Why is Mufasa so much more serious than Adult Simba?

Re: Why is Mufasa so much more serious than Adult Simba??

Postby PrincessKiara » December 13th, 2013, 10:13 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Mufasa was old. OLD. He was visibly old and he was a monarch.[/quote]

I personally don`t think Mufasa was THAT old. He seems to be a mature male certainly, but still in his prime when Simba is a cub.

Anyway, like Julie Skywalker said, Mufasa had a huge responsibility resting on his shoulders, but we did see Mufasas playful side more than once. He seemed to have a good sense of humour, was kind-hearted as well as stern and powerful. I think the balance between his different roles as king and father was shown clearly.

In TLK, the young adult Simba has grown up with the Hakuna Matata philosophy, he hasn`t been needing to take any responsibility and so if you compare him and Mufasa, the older lion may come across as too harsh and serious, but I personally feel that comparison is unfair to Mufasa.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Carl » December 13th, 2013, 11:06 pm

[quote="PrincessKiara"][quote="Julie Skywalker"]Mufasa was old. OLD. He was visibly old and he was a monarch.[/quote]

I personally don`t think Mufasa was THAT old. He seems to be a mature male certainly, but still in his prime when Simba is a cub.[/quote]
I only wrote it that way because of the wording the OP used originally that has since been edited out. It does look like I'm calling him an old fart now that it's out of context but it wasn't intended that way.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby PrincessKiara » December 13th, 2013, 11:43 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"][quote="PrincessKiara"][quote="Julie Skywalker"]Mufasa was old. OLD. He was visibly old and he was a monarch.[/quote]

I personally don`t think Mufasa was THAT old. He seems to be a mature male certainly, but still in his prime when Simba is a cub.[/quote]
I only wrote it that way because of the wording the OP used originally that has since been edited out. It does look like I'm calling him an old fart now that it's out of context but it wasn't intended that way.[/quote]

OK, I didn`t know the original post was worded differently. Thanks for explaining. :)
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Why is Mufasa so much more serious than Adult Simba?

Postby Meskhenet » January 23rd, 2014, 1:25 am

Mufasa was the king and being king holds so much responsibilities such as keeping the hyenas out of the Pride Lands, solving the disputes that would've come up between his subjects, maintain and establish alliances with other prides (if he ever did) as well as look after the welfare of his family and pride which is a lot responsibility to place on one lion. He does however show that he can be fun, but only when the time calls for it.

Simba on the other hand was a rambunctious cub always getting into trouble sometimes with Nala as his accomplice, and he was raised with the Hakuna Matata lifestyle with Timon and Pumbaa during the majority of his life which didn't help one bit. By living with Timon and Pumbaa, Simba has lost all sense of responsibility and therefore it was hard for him to come to terms that he should return to Pride Rock to usurp his uncle from the throne. He only returned after Mufasa reminded him his true place in the Circle of Life (Which he was The one true king). If Nala didn't find Simba then it would be most likely that he would've remained in the jungle for the remainder of his life.
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby DGFone » January 23rd, 2014, 6:01 am

Well for one thing, Mufasa never grew up living in a jungle with Timon and Pumbaa in a "Hakuna Matata" lifestyle, and I think that at the end, this is what matters the most between Mufasa and Simba.

After all, while there are no facts about it, we can assume that as soon as he was old enough, Mufasa was being groomed to grow up to be king. That means a lot of serious discussions and I would imagine at least some stamping down on "silliness", because how is a king supposed to act? And yes, as older he gets and gets more experience, I would imagine that he would some more serious as well.

What we do know is that Simba on the other hand lived a care free life during this same-ish time period. While he should have normally been learning how to be a king from Mufasa, he was learning how to be a real clown from Timon and Pumbaa. When he finally returns home, he starts all the training that he missed, but by then, it's quite hard to unlearn all those Hakuna Matata lessons that he was brought up under.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 23rd, 2014, 10:35 pm

I'd like to explain that a big factor in my making this topic was OneTrueKing1's signature.

Just look at it and tell me it doesn't make it seem like Simba is "young and hip" in contrast to other kings like Mufasa.
Animal of the Wild

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: -18

Postby ScarLoyal » April 24th, 2014, 10:17 am

Well. Simba defiantly had a more 'care free' life style, he had two friends that took care of him and even convinced him that his past life didn't matter anymore to even go back to. But Mufasa probably had a stressful life. He had to make sure that his Pride was safe away from the hyenas and sort out disputes between the animals. I bet he even had a more stressful life growing up with Scar! But in a way, Simba seems more younger than his father. He even has a funky hair do! :lol: But he was very protective of Kiara in SP. :oh?:

(EDIT)
My point was that Mufasa was more regal and 'mature' than Simba. I mean, his heavy build and bushy eyebrows.. But Simba has a more softer personality than his father. And what do you mean? It's kinda obvious he does! :smug: But that's the point. He had a much more 'care free' life and became more soft. Well, at least he was a little more 'regal' in SP. ;)
Last edited by ScarLoyal on April 26th, 2014, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 25th, 2014, 6:39 pm

You guys are all sending me mixed messages.

Also..."He even has a funky hairdo"? Uh, other than when he comes out of the lake at the end of Hakuna Matata, he doesn't. And what does that have to do w/ anything?
Animal of the Wild

Postby ScarLoyal » April 29th, 2014, 6:25 am

My point was that Mufasa was more regal and 'mature' than Simba. I mean, his heavy build and bushy eyebrows.. But Simba has a more softer personality than his father. And what do you mean? It's kinda obvious he does! :smug: (Well it looks more 'whacky' and unique like Kovu's anyway.) But that's the point. He had a much more 'care free' life and became more soft. Well, at least he was a little more 'regal' in SP. ;)
When I think of what that BRUTE did.. I get a little TENSE!
ScarLoyal
These lands belong to Scar!

That's my Lullaby!

Nickname(s): Insane lioness, Rightful Queen, Team Outsiders!
Pride Points: 1

Postby Animal of the Wild » April 29th, 2014, 6:40 am

Thank you sooooo much for responding!

[quote="ScarLoyal"] And what do you mean? It's kinda obvious he does! :smug:[/quote]

Wait---his "hairdo""?

So you WEREN'T talking about when he came out of the water, than?

By saying that, you're basically saying Mufasa had a funky hairdo---I mean, it's not that different from Mufasa's, as far as I can tell, besides being less thick.

So I felt bad for making this topic, when really, what I had to say was pretty accurate, I guess?

Because Mufasa really was something of a Captain Von Trapp to Simba's Ferris Bueller. Everyone was telling me to stop being hard on Mufasa, saying he was hard and that Simba was a lazy doofus who shaped up, but...

someone else said "but by then, it's quite hard to unlearn all those Hakuna Matata lessons that he was brought up under."

Also, listen to this, from an online description of Simba I found: "Simba spends a long time with his new friends, and ... one day he has become a beautiful and strong young Lion. But it's like he doesn't take any notice of that, and continues to be a cub inside his heart. That alone would be very okay, but Simba also forgot himself, forgot his past..."

Would it really be OK? After all, he's the king. Mufasa never acted like that, so obviously it wasn't ok...was it?
Animal of the Wild

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion King