Strange scene in "Hakuna Mutata"

Re: Strange scene in "Hakuna Mutata"

Postby KingCub » February 21st, 2014, 11:47 am

[quote="EdtheHyena"]The hyenas are odd, outcast characters, yet they manage to be clean in that area. [/quote]

For the Hyenas, I think it was there personality that set them apart. I mean, hyenas that side with who is normally there enemy (Scar), and they kidna are a little crazy! I also don't think that the hyenas where much of 'outcasts', or even have to be. As for Pumbaa, well thats kinda what his character was intended to be.

[quote="EdtheHyena"]Also, it could have been established better. That flashback sort of introduced it out of no where.

Also, if he's a good character, he's supposed to be someone the audience likes, and making him that sick DRASTICALLY decreases any fondness the audience has for the character.[/quote]
I have to disagree there. What better time to introduce a flashback when the line was literally "when he was a young warthog". It promps itself into setting the scene for telling the story. I think that Pumbaa in general is a character that you either like, or you don't. I don't think that the scene makes him a not-likable character. I think it makes you gain a little more emotional input, by giving him a story and a problem. But at the same time, keeping it lighthearted and funny for a younger audience. I mean, what 5-7 year old does not laugh at a farting joke?
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby EdtheHyena » February 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm

For the record, I didn't even know what a fart was until I was 8. And what MATURE person won't find flatulence disgusting? If they're targeting him to be likeable to only the younger audiences, it isn't much.

Also, in the scene in question, Pumba does not appear to be a young warthog. It could have taken place just the day before, for all we can assume.

I'm sorry, I just can't like Pumba because he's so...dirty, and not in the extremely cool way that Christina Aguilera is.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Postby KingCub » February 23rd, 2014, 3:35 am

[quote="EdtheHyena"]For the record, I didn't even know what a fart was until I was 8. And what MATURE person won't find flatulence disgusting? If they're targeting him to be likeable to only the younger audiences, it isn't much.

Also, in the scene in question, Pumba does not appear to be a young warthog. It could have taken place just the day before, for all we can assume.

I'm sorry, I just can't like Pumba because he's so...dirty, and not in the extremely cool way that Christina Aguilera is.[/quote]
I find myself a mature person, and I had a good laugh at it. I don't think they made him out to be down right disgusting, just dirty. And also, the movie never stated that he was farting or had bad gas. From a younger person (and me at that age) you could only tell that he stinks.

Ya, I would also have to agree with you there. I feel like the animators could have made him seem a little younger.
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby ScarLoyal » April 11th, 2014, 3:21 am

The scene was to explain why Pumba was an outcast in a very 'lighthearted' way. And Pumba is one of those 'lighthearted' characters who are goofy but innocent and act adorable at times. :lol: But you can't really say all mature people find flatulence disgusting. ;)
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby Regulus » April 11th, 2014, 4:54 am

[quote="ScarLoyal"]But you can't really say all mature people find flatulence disgusting. ;)[/quote]

This.

My grandpa is in his 70's and he still thinks farts are hilarious.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 29th, 2014, 5:44 am

There are adult shows that have that sort of gross stuff in them, too, like The Simpsons
Animal of the Wild

Pride Points: -18

Postby Perrys Girlfriend » May 13th, 2014, 4:19 pm

I have to agree with EdtheHyena. I don't hate Pumbaa, but I don't like him either. His gas is disgusting and I know at one point they were going to tell Timon's story instead of Pumbaa's. I wish they did.
I forever remember my grandfather, Scott, who died on August 10, 2015 at the age of 60. R.I.P
Perrys Girlfriend
Robert Muldoon

He saved lives by giving his

Nickname(s): Sam, Samie, Sammi Jo, JP candy warden :D
Pride Points: 19

Postby TheLionPrince » May 13th, 2014, 8:23 pm

[quote="Zazulover4915"]I have to agree with EdtheHyena. I don't hate Pumbaa, but I don't like him either. His gas is disgusting and I know at one point they were going to tell Timon's story instead of Pumbaa's. I wish they did.[/quote]

Actually, according to the deleted scene Don Hahn presents, the filmmakers were going to tell both of their stories:

TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Previous

Return to The Lion King