Do you recommend The Lion Guard ?

yes
82%
no
18%

Total votes : 22

Is it good ?

Postby Biomac » April 23rd, 2016, 10:04 pm

Hey guys, I haven't wathed The Lion Guard yet, and wanted to know if you recommend it.

I've checked it a bit, and it looks ok, but still very children oriented.

Just state your reasons, and explain a little bit if you want. I don't care if you give an objective or subjective reason I just your opinion.

Thank you in advance :) !

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Re: Is it good ?

Postby Labatis » April 24th, 2016, 12:30 am

I wouldn't say TLG is bad, but I wouldn't recommend it with full confidence. The show can still be considered new, and I personally think it's improved a little with each episode. But it has disappointments here and there, and you can definitely tell it's for a younger audience. Honestly, I only watch it because it keeps the Lion King universe alive. I say, if you haven't watched it, it's worth giving a shot. Just don't go in with high expectations. I'm sure someone else can give a better opinion; I'm not so good with words.
Labatis
The world is a mess

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and I just need to rule it

Pride Points: 23

Postby Biomac » April 24th, 2016, 2:30 am

What are the disappointments you are talking about ?

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Labatis » April 24th, 2016, 4:47 am

I don't want to be spoiling anything for you. The disappointments are opinionated. I'm sure if you asked someone else, their answer may not be the same as mine. Some things are overused, you don't see everything you want to see, it just depends on who you're asking. If you want a specific example, and don't mind spoilers, feel free to look at the episode reviews on the board. c:
Labatis
The world is a mess

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and I just need to rule it

Pride Points: 23

Postby Carl » April 24th, 2016, 4:56 am

I would recommend it to certain people. If you like a fair few "kids' shows" then you're probably going to enjoy it to some degree. And I saw a thing somewhere that reported a large number of people between I think it was 18 and 25 have been watching the show. It's not bad, and for what it is, it is really good.

However, if you're looking for something as deep as the first film, you're going to be sorely disappointed. If you want a more meaningful story, or hate Timon and Pumbaa and/or fart jokes, you're going to be disappointed.

If you like shows that are fun and colorful and somewhat informative from time to time but that are geared towards a young audience, you'll be good to go with TLG.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Squeely » April 24th, 2016, 5:51 am

It is very good with the right mindset, or very bad without it.

If you're looking for a sweeping epic like TLK, you won't find it here. If you're looking for the crisp and beautiful animation of TLK, well the backgrounds are almost as beautiful, but the character designs are less detailed and more stylized, and it being computer-trying-to-ape-hand-drawn, characters often move stiffly or lack fluidity. The songs are not as good or memorable as TLK's. In general, if you compare it too much to TLK, you're gonna have a bad time.

On the other paw, if you take it as a kids' show with smaller budget, smaller concept, etc it is very good. It has good characters, has a lot of action, and is very fun. It brings back every familiar character from TLK + Kiara (Kovu, Nuka, and Vitani are also confirmed to make an appearance in the future) and adds lovable new ones. It does feature a song in every episode, and while there are some misses, most of them are good. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's only 12 episodes in. Give it more time to reach its peak, though what we have gotten so far hasn't been bad for the most part. And, it is set in the TLK universe, focuses on lion and hyena characters, expands the lore here and there, which I think can keep the show interesting for older fans. It's pretty dynamic for a Disney Junior show, and isn't afraid to show some violence or tackle the occasional tough issue (everything is still within the realm of what would be acceptable for young kids, of course). In those aspects, it certainly knocks the stuffing out of the old Timon and Pumbaa show.

Just go in with an open mind and not-too-high expectations, and you'll hopefully like it just fine.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby zerodix » April 24th, 2016, 10:53 am

how you experience it, depends on what you hope to see in TLG. On kisscartoon you can watch the episodes, each episode is about 25 mins of lenght, each episode contains a song. it is aimed at a younger audience, but no fear, it is not like dora the explorer or other viewer-interactive horror ;)
plusses are the environmental message, the circle of life which is a thing that keeps the moral up in the Lion Guard.
in the first episodes, a lot of new interesting characters are introduced, some with a little depht, most not, since it is aimed at kids who don't need character development apparently..
Bunga, the honey badger, is a character that will annoy you OR you will love him. Personally I despice him :)
I watch every episode once, after seeing it, I have seen it enough. But it interests me enough to watch every time and there are enjoyable things in each episode.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Biomac » April 24th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Does TLG add anything interesting to TLK universe ?

Biomac

Postby Squeely » April 24th, 2016, 11:33 pm

It adds the whole concept of the lion guard. Kion and friends are far from being the first guard. It adds Rafiki being a healer and using his magic staff to make paintings move. You get a lot of focus on various species throughout the pridelands, and learn more about them.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby escobea1 » April 24th, 2016, 11:38 pm

Overall its for viewers interested in exploring the Pride Lands and its residents. The Kupatana Celebration was wonderful as a peacetime event for all animals in the Pridelands, and we may delve into more traditions unheard of in the films. If you've already heard of Kion and his friends as superheroes fighting bad guys and saving animals from inconveniences like falling from a gorge, then you have a good picture of what's in the series.
escobea1

Pride Points: 8

Next

Return to The Lion Guard