A Discussion of the Disney Prince.

A Discussion of the Disney Prince.

Postby Elton John » September 12th, 2016, 7:46 pm

Most of the time, the Disney Prince is often not included in the discussions... So here's to the not yet king, royal males of Disney fame.

Most of the early Disney princes were rather bland and sometimes had no backstory or little screentime.

The prince from Snow White has no name in the movie. He has little screentime, and has barely what constitutes a personality. Not much to say about him.

I haven't seen cinderella in ages, don't remember much about the prince in it.

Sleeping Beauties prince has more screen time, a bit more of a personality, and is more memorable than snow whites prince - just not by much.

Does Bambi count? His father is the great prince of the forest so... I guess? Haven't seen the movie since the early 90's so I don't remember much about his personality.

Prince John is the first Disney prince that's a villain. He also seems to have a lot of mommy issues.

Prince Eric from the little mermaid... He's okay but still a bit on the bland side.

Beast from beauty and the beast I will comment more on after I see the batb blu ray rerelease later this month. I remember liking him.

Does Aladdin count? He's very charming, he does seem to have a good heart deep down but he's also a compulsive liar.

Then there is Simba during the first half of the lion king. A bit bratty, naive, arrogant.... But also loyal to what he considers friends and family, he has a lot of admiration for his father and when dangerous situations happen he goes out of his way to make sure that Nala is safe. He's also a fun character.

I'm probably skipping a lot of characters, but the next one I can think of is Prince Naveen from Princess and the Frog. He's a fun character.

After that I remember Prince Hans. FROZEN SPOILERS
Spoiler: show
he tried to chop annas head off with a sword. Not the most pleasant death I can think of

The only other prince I can think of is Kion from the lion guard. I'm really starting to like him. He's responsible, a somewhat good tactician and leader, and also a competent fighter outside of his fancy rawr.

Any other princes I didnt mention? They are ok to discuss as well.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: A Discussion of the Disney Prince.

Postby TheLionPrince » September 13th, 2016, 10:00 pm

Flynn Rider counts as a Disney Prince since he married Rapunzel in Tangled Ever After. According to Disney Wiki, John Smith and Li Shang are included in the official line-up, although they are not of royal descent or marry into royalty. Other than that, I share your opinion on most of the characters albeit with a little more detail (which I'll probably get into later). It's just hilarious how over the decades (at least until the Beast), the writers in the story department could barely give a prince or the leading male an engaging personality as they do with the princesses.

The Prince in Snow White lacks a personality and name. As seen in the beginning, he has some sort of previous relationship with Snow White, but it's never told or described. He has a good singing voice, though.

I count Bambi as a Disney prince, although he's not a human. Young Bambi was cute, innocent, and naïve as most children are around his age, but it's not strongly characterized with any notable traits as young Simba's was. Adult Bambi was bland.

You're not missing much from the Prince in Cinderella. He also lacks a definite personality and is basically there to ballroom dance with Cinderella. A lot of people criticize him for not being present to see if the glass slipper fits the girl (as other adaptations may show), but for his safety and for the sake of not getting mobbed, it's best he wasn't there. Cinderella III gives him some sort of a personality.

While he has a significant amount of screentime compared to the last three princes, Prince Eric is still written as a mundane character. While he has a carefree, adventurous qualities (and has the strength and might to steer enormous ships), his personality still lacks depth. Although we spend a great amount of time in his castle, nothing of his background is revealed to us. The Broadway musical, as I've read, corrected this. Other than his handsome looks, it's not explained what Ariel sees in him that causes her to fall for him so strong.

The Beast is finally a different story because he actually has a character arc. Shown as stubborn, self-centered, and verbally abusive, the Beast was a great parallel to Gaston. Unlike Gaston, he showed the capacity to evolve as a character, and despite having a mishmash appearance of several animals, he has the heart and soul of a human underneath.

I'll write about the other princes on a later time.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby PridelandsPhantom » September 17th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Most of the early Disney princes were pretty bland and generic so it's really difficult to assess their character or really give them much of a role beyond prince. Bambi would be counted as a prince since his father is the great prince of the forest. I'd say of the early golden age he's about the only prince that breaks the mold in any way as we see some of what shapes him, mainly the death of his mother. I would say the first real prince to have depth would be Adam from Beauty in the Beast. At first Adam isn't likable at all as the Beast: he's selfish, has a temper, and pretty much seems cold. However, we see a lot of it is despair and depression over the curse and when he saves Belle from the wolves we start to see he isn't really uncaring at all, just hesitant to be hopeful. We see him grow a lot and he has depth. Simba is of course a prince until the last half of the film and he's interesting. I would imagine a royal cub to be much like Simba. He has an attitude of self-importance, being carefree, and playful. He is michevious, loving, and playful as I'd expect someone of a royal birth to be but also naive in many ways. We see his growth as well as he experiences many things that influence and shape him.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby FlipMode » September 21st, 2016, 6:52 pm

I agree Beast is almost unarguably the most interesting Disney prince. For a number of reasons. He actually has a character, for instance.
He was certainly more interesting than Belle that's for sure. "YOU WILL EAT DINNER WITH ME! THAT'S NOT A REQUEST!"
"... I see something in him, deep down."
Are you kidding me?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby FireAndSun » September 21st, 2016, 7:35 pm

The early Disney princes are definitely remarkably boring. The female leads aren't much more interesting to me, but at least Snow White and Cinderella still had something approaching a personality. Their male leads, not so much. I feel the situation is reversed with Aurora and Philip. Aurora has barely any screen time, and she's got pretty much no personality. She's simply the end goal. Philip is still fairly boring, but at least he has some character.

Bambi.... I don't really recall much about Bambi. He was cute I suppose. Eric is better characterized, but he's still pretty boring. He's a generic nice guy. Not that there's anything wrong with nice guys. But there's little else to him. But I like him better than Ariel. She annoys me to no end.

The Beast is personally my favorite as far as the Disney princes or male leads go. He's got the most development and the most interesting character. He's certainly more interesting than Belle, that's for sure. I like Belle, but it isn't really her story in my eyes. To me, she's the character whose eyes we see through the story through, while the Beast is the real focus of the story. The fact that Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite Disney movies probably does make me a bit biased.

Flynn/Eugene is plenty entertaining. He's not my favorite, but his kinda jerky but likable personality rubbed off on me after a while. I also find him and Rapunzel to be absolutely adorable. Though their age difference is kinda weird.

Hans.... I don't really like Hans. He's fine before his "big reveal" as the villain, but after that I stopped taking him seriously. That's one of the weakest twists I've ever seen. Frozen didn't need a villain, and he's so much worse than the great villains Disney has created in the past.
Last edited by FireAndSun on September 22nd, 2016, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireAndSun

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 25

Postby TheLionPrince » September 22nd, 2016, 1:03 am

[quote="Flip_FTW"]I agree Beast is almost unarguably the most interesting Disney prince. For a number of reasons. He actually has a character, for instance.
He was certainly more interesting than Belle that's for sure. "YOU WILL EAT DINNER WITH ME! THAT'S NOT A REQUEST!"
"... I see something in him, deep down."
Are you kidding me?[/quote]

I don't recall Belle actually saying "I see something in him, deep down", but she did say something similar to that when she rescued Maurice from freezing to death ("But he's different, now. He's changed somehow."). Either way, she said that after the Beast had changed. Even Belle had to not judge by appearance, but find the inner beauty from within. Yes, the film was the Beast's story, but don't write Belle off as some shallow character.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Squeely » November 26th, 2016, 11:33 am

Golden Age Films:
Agreed that early Disney princes are bland as all get-out. I've heard Snow's prince was supposed to be way more involved with the story, but he proved difficult to animate when the film's budget was already ballooning. I can see why they cut him down significantly, as I don't think too much is lost in his absence. Still, interesting to wonder how the film would have played out with him having a bigger role. I'm not sure what the deal is with Cinderella's prince, though. He was basically as lacking as Snow's, but drawing realistic humans wasn't a completely new thing like it was with Snow White. You'd think, since Disney had a good handful of films under their belt at that point, that Cinderella's prince would have had something to him. Alas.

Phillip and Bambi are definitely the most interesting princes of the golden age, but that still isn't saying much. Bambi as a fawn is cute and very curious about the world around him, which is typical of any young child. Both Bambi and Phillip are your typical strong, dashing heroes, which is fine, but there isn't really anything else to them.

