Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm?

Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm?

Postby DGFone » February 4th, 2014, 8:36 am

We all know that when Simba came back and took his kingdom back from Scar, a thunderstorm broke out all over the Pride Lands. A lot of people pointed out that this finally broke the drought, and signified a coming of a new era with Simba as the new king. But here is the thing:

When Simba defeats Scar, Rafiki motions him to climb to the peak of Pride Rock and roar his announcement that he's the new king. But the thing is: He did it in the middle of a thunderstorm! And everyone who know the first thing about how not to get hit by lightning is simple: don't be the tallest thing around.

Simba was at that moment the tallest thing around.

So the question is simple: How did Simba not get hit?

Mufasa told Thor to hold on a bit? :P
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: Should Simba have roared in the middle of a thunderstorm

Postby juhouh » February 4th, 2014, 11:51 am

Uhm... well he wasn't that unlucky to get hit? Pride Rock's peak is still higher
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby MooLion » February 4th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Lightning doesn't always have to hit someone? :D

In more mystical terms, this was not his destiny~~~ woo000ooo
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby KiarasBiggestFan » February 4th, 2014, 8:09 pm

That would have been a sad ending. It's kind of dramatic that he roared on Pride rock during a storm and it looked like the storm wasdying down.
KiarasBiggestFan
I am the ninja

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are one

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 3

Postby Carl » February 6th, 2014, 5:56 pm

[quote="DGFone"]And everyone who know the first thing about how not to get hit by lightning is simple: don't be the tallest thing around.

Simba was at that moment the tallest thing around.[/quote]
Except that Simba wasn't the tallest thing around.

Simba was here:
priderock1.png

And the highest point was here:
priderock2.png
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2014, 6:54 pm

^ Animal bodies are much more electrically conductive than rocks, which are rather nice insulators. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 6th, 2014, 7:16 pm

It obviously wasn't very clever of Simba to do. But he's just an animal, he didn't knew better.
SlayerOfLight

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Carl » February 6th, 2014, 8:16 pm

[quote="DGFone"]^ Animal bodies are much more electrically conductive than rocks, which are rather nice insulators. :P[/quote]

Yes, but we can't say for a fact that Simba was the tallest thing; there could have been some birds or monkeys or something up there at the tippy-top. :P

Additionally, it could be that the lightning just didn't happen to strike close enough while he was up there. Or maybe the storm was moving away by that point. Really it's just for symbolic purposes, but those might explain beyond the symbolism as I assume is what you wanted.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby DGFone » February 6th, 2014, 11:56 pm

As a friend of mine pointed out: Sure, when Simba was roaring, he wasn't at the very top of Pride Rock. But when he was fighting Scar, the two of them were. Plus, the wood there was burned, so clearly lightning struck that place at least once before. How come no one got hit then?
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Postby Regulus » February 7th, 2014, 12:30 am

How do we know that no one got hit? Maybe lightning struck a hyena and killed half of Scar's battalion. :mhm:
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Next

Return to The Lion King