Simba or Nala

Simba
32%
Nala
68%

Total votes : 19

Who suffered worse?

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 2nd, 2014, 7:27 am

Inspired by an older thread, I thought I'd make a topic debating who suffered more---Simba or Nala.

Personally, I feel that while Simba's struggles were bigger and more pronounced (being his story), Nala's were, in the long run, worse. The difference, simply, is the life they had in the years that pass during "Hakuna Mutata". Simba managed to shrug off his worries for the time, whereas Nala's surrounded her. But again, Simba had what you'd really consider the bigger problem.

So really, it's up for debate. The original poll also included Mufasa, which seemed rather pointless, seeing as his life was only truly terrible during his last minutes. Scar was included, but that seemed even more pointless. And so was Sarabi (who actually received a majority of votes), but I've decided not to include her, and keep it to our main lion and lioness.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Re: Who suffered worse?

Postby Ninaroja » April 7th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I think they both suffered a ton, but ultimately I'm going to say Nala.

With Simba, he lost the rest of his childhood innocence, was deprived of his home and family and spent years living in guilt for something he hadn't even done. However, by falling into the philosophy of Hakuna Matata I think this certainly helped to numb it all a bit. How appealing it must have been to him, the whole thought of a life with no worries or responsibilities. In a way, I think Simba wanted to run from all responsibility since it was something his father had so often stressed the importance of ("There's more to being King than getting your way all the time."), and at that point he wanted to forget all about it. Speaking as someone who has struggled with anxiety in the past (which, to my belief, Simba suffered from, certainly in TLK2 if not in the first movie), the promise of a life free from fear and worry is such an attractive concept when you're in that kind of situation.

With Nala, however, there was no "no worries" lifestyle to fall back on. In my opinion, the brief snapshot of Scar's temper that we see near the end of the movie when he strikes Sarabi is just a snippet of what went on. I've read some fanfictions with interesting theories, some horribly brutal, about what life during Scar's reign was like. I've explored it in some of my own writing, albeit in a much more AU sense, but I think life under Scar must have been a living nightmare. I don't like to hypothesize about it, but I think there are some subtle hints. For example, at the end of the movie there seem to be very few lionesses left (though the number does seem to fluctuate between shots, but when Scar is confronting Simba there seems to be only four or five of them left). Did they die? Did they run away when it all became too much? Did Scar kill them? Did they starve? I don't know, but I doubt the pride was that small at the start of the movie.
She was so young too when it all started, so I'm sure she lost her innocence as well. The difference though is that Nala probably witnessed some terrible stuff during the times we didn't see while Simba was off "enjoying" himself), not to mention the gut-wrenching creepiness that was the "Be Prepared reprise" seen on the Blu-Ray re-release.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Perrys Girlfriend » April 25th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Nala had to see her true love leave her. That has to hurt. Of course, I do feel bad for Simba though.
I forever remember my grandfather, Scott, who died on August 10, 2015 at the age of 60. R.I.P
Perrys Girlfriend
Robert Muldoon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He saved lives by giving his

Nickname(s): Sam, Samie, Sammi Jo, JP candy warden :D
Pride Points: 19

Postby InsaneSeagull » April 25th, 2014, 9:11 pm

I'm gonna be a total rip off here, and say - Simba. It's not that I don't think Nala suffered, quite the contrary. She did, very much, but...

It was Simba who saw his father dying, and that's the kind of trauma that's left for the rest of the life. Plus, not only that he saw Mufasa die, but he was also directly informed that it was him who actually murdered him. And he was still a cub, a cub not capable of understanding such things on higher level. He accepted what Scar told him with no doubt. His later life did seem worriless (is it even a word?), but only he knows what he had been going through in his head all along. The fact that he was actually capable of leaving all that behind and living a "carefree" life only showed how strong and courageous he was, but he hadn't forgotten his past at all. He couldn't had. Not only had he gone through his trauma over and over again in his nightmares (most likely), but he was also always in fear that the lionesses of his pride might find out "the truth" about him being the one responsible for it. He knew the pride was now in Scar's claws, and Scar was aware of everything. The fact that he could tell that to the others (mainly Nala and Sarabi) simply horrified him. And all this can be a really huge burden to carry through your childhood and adolescent years. Even for adults, it can be really hard to take.

