The Guard should have one more female member

Re: The Guard should have one more female member

Postby Elton John » September 2nd, 2016, 8:39 pm

That, and jasiri is likely a matriarch. In Hyena society the leader is a female. So she probably has a snobby attitude towards males because of that.

She never says this but it's heavily implied that Jasiri respects Kion. If she were to join the guard she'd probably rethink her males are stupid stance based on how Ono and Besthe are logical and how the two make good decisions more often than not.

I'm also kind of glad that she has that line of thought. Not because I think that males are stupid or because it's a positive personality trait.

I think it's a good idea to teach kids that good people can have bad things or characteristics about themselves and still be good people.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Gaze » September 5th, 2016, 5:46 am

yeah, I think any of the Guard members could have totally worked as female characters, and it's a shame we only got one. yes, we have Tiifu, Zuri, and Kiara....but not only do they show up very rarely, they also have quite stereotypical personalities (I love ya, Zuri, but I'm lookin at you). so more variety would be nice. I love the other female characters that have been introduced (Jasiri and Reirei are the best!) but more consistent appearances of good female characters would be great.

I think TLG was probably intended to be a gender-neutral show aimed at all children, but unfortunately in our society gender-neutral often means defaulting to masculine attributes, since 'male' is seen as the 'default'. so we get mostly male characters in an effort to appeal to a wider audience. wouldn't want to risk losing your male audience as a result of having predominantly female characters. but as others have said, that wouldn't necessarily be the case! after what happened with MLP:FIM, I'm surprised there aren't more shows for very young children that focus on female characters....

but yeah, I do like that Ono and Beshte aren't particularly masculine characters. it's good to show male characters that are more gentle and kind, etc.... so maybe it would have been neat to replace Bunga with a female character. showing strong friendships between male and female characters that don't result in a romance is an important thing!
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Elton John » September 5th, 2016, 7:03 am

Strong friendships between male/female characters that aren't romantic? Like Lilo and Stitch or most recently Nick and Judy from Zootopia?

That does sound good.

Then again, i've seen too many people who think that nick and judy are a canon couple just because they are the lead characters when they aren't even slightly romantically involved...

Oh right, and the main 5 human characters of big hero 6, two of which are females, have strong friendships and no romance.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Squeely » September 5th, 2016, 8:01 am

[quote="Elton John"]
Then again, i've seen too many people who think that nick and judy are a canon couple just because they are the lead characters when they aren't even slightly romantically involved...[/quote]
To be fair, there was the whole "You know you love me" line, as well as deleted material that strongly hinted toward a relationship.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Elton John » September 5th, 2016, 8:38 am

I saw that line as a different kind of love. Not really the romantic kind. And deleted scenes are usually not in the movie for good reason.

Though I do think there is a chance that if Zootopia 2 were ever made they would be a romantic couple and that the theme would be something about mix race (or in their case, predator/prey) couples, and the animals of zootopia not being too keen on that.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » September 5th, 2016, 10:24 am

[quote="Sadiki"]showing strong friendships between male and female characters that don't result in a romance is an important thing![/quote]

I original thought that Kion and Fuli's friendship would demonstrate that (Much to the dismay of Kion/Fuli shippers, and admittedly slight disappointment to myself) However when Kion and Fuli banter back and forth as they often do I can't help but wonder if there isn't some low-level flirting going on. Although I think it is more likely that I am reading more into it than I should.

As for this thread's topic (sort of), I'd be O.K. with Jasiri joining The Lion Guard, Though if I were Kion I'd pitch the Idea to Nala. Then if you can get her on your side, go to Simba. Because if Nala supports the idea of Jasiri being on The Lion Guard, Simba (after some mild grumbling and resistance) would reluctantly approve.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Sushi » September 5th, 2016, 8:04 pm

[quote="Squeely"]Jasiri's dislike of boys makes sense when one considers the boys she usually encounters. Janja and co aren't exactly the epitome of smart or polite. And it could add some very nice character development for Jasiri to be shown that not all boys are so oafish. Beshte would probably be the best for her to hang around in that regard, and now I kinda hope that happens at some point.[/quote]

That does happen a little bit in that episode. She is very critical of lions at first but then they become friends towards the end.

Ive seen a few more episodes now so I know a little more. I quite like Fuli actually. I kind of relate to her with the "Don't touch my fur" and liking to be both with her friends but liking to have alone "me" time too.

I do think we are digging too deeply into the cartoon when you think about the age range it is targeted at. But still fun to discuss.
Sushi

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Samaki
Telegram: @jagerleopard (https://telegram.me/jagerleopard)
Pride Points: 2

Postby Squeely » September 7th, 2016, 1:21 am

[quote="Elton John"]I saw that line as a different kind of love. Not really the romantic kind. And deleted scenes are usually not in the movie for good reason.[/quote]
I saw it as non-romantic too, and I know deleted stuff doesn't technically count as canon. Doesn't mean shippers aren't going to use that as fuel, though.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard