic near the end.

"bowling for buzzards"

Not the best song of the bunch but a good one, albiet very brief.

"We gotta bone to pick with you"

Sets the tone well but is not enjoyable to listen to.

"Kings of the past"

Just plain magical. This song is definitely one of the better ones, including the musical numbers. I can't put into words just how awe inspiring this song is.

"Nala is it really you"

It's a good song, but not TOO memorable.

"Remember who you are"

an overall good song. It's definitely one of the stronger songs that isn't too memorable but it fits the scene like a glove.

"This is my home"

It's a very good song that while not in my top 5 is in my top 10.

"The rightful king"

This is THE song. The song that makes everything complete. While the circle of life and be prepared are more well known this is hands down THE best song in the movie. When "King of pride rock" starts playing it goes from being great to LEGENDARY. This is how you end a movie folks, not with a whimper, but a an epic masterpiece of a song.

Overall i'd give the score a 9/10. The lows aren't that bad but the highs are several miles up.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » January 1st, 2015, 9:31 am

Some people think Hans Zimmer is a middle of the road composer? Funny I didn't think middle of the road composers could win an Oscar.
I'm no expert on the subject either, but I really enjoyed your analysis.

SimbasGuard

Postby Elton John » January 1st, 2015, 9:37 am

Everyone has harsh critics, and tbh not all his soundtracks are great. For every Molossus from batman begins, or "what are you going to do when not saving the world" from man of steel or the docking scene from interstellar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYa5luHb2DA

OH MY this is a good song

He has a lot of forgettable stuff.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » January 1st, 2015, 9:54 am

Perhaps a better way for me to put it is, I doubt a middle of the road composer would have such an extensive resume. If he wasn't that good I doubt he would have been hired as many times as he has been. :)

SimbasGuard

Postby Elton John » January 1st, 2015, 10:02 am

[quote="SimbasGuard"]Perhaps a better way for me to put it is, I doubt a middle of the road composer would have such an extensive resume. If he wasn't that good I doubt he would have been hired as many times as he has been. :)[/quote]

Eh, I don't put too much meaning into major film critics anyway.............most of them are too high and mighty to watch animation and or view it like the artform it deserves to be treated as.
Elton John
I’m with you

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King