Why is LK relevant?

Why is LK relevant?

Postby EdtheHyena » October 12th, 2014, 4:15 am

Let's think about this for a minute---this movie came out over 20 years ago, was followed by a handful of lesser-loved tie-in material, including two DTV movies, and yet, it's 2014, and people are still talking about this like it's relevant to today. I've found it strange, but have come up with an explanation that I think might be the cause.

Back in 1994, the internet wasn't really around. So people couldn't discuss issues and details of the film as in depth as they can now. As a result, we're making up for lost time by discussing them here and now. Whereas something more recent, like, say, Harry Potter, died down pretty quickly once the movies ended,

Perhaps I'm overanalyzing it all, but I just thought it would be worthwhile to question how the franchise is still relevant, despite the fact that Disney ended it so many years ago.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Re: Why is LK relevant?

Postby SimbasGuard » October 12th, 2014, 6:23 am

Just because the movie is 20 years old does not diminish it's greatness. The themes of responsibility, family, conflict, and The circle of life are just as relevant today as they were 20 years ago. In that way The Lion King is timeless. Why should I enjoy something less today than I did 20 years ago? The Lion King will always hold a special place in my heart.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby MooLion » October 12th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Yeah, the themes are ever relevant. Also it's a film that hasn't dated (obviously we watch films that are dated and that's absolutely fine, but nevertheless) - when someone is seeing it afresh now it could almost have come out just a few years ago.

I should say by your last comment 'Disney ended it so many years ago' that this isn't really the case. The ongoing theatre production, the sequels, the coming cartoon... Disney never has truly ended it, not such a success... and this has helped its relevancy.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby TheLionPrince » October 14th, 2014, 4:07 am

With the relevant themes of death, guilt/betrayal, and personal responsibility being relatable having been discussed, another reason why The Lion King is relevant in today's era is because Disney has been a part of the entertainment culture since the 1920s dating back to the Alice comedies therefore most of everyone's childhood has been impacted by Disney films growing up. By the 1980s, as evident in Diane Sawyer's interview with then-Disney CEO Michael Eisner, there was a perception that the Walt Disney studios was a former shadow of itself given it's been two decades since Walt Disney passed away and not too many of their films since has been particularly memorable or innovative. By the late 1980s and early 1990s, Disney was producing animated films that could stand next to the early classics of Bambi, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, and etc. The Lion King is one of them, and often considered one of the pinnacles of Disney animation so normally that's how people want to remember Disney as: a studio company that produces classics loved and recognized all over the world.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby FlipMode » October 14th, 2014, 10:34 am

I wouldn't say its "relevant" its just that its one of the highest grossing films of all time. Lord of the Rings is still relevant for the same reason, anyone who saw when they were younger and loved it are now older but still like the film ( a film doesn't suddenly become bad just because you grew up). Thus, there are millions of fans out there.
Us in the TLK fandom are very much a tiny minority of the fans. If you start talking to people in the real world about TLK more you will be pleasantly surprised just how many people have music from the films or musical on their music players or just think its a great film. They just aren't posting intricate fan theories on the internet over it like us XD
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby PrincessKiara » October 27th, 2014, 6:49 pm

To put it this way.. little girls still dress up as Snow White.

I think LK is still relevant simply because it`s so great, and its themes trancend time. Most of the Disney films can stand the test of time, and TLK is one of the greatest, meaning 20 years is nothing in the big picture. Also I feel that TLK has simply become a part of popular culture.

Of course you make a good point about the internet too. When we got internet at our house in 2000, the first thing I did was to go crazy on Google, looking up images of TLK, fansites, anyhthing TLK related.. I`ll never stop obsessing, lol.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Elton John » October 30th, 2014, 2:22 am

The movie is timeless. It doesn't feel like a product of when it came out.

The 3D re-release a few years back was the highest grossing movie for a few weeks, it was so high in demand that theaters extended the run.

It's also considered by many to be the high point of the disney Renaissance, or heck the best disney has to offer outside of fantasia.

It is the highest grossing hand drawn animated movie, close to 800 million in the original theatrical run {which is pretty amazing when you think about it} and while it does have its fair share of detractors it has far more fans by a large margin.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Return to The Lion King