How old are the characters?

How old are the characters?

Postby EdtheHyena » November 17th, 2013, 6:23 am

Thought I'd make a topic about the characters' ages.

I see Simba and Nala as cubs being about 8 and 7, and as adults about 23 and 22. Mufasa...maybe 53?

The rest of the characters should age over the course of the movie, but they don't---visibly, at least. Well, let's just assume they do and give them an average. Scar seems between 40 and 50, so I'd say he's around 45. Timon seems to be somewhere in his 30s, so I'll say 35. The same goes for the three hyenas. Zazu and Pumbaa I would put at about 45, and the same would go for Sarabi. As for Rafiki, I'd average him at about 70.

What do you guys think?

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Eddie
Pride Points: 3

Re: How old are the characters?

Postby Meskhenet » November 17th, 2013, 6:27 am

It seems likely at least in my opinion, but I kind of disapprove about Zazu's age. I feel that he maybe slightly younger than forty-five, but that's my two cents. :embarrassed:
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby EdtheHyena » December 8th, 2013, 4:36 am

Hmm...well he does sound older in the TV series and the sequel, so I'd say maybe he aged in that time cause his voice deepened?

Throughout the movie (from Simba's birth til he climbs pride rock) he sounds the same, so that makes sense.

"Don't lose you're way...with each passing day...you've come so far, don't throw it away."
EdtheHyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby PrincessKiara » December 12th, 2013, 12:10 am

I pretty much agree, except I think Mufasa and Sarabi were in their mid 30s when they had Simba, and early/mid forties during his cubhood.
I`d say Pumbaa was max 40 when he met Simba, and Zazu was late 30s/early 40s in the beginning of TLK.
As for Rafiki, I`d say late 60s/early 70s in TLK.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby TheLionPrince » December 15th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Before the overhaul, there used to be a thread similar to yours.

I still stand my lion-human years conversion, which states 1 lion year is equivalent to 7 human years. Luckily, I did manage to find a seemingly reliable animal/human age calculator, which states the same thing.

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Young/Adult Simba: An August 1993 script written by the screenwriters states Simba is a full-grown cub, so he would be relatively a 6-month cub so, he would relatively be a 6 year old if cub Simba were a human child. As an adult, Simba would be about 35 years, as I predict Simba is a 5-year-old adult lion (due to that male lions are capable to of challenging another male by that age) towards the end of the first film. So, Simba's Pride, Simba is in his 40s during the first half, and in his early 50s during the second half.

Young/Adult Nala: I believe the same theory about Simba can be applied to Nala, though the filmmakers have never confirmed that Nala is older or younger than Simba.

Mufasa: Mufasa is certainly older than a 5-year-old in lion years, as he's far capable of challenging another lion or any other animal, so he's most likely in his 40s by the time he died.

Scar: Although Scar is the younger brother of Mufasa, the film never specifies how much younger than he is. So, I speculate that Mufasa and Scar are born in the same litter, though Mufasa was the first-born, which means Scar is also in his 40s by the start of the movie, and in his (early) 70s when he dies.

Sarabi: Possibly Most likely the same age as Scar or Mufasa. (She is likely in her 70s towards the end of the movie.)

Sarafina: No clue. She is most likely in the same generation as Sarabi, Scar, and Mufasa.

Young/Adult Kiara: In the film, Nala tells Simba that Kiara is "just like you when you were young" so cub Kiara would be 6 human years. Based on Rooney's words below referring to Kovu's age, Kiara is a teenager as well, but relatively a year younger than Kovu.

Young/Adult Kovu: Cub Kovu is slightly older than cub Kiara, so he would be about 7 years. On the Proud of Simba's Pride documentary, I recall director Darrell Rooney mentioning Kovu is a "teenaged killer". Therefore, adult Kovu is actually a teenager.

Nuka: Nuka's age really confused me, since I didn't have the filmmakers's words to fall back on. So, I speculate Nuka, during the first half of the movie, is a 2-year-old based on his underdeveloped mane so he's probably an adolescent, therefore 14 human years. By the time, Kovu is a "teenaged killer", he is in his 20s.

Vitani: Although unconfirmed by the filmmakers, I speculate Vitani and Kovu are littermates since they appear to be congruent in size and shape. Therefore, in my opinion, Vitani is also a teenager, but older than Kiara.

Zira: This one confused me more than Nuka did, but I doubt Zira is in the same generation as Scar and Mufasa, because she would be too old to bear her own cubs, so I speculate Zira is slightly older than Simba. Maybe, Zira is her mid 50s in human years throughout the second half of Simba's Pride.

Timon, Pumbaa, Zazu, Rafiki, and the hyenas don't seem to have age at all throughout the films.[/quote]
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby juhouh » December 19th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Well this is how do I see them in human ages

Simba (cub): 8
Nala (cub): 8
Simba: 24
Nala: ~20
Sarabi: 41
Sarafina: 23
Rafiki: 68
Mufasa: 50
Scar: 35
Timon: 32
Pumbaa: 32

Of course they are a bit away from their actual age but not every character were drawn as old as they should be. I can see a huge age difference between Sarafina and Sarabi for example
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby EdtheHyena » December 22nd, 2013, 4:22 am

I believe the reason the non-lion characters don't seem to age is because they are different animals, and might age slower.

EdtheHyena

Postby Arbystrider » February 3rd, 2014, 12:09 am

[quote="juhouh"]Well this is how do I see them in human ages

Simba (cub): 8
Nala (cub): 8
Simba: 24
Nala: ~20[/quote]

Wait... What?

You think they're the same age as cubs but 20% different when they're adults? lel

Not flipping out or hating, just pointing out that it seems odd.

Rafiki might be 900 years old for all we know, since he's pretty much a Yoda clone. He even has kickarse kung-fu skills, bad English and sage attitude.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby juhouh » February 3rd, 2014, 12:05 pm

^ Yes, it doesn't make sense. That's what they do look like
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby ScarLoyal » May 3rd, 2014, 1:08 pm

Well, this is how I see them in human ages. :D
Mufasa (30s to 40s)
Sarabi (40s to 50s)
Sarafina (30s to 40s)
Nala (10 to 20s)
Simba (10 to 20s)
Scar (30s to 40s)
Zazu (40s to 50s)
Timon (20s to 30s)
Pumba (30s to 40s)
Rafiki (60s to 70s)
Zira (40s to 50s)
Kovu (14 to 19)
Kiara (13 to 16)
Nuka (19 to 20s)
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Next

Return to The Lion King