Does Simba have an eyesight problem?

Does Simba have an eyesight problem?

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 11th, 2014, 6:58 pm

http://lionking.wikia.com/wiki/I_Just_C ... King_(film)#cite_note-0

According to this wiki page, the DVD commentary reveals something a little disturbing.

Go to the trivia section, and you'll see an apparent explanation for the bright colors and trippy shapes in the song---apparently it's to "reflect the world through Simba's eyes".

Now, I know the cast and the story are fictional, but who would have thought Simba sees things so differently? I mean, does anything in this sequence look remotely like the movie during the non-musical scenes?

I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it. It's just startling, though.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Does Simba have an eyesight problem?

Postby Tsuki » April 11th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Apparently the whole film was going to be like that i.e. Bright African colours but in the end they decided against it. I've always seen it as a tribute to the first idea.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Ninaroja » April 11th, 2014, 10:51 pm

I think they meant "through Simba's eyes" as in he is a child and interprets life in a vivid and exciting way - not that it is literally what he sees. When you're a child literally everything is exciting because you're still so innocent and naive to the way things truly are i.e. monotonous and at times quite dark

This post got really sad very quickly :(
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 11th, 2014, 11:52 pm

OK, that's what I sort of thought. I can completely understand that. I mean, it's funny. A lot of things I remember from when I was little seem a lot more bland to me than they once were, but it's not them that's changed---it's me who has.
Animal of the Wild

Pride Points: -18

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » April 12th, 2014, 12:42 am

I agree that it's probably his active imagination.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby Arbystrider » April 12th, 2014, 1:53 am

[quote="Simba the Lion King"]Go to the trivia section, and you'll see an apparent explanation for the bright colors and trippy shapes in the song---apparently it's to "reflect the world through Simba's eyes".[/quote]

1. I'm so tempted to make a drug reference here.
2. Yeah, you just misunderstood the metaphor that the wiki page is using there.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby DGFone » April 12th, 2014, 9:30 am

It's not meant to be taken literately. The song is how Simba views the world, but not how his eyes work. It's that he sees being a king as a huge party where he can do whatever he wants, so naturally he can't wait to be king. The change in colors is just Disney's way of telling the audience that they know that the songs in the movies are not completely in canon and break apart from the main story somewhat, and Disney might as well have fun with the song and do something cool with it.

So no, Simba is not on permanent LSD.

Also remember that the same thing was done with Upendi in SP. That is not how Rafiki sees things.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby MooLion » April 12th, 2014, 12:25 pm

[quote="DGFone"]So no, Simba is not on permanent LSD.[/quote]

Ha!

I agree with the above comments, and as Tsuki said, that IJCWTBK sequence was mostly a little tribute to the colourful African style of painting.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Return to The Lion King