Nala, on the other hand, had no traumas of that sort. But there is something else that's pretty bad about her condition. It's the fact she actually had to watch everything happening, Pride Land getting destructed, pride starving and so on. Only her rebellious nature kept her spirit up through all this. Unfortunately, we can't know much about all this, since the movie hasn't given us much on Scar's reign, but we can all still guess it was really hard to bear. The other thing is that she also didn't know what happened to her childhood friend. She could guess and trust Scar's words, since she had no other option, but I believe that deep inside she still wondered. And the situation of not knowing anything is often way much worse than being given the bad news.

But none of this I consider half as bad as Simba's situation. I really want to hug and comfort them both, though. <3
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby SimbaRomKing » April 26th, 2014, 5:31 pm

To be honest, I think Nala suffered worse, because she stayed in the Pridelands while Scar was a awful king.
Simba just had a great cubhood, because he was with Timon and Pumbaa in the jungle...
REMEMBER ALL THE GOOD TIMES WITH THE ONE YOU LOVED AND THEN LOST.
SimbaRomKing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Scott
Pride Points: 0

Postby NeverLander22 » April 27th, 2014, 9:00 pm

I would so have to go with Simba. Nala of course, did suffer, but she only lost Simba for a few years, and then he came back. Mufasa couldn't ever come back, he was killed... And although Nala had to deal with Scar and him being real mean and all that and the Pride Lands falling apart, Simba was always trying to cope with what happened.

Also, I realize that Simba may have had a slightly easier cubhood in a physical sense, I definitely don't think he had an easier cubhood emotionally. They both suffered, but overall I think Simba had the worse of it.
NeverLander22
Live today as it's your last

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Happy to write!

Nickname(s): Ki, NeverLander
Pride Points: 0

Postby Queen_Nala » September 13th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Nala did as being under Scars terror without food, without friend, afraid of her life.
Queen_Nala
Young Queen

Come cuddle with me...

Nickname(s): Nala, Little one, Young one, Young Queen, Angel
Pride Points: 2

Postby Sigurd » December 10th, 2014, 8:11 am

Nala, because she had to live through Scar reign and nearly starve to death, probably watch some other lionesses do that. Not to mention live through late childhood and early aduldhood thinking that her childhood friend were dead. Simba could at least try to forget his problems with the Hakuna Matata lifestyle.
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby Elton John » December 10th, 2014, 8:48 am

In favor of Simba

-watched his dad die right before his very eyes
-was manipulated by scar into blaming himself for that very death
-was nearly killed by hyenas chasing after him
-nearly dies in the desert, eaten alive by buzzards or due to heatstroke
-lived for lord knows how many years with the guilt of his fathers death, not knowing scar did it.
-lived without his best "friend" {I believe that they did care for each other beyond friendship before meeting again as adults} and mom
-had to eat bugs for lord knows how many years

Nala

-believed her best "friend" {I call BS on them just liking each other as friends early on} to be dead
-lived under the reign of scar to see her way of life change forever for the worse
-nearly starved to death

Both had it bad, but my vote goes to simba
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Merion » December 20th, 2014, 11:57 pm

I'd vote Simba mostly because of the guilt issues he had to deal with... But honestly, I can't stop thinking of all the things Sarabi went through. Losing her loved ones, being dethroned by an abusive new ruler and watching her home turn into a wasteland, I think the Queen had it worse!
"Something had lightened his spirits. What could it be?
A smell? A sound?
Then he knew. Nearby, across the river, a lark had begun to twitter and climb."

- Richard Adams, Watership Down
Merion
the plushie maker

Pride Points: 1

Next

Return to The Lion King