episode 3: bunga the wise

Re: episode 3: bunga the wise

Postby InsaneSeagull » January 25th, 2016, 12:11 am

I'll probably write a short opinion, and not a novel, considering that I'm tired, and had a rough day, and it's late. But, yes.

To be honest, I was very afraid to watch this episode in the first, for many reasons. And I expected it to be much worse than it actually is. Yes, it's not amazing or anything, but it's still enjoyable.

I don't agree with what most of you said about it being noneducational and only for enjoyment. I actually think it dealt with a rather serious issue - what happens when someone who shouldn't be trusted way too much is. And also what happens when you never double question someone's opinion just because you assume he's smart.

I loved how other TLG members weren't fooled by Bunga's sudden "smartness", probably because they are the ones who know him best. And I'm glad Bunga in the end realized on his own what he had done. I'm glad other animals recovered from that brainwashing either.

As for the episode's "main" message about not always having the easiest way to solve problems... yes, I do think that would have functioned better hadn't Kion fixed everything using roar. But I do get why he did it, he used it to save both himself and other pridelanders from grave danger.

As for Mufasa... I don't think he did much of a job here, and his appearance didn't bother me at all. It bothered me more in "Rise of the Makuu", I must admit. I do like to think that Kion has a more special connection with dead kings because of the roar, as that might be explaining many things. It's true that Kion should be facing his troubles on his own, but he's still a cub and he does need at least some guidance. He apparently can't get that from Simba. The king is too busy training Kiara. We'll see. Let's hope they don't overuse it.

Overall, yes, I did enjoy this episode, maybe more than Rise of Makuu. Kill me now.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby Tora » January 26th, 2016, 12:29 am

I thought this episode was simply terrible. For the love of all that is holy the catch phrases has to stop. Bunga is the absolute worst at it too. Of course lets make sure to use the roar too while we are at it. If there is one thing that needs to change in this series is the conflicts and their resolutions. You absolutely can not use the roar to get out of every situation. You also can't constantly just use those phrases like "Zuka Zama" all day. It is just getting old real fast.

Enough of a rant for me I guess. ;)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby KiovuLove » January 26th, 2016, 2:23 am

I thought the episode was cute. I loved the song, its one of my favorites on the soundtrack (actually stuck in my head right now). I love that Rafiki has come back into the light. There's a lesson in it too. Bunga is such a ridiculous and obnoxious character, it was interesting to see that they kind of showed him to be not as great as he (or im sure a lot of kids) thinks of himself. I dont know if that makes sense lol i dont know any kids that watch it so i dont really know who's a favorite among them, but usually the most crazy and obnoxious character wins, either that or the leader. lol
But you'll see every day
That we'll never turn away
When it seems all your dreams come undone

We will stand by your side
Filled with hope and filled with pride
We are more than we are
We are one

KiovuLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I laugh in the face of danger!

Nickname(s): Pandi, Jess
Pride Points: 13

Postby SimbaPrescott » January 26th, 2016, 2:59 pm

The episode was a lot better than I expected.
Like many, I was still a bit miffed at Mufasa's rather pointless appearance. Given that Rafiki appeared shortly after, surely he could have given Kion that exact same advice? And of course, another problem solved with the roar. And I get the feeling that the roar will solve next week's problem, too (or at least part of it).

The rest of the episode though, I did enjoy! It was great seeing Rafiki again, too.

Does anyone know what the name of the zebra is? All videos I've seen cut off the credits.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Gaze » January 26th, 2016, 10:17 pm

yeahhh, weakest episode so far (although I realize we don't have much to compare it to!)
I didn't feel much of a desire to watch it a second time once it was over, but after reading some posts here I'll probably do a 2nd viewing soon.

my thoughts....

