Does the movie defend divine right of kings?

Re: Does the movie defend divine right of kings?

Postby Biomac » August 23rd, 2014, 5:11 pm

Good then 8-) !

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Re: Does the movie defend divine right of kings?

Postby TheLionPrince » August 24th, 2014, 8:30 pm

[quote="Biomac"][quote="TheLionPrince"]
While the movie does not reference any particular god/God, we do have Mufasa's ghost reminding Simba that he has the right to rule merely because of his birthright, not because he is the most qualified candidate to rule an entire kingdom.[/quote]

Isn't it what royalty is about? Also why saying that Simba doesn't have the qualifications to rule a kingdom? I mean yes he ran away, but two things: first he was manipulated and threatened by Scar that he was responsible for his father's death, and second after he saw his father's ghost he did learn his lesson and was ready to assume his responsibilities.[/quote]

Yes, that's technically what how absolute monarchies operate; birthright (or being an adopted child) is one of the qualifications to rule a kingdom/empire. The whole point of the topic is to evaluate whether The Lion King supports monarchy. The divine right of kings was just one of the ways a European monarch justified their reign of power.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with a monarchy system as long as there is a good king or queen in control. Let's face it, when Simba takes the throne, he has just learned that he was not responsible for his father's death which plagued him with guilt for an untold number of years. He most likely would have carried himself with bitterness and hatred towards Scar that would have some affect on his leadership as king. Simba's Pride touches on the subject in his nightmare. It's only a miracle and a testament of Simba's good character that it didn't happen because the Pride Lands would be no better off with another bitter-filled king even if the grasslands savanna was revived.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Previous

Return to The Lion King