Would you say this movie is more of a comedy or a drama?

Re: Would you say this movie is more of a comedy or a drama?

Postby Ninaroja » July 5th, 2014, 12:58 am

Most Disney movies aren't advertised as straight up comedies: they are advertised as family movies which means you will generally find a mixture of comedy, drama, conflict etc.
In terms of the debate here though I'll say drama. While there is plenty of comedy throughout the entire film the dramatic moments and dark undertones definitely point more towards somethign less lighthearted.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Todd23 » July 6th, 2014, 4:20 pm

[quote="Arbystrider"]

I'm personally going to say 'comedy' - I think the humorous element of this movie kind of spoils its dramatic-ness, especially with the wise-cracking Timon makes before CYFTLT. Still though I was able to feel something special from that scene (maybe it was the love, but I've never felt love so I dunno), but I believe it would have been a much more serious-toned, strictly lovey-dovey love scene had it not have made me laugh my arse off for the first 30 or so seconds of the song. This is the main reason I like the Broadway musical version (and even the pre-production version) more than the film version.

I also think that the reason Mufasa's death made such an emotional impact on a lot of people is because for the 5 minutes before he died, all we saw was mostly tragic - the hyenas waiting around to chase the wildebeest, and then Simba's :O face when he saw the stampede, and then Scar telling Mufasa about said stampede, knowing that he's planning to kill them both. And then we saw Simba getting chased by the stampede and, of course, Mufasa trying to save him (and consequently sacrificing his life in the process). Really, the only thing I can remember seeing from that scene that I could consider 'comical' is how Zazu's like 'omg what can I do? Oh, right, I can fly and get help!' and then getting smacked by Scar.

This is the same for when Kovu got banished in TLK2, the couple of minutes before it happened, all we saw was serious stuff, and little to no comedy.

I'm not saying the movies weren't dramatic at all, I'm saying that the comedy overpowers the drama in some parts, and kind of ruins the serious tone that I would consider 'dramatic'.[/quote]

^I pretty much agree with all of this and it's why, despite the movie having a serious story, I can't help but think it's more of a comedy than a drama.
Todd23

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 2

Postby TomCat » July 6th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Last edited by TomCat on October 10th, 2016, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat
Lala kahle, my dear sister...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Postby S1mb4 D4 L10n » July 6th, 2014, 6:09 pm

[quote="TomCat"]There´s a term correct me if I´m wrong.... "tragicomedy" that (i think) perfectly fits this movie...[/quote]

^^ I second this. We must tell the dictionary to put this word in and with the Lion King as an example of it.
S1mb4 D4 L10n
A man of knowledge lives by

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

acting, not by thinking about acting.

Nickname(s): S4mb4, Jacket, Jnack, MLK Drama Detective :P
Pride Points: 58

Postby TomCat » July 6th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Last edited by TomCat on October 10th, 2016, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby S1mb4 D4 L10n » July 6th, 2014, 8:14 pm

:lol: That doesn't even sound like a word XD. English is such a derpy language
S1mb4 D4 L10n
A man of knowledge lives by

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

acting, not by thinking about acting.

Nickname(s): S4mb4, Jacket, Jnack, MLK Drama Detective :P
Pride Points: 58

Postby TomCat » July 6th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Last edited by TomCat on October 10th, 2016, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat

Postby it means no worries » August 12th, 2014, 2:09 am

I'd say in terms of how much time each takes up than it would be comedy but drama has the FAR bigger impact, the emotion is why it is one of my favourate films of all time!
it means no worries

Pride Points: 63

Postby Biomac » August 22nd, 2014, 6:04 am

Well TLK is on its own league so it's hard to tell. It takes a shakespearean story with all comedy, drama and deep lessons mixed up together and perfectly balanced. That's what makes it so unique after all.
Last edited by Biomac on August 23rd, 2014, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby SimbaTheShiningStar » August 23rd, 2014, 1:22 pm

I would definitely call it more of a drama. The epic scale of Simba's presentation to the kingdom, the father-son bond, Simba witnessing his father's death then being blamed for the murder, separation from his family and being consumed with guilt, his self-discovery and then finally finding the courage to step up in his father's place to save his home...for me that far outweighs the comedy side of the film
"The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it...or, learn from it."
SimbaTheShiningStar

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

'We Are One'

Nickname(s): Vicki
Pride Points: 3

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King