I will add that I never found the lack of character for the golden age princes to be that much of a problem, though I'd definitely say it's a minor gripe I have with each of their respective films. Fairy tales are often pretty simplistic with regards to characterization, and I think Disney mostly kept to that. There's something a lot more "classic" feeling about the golden age films vs later films, and while that doesn't make them better than the later films per se, it is an appropriate feeling.

90s Renaissance Era Films:
I really like Eric. He's pretty kickbutt at sailing, and steering the mast of his ship straight into Ursula was definitely his crowning moment of awesome. But I will admit, beyond that and his general good-guy-ness, there isn't much to him. It's a shame, because it makes Ariel's attraction towards him come off as pretty shallow.

Beast/Adam is where things really pick up for Disney princes. He's definitely my favorite, because you can see where his severe anger issues come from (compounded by the fact that he was only around 10 when he was transformed and his world fell apart), and his growth as a character feels very natural. Aladdin is a lot of fun, though his compulsive lying is certainly a bad thing. He does the right thing by freeing Genie, though, so he ain't all bad.

I really love Simba, he's probably my second favorite prince, for the duration that he is one, at least. He's got a lot to his character as both cub and adult; he really is a Disney prince done right. Naive, inquisitive, playful, egotistical (understandable as he was a cub and didn't know any better), and adventure-seeking as a cub, then grappling with depression and his past as an adult. It makes for a wonderfully dynamic character.

John Smith, like most Pocahontas characters, is just kinda... there. He's onboard with slaughtering natives until he meets a pretty one... Yikes, that's worse than Aladdin's lying and for that matter, worse than every other prince in general. It would have been an easy fix: have him be a newbie explorer, while other, more seasoned explorers talk about slaughtering natives, and John looks uneasy about doing such a thing. Perhaps even gets laughed at by the crew of the ship for seeming so hesitant. It may not have been historically accurate, but neither are magic talking trees, so eff it, it would have given John more of a struggle and made him more likable. There's not much else to John's character; he's pretty much your typical dashing hero type, which is a shame, since it seemed like Disney had really nailed it as far as writing princes up to that point. Eric even had a je ne sais quois about him that John seems to lack. I don't know what went wrong with Pocahontas, as while I wouldn't go so far as to call it bad by any means, the writing is definitely weak.

Does Phoebus count as a prince? I really admired his sense of humor, and willingness to work with Quasi.

Li Shang was great as a stern-but-secretly-warmhearted captain.

It could be argued that Tarzan is a prince, as he's often described as "king of the apes" or "king of the jungle", but doesn't ascend to that rank until the very end of the film. I adore Tarzan. Poor guy goes through a lot of identity crises throughout the film due to his being torn between worlds, but that's exactly what makes him so interesting. That and, he's very kindhearted and oozes charisma.

Modern Renaissance Era Films:
I love Naveen, his being something of a screw-up when it comes to his parents' fortune is very entertaining. I love how he brings fun and a more carefree attitude into Tiana's life, but doesn't put her down for being a workaholic and helps her follow her dream. Flynn was hilarious, especially when paired with Maximus, definitely another fave.

I'm mixed on Hans. His sudden heel-turn around halfway through the film was an interesting twist I didn't see coming... On the other hand, it sucked the likability right out of him. I feel like there were more interesting places to go with the whole youngest of 13 princes thing, it certainly could have made him relatable to anyone who has a lot of siblings and added to his likability, but they didn't go there. Turning him into a villain felt like they were shoehorning a villain in at the last minute, when Frozen didn't really need one and would have felt more unique without. Here's hoping Hans gets some sort of redemption in Frozen 2. I definitely want to enjoy him more.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Elton John » November 26th, 2016, 12:19 pm

There was no heel-turn for hans. He always seemed to be a creeper, just that he was good at hiding it. He never loved Anna.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Squeely » November 26th, 2016, 12:26 pm

[quote="The Lionvengers"]There was no heel-turn for hans. He always seemed to be a creeper, just that he was good at hiding it. He never loved Anna.[/quote]
Yeah, you're right about that. It sure felt like one, though :lol:
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Return to The Den