Deleted Scenes

Deleted Scenes

Postby Shenzi Kopa » November 24th, 2013, 9:16 am

While on youtube I discovered these scenes that never made it past storyboard.

These are my favorites.

An alternate ending in which Scar defeated Simba but his victory was short lived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14TwUGQ3xE
Though it may not have been appreciated by it's target audience hence most of us at the time of release, now as an adult I find something rather darkly poetic about Scar going out that way. This would have been far better in my opinion.

An alternate version of the 'Be Prepared' number where Scar tried to court Nala to be his queen.
WARNING: Due to containing a Hunchback Of Notre Dame 'Hellfire' atmosphere this scene may be disturbing to younger fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl8gDjaHWWA

This is an alternate version of Simba making the decision to return to the pridelands. In this version Nala seems to have come to embrace his 'Hakuna Matata' lifestyle and has had second thoughts about his facing Scar afraid she could lose him again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEKo4iHI7C0

An extended montage from 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight.' The song is not included, there is no audio and the alternate footage begins around 1:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhVGHBf7_8

This one is not so great and it can be agreeable why it was removed.
'To Be King', a short Mufasa song number during the scene where he's showing Simba the kingdom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCPgUSze9dw

Small Mufasa joke as he parts ways with Scar after giving him hell for not attending Simba's ceremony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cxgEu5ZWKU

This one is from the second film, but it's interesting and intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cctODMSwcj0

Though the alternate death scenes were removed understandably for being disturbing and possibly a negative influence I would have liked to have seen that introduction to the outlanders kept, it provides more insight on the characters.
Nuka's final line 'I finally got your attention' could be seen as encouraging teenagers who feel ignored by their parents to commit suicide and in the early 90's possibly still, television/films were the most common inspiration of high school suicides. It's because of this statistic that a favorite series of mine had to slightly alter the setting of one of it's episodes.
With or without that line however his death would have been slightly more powerful with that introduction.

Enjoy these:

~Vitani
Always Uncle Scar's Shenzi
fanart.lionking.org artist name: Silentraventears
Shenzi Kopa
Angel of Darkness

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Re: Deleted Scenes

Postby Meskhenet » November 24th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I've seen all of them in the past. It's kind of disappointing that the original version of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" was never placed in the film. In my opinion, the verses sung between Simba and Nala are more meaningful and they stick to their overall personality.

I didn't enjoy the song "To Be King..." because it seems to be slightly distasteful to the plot of the movie and it seems that it placed in there at the last minute like "Morning Report". Too bad the "Be Prepared" reprise never made the movie. It was a great way to introduce the hyenas into Pride Rock.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby Shenzi Kopa » November 24th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Agreed, I thought 'To Be King' made Mufasa appear a bit vein, that the entire number seemed more like something that would occur in a spoof film.
The 'Be Prepared' reprise gave some depth to Scar and foreshadowed the idea in the second film of his selecting Kovu as his heir.

Despite being relieved that the 'To Be King' number was removed it kind of stumps me that according to youtube users these deleted numbers were due to the actors being unable to sing. They had a separate kid for young Simba's singing roles, it wasn't JTT.
Always Uncle Scar's Shenzi
fanart.lionking.org artist name: Silentraventears
Shenzi Kopa
Angel of Darkness

Pride Points: 5

Postby Meskhenet » November 25th, 2013, 2:14 am

Agreed! :D

The deleted songs and scenes still could have made the movie if they took another approach but kept the idea intact. For example, they could keep the reprise of "Be Prepared", but remove the scene where Scar tries to "make his move" on Nala or at least make it more suitable to the younger audience members. But that's just my two cents. :cutenala:
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby juhouh » December 14th, 2013, 11:20 pm

That Mufasa's song reminds me of some kind of Soviet military march more than Disney song
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Queen_Nala » September 13th, 2014, 10:50 am

Most of these deleted scenes would have enjoyed the be prepared version and longer Can you feel the love tonight, heh perhaps because my fursona is in it.
Queen_Nala
Young Queen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Come cuddle with me...

Nickname(s): Nala, Little one, Young one, Young Queen, Angel
Pride Points: 2

Return to The Lion King