Strange scene in "Hakuna Mutata"

Strange scene in "Hakuna Mutata"

Postby EdtheHyena » November 30th, 2013, 2:16 am

After Pumba says "thanks" in "Hakuna Muatata", there's an odd scene where he appears in a completely different setting. The script doesn't seem to notice it:

{Back into song}

Timon:
Why, when he was a young warthog...

Pumbaa:
{Italian counter-tenor range} When I was a young wart hoooog!

Timon:
{Speaking, cleaning ear} Very nice.

Pumbaa:
Thanks!

Timon:
{Singing} He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
He could clear the savannah after every meal

Pumbaa:
I'm a sensitive soul, though I seem thick-skinned
And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
And oh, the shame

Timon:
He was ashamed!

Pumbaa:
Thoughta changin' my name
[Oh, what's in a name?]
And I got downhearted
[How did you feel?]
Ev'rytime that I...

Timon:
{Speaking} Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!

Pumbaa:
{Speaking} Oh... sorry.

{String pizzicato. Simba looks into the camera, surprised.}

Is this in every version, or are there two versions, one where Pumbaa doesn't appear in the different setting?

BTW, this whole part is weird in general.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Re: Strange scene in "Hakuna Mutata"

Postby SimbasMate » November 30th, 2013, 2:19 am

That's because Timon & Pumbaa were explaining why Pumbaa had no friends/why nobody wanted to be around him because of his nasty gas. It was a sort of a flash black sort of thing.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby EdtheHyena » November 30th, 2013, 8:44 am

Yeah...what exactly was wit that? Any respect I had for that character was gone with that moment.

And...couldn't they have explained it in a more...I dunno, RESPECTABLE manner?

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » November 30th, 2013, 9:21 am

The whole point is that Timon and Pumbaa are not the most "respectable" of animals. But if these two, with their problems, can find happiness with Hakuna Matata, then Simba can as well. That was the point of the song.

Plus it's crude for the comedy factor.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby SimbasMate » November 30th, 2013, 10:18 pm

[quote="EdtheHyena"]Yeah...what exactly was wit that? Any respect I had for that character was gone with that moment.

And...couldn't they have explained it in a more...I dunno, RESPECTABLE manner?[/quote]

Probably not. Timon and Pumbaa aren't exactly considered polite. Especially Timon. ;)
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby PrincessKiara » December 13th, 2013, 10:19 pm

It`s a flashback explaining why Pumbaa was outcast/shunned by other animals. I personally think it was handled discreetly enough without being downright crude.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby EdtheHyena » February 20th, 2014, 1:39 am

It was very weird. I don't know why they even made the character a gasshole to begin with. It's just downright creepy.

EdtheHyena

Postby KingCub » February 20th, 2014, 11:04 am

[quote="EdtheHyena"]It was very weird. I don't know why they even made the character a gasshole to begin with. It's just downright creepy.[/quote]
He is a odd/cast out character. So the directors needed a way to make him an outcast, while still keeping it light-hearted (just like the characters themselves). So they came up with him having bad gas. :)

Or at least thats what I think.
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby EdtheHyena » February 20th, 2014, 9:33 pm

There's a thousand other ways they could do that.

The hyenas are odd, outcast characters, yet they manage to be clean in that area.

No, there was no excuse for that.

EdtheHyena

Postby EdtheHyena » February 21st, 2014, 6:25 am

Also, it could have been established better. That flashback sort of introduced it out of no where.

Also, if he's a good character, he's supposed to be someone the audience likes, and making him that sick DRASTICALLY decreases any fondness the audience has for the character.

I sort of liked Pumba as a kid, although I mainly knew him (and Timon) from their show, which I saw only a handful times. Now, being schooled in it, I've seen that it's far from perfect, but finding out this about Pumba was just a kick in the ass.

EdtheHyena

Next

Return to The Lion King