- annoyed at the fart joke, but yeah, it's not like it's unrealistic for a honey badger, so it can be excused
- I really like that Timon and Pumbaa have their own little spot in the Pridelands named for their motto. seems like a great way for Simba to thank them for raising him
- I agree that it's disappointing to see the roar used in every episode, and that Kion's use of it here pretty much went against the lesson of the easiest solution not necessarily being the best. but.......this was definitely the coolest and most impressive use of the roar so far, so I'll let it slide..!
- also not entirely happy w/ Mufasa's constant appearances in the sky. but not because I think it makes his appearance in the first film less special. I like the theory that Kion's gift makes it easier for him to communicate w/ past kings, and I think that makes sense. I also like the special relationship btwn Kion and Mufasa. but......I just wish Kion could be seeking guidance from his other family members. yeah, Simba's busy with Kiara, but I'm sure he's used to balancing lots of different tasks and would have time to mentor Kion more. and what about Nala? she's barely made any significant appearances at all. but she survived Scar's reign and was the one who left the Pridelands to find help.....I'm sure she's really wise and has lots of experience to share with Kion. and whyyyy can't Sarabi show up? )~: if she were still alive she would be an excellent source of wisdom....and if she's indeed dead, I wish we'd see her appearing in the clouds from time to time too.

overall it's cute and I do love the show but this one just isn't as memorable for me as RotR and the other two episodes! can't wait for this week's.
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Kion » January 27th, 2016, 11:07 am

The roar saving the day was disappointing and unimaginative - but then again, the magical roar is the entire premise of the show - appealing to the younger audience it's aimed at, probably, but not at us old school fans of the original movie. I personally would have preferred to see Mufasa at this point in the show, the ending - maybe a light leading a way up the cliff to guide Kion & co, and afterwards we, the viewers, could have seen Mufasa smiling down because he's protected his grandson. The way Mufasa appears is not subtle enough. It's also not quite spiritual enough and in keeping with the original.

I kind of see the Mufasa visions as a metaphor anyway, like Kion is imagining he's speaking to him regularly.

Really, really enjoyed the moments of the episode featuring Rafiki, Timon & Pumbaa. It is nice to see them in the modern day. Rafiki was even meditating again which was cool, and Timon and Pumbaa charging bugs for the other animals to see Bunga was pretty typical of those two. Those parts were quite enjoyable and funny :)

As a side note, I'm really loving the intro of the episodes, the music isn't cheesy and silly, it's a lovely piece of music with some nice animation.
Kion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hevi Kabisa

Nickname(s): Sam
Pride Points: 3

Postby Squeely » January 28th, 2016, 3:09 am

[quote="Sadiki"]I just wish Kion could be seeking guidance from his other family members. yeah, Simba's busy with Kiara, but I'm sure he's used to balancing lots of different tasks and would have time to mentor Kion more. and what about Nala? she's barely made any significant appearances at all. but she survived Scar's reign and was the one who left the Pridelands to find help.....I'm sure she's really wise and has lots of experience to share with Kion. and whyyyy can't Sarabi show up? )~: if she were still alive she would be an excellent source of wisdom....and if she's indeed dead, I wish we'd see her appearing in the clouds from time to time too. [/quote]
I completely agree, and what about the other lionesses in the pride? There are at least six, and I can't imagine they'd be busy hunting 24/7. We already have a good sense of Mufasa's character; it would be cool to get some characterization for the other lionesses in the pride, and would make the pride feel a lot more fleshed out.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Troll Berserker » January 28th, 2016, 7:49 am

I idn't really like that one.

* Mufasa again - Like I said before, it takes away from Mufasa's ghost guardian's role to appear in every episode at Kion's every little problem. This time it felt really short and unecessary for him to appear.

* Kion's roar - Honestly I don't mind Kion using his roar in every episode, but this time it felt really weird and untrue to the point made earlier. First it says Kion shouldn't use the "easy way" (Roar) to stop the water and at the end he does it anyway.

And running away from water to the canyon, really? I thought they were smarter than that....
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby Rollo » January 28th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Last edited by Rollo on February 26th, 2020, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 28th, 2016, 2:15 pm

[quote="lelizwe"]I think people are being a little harsh on the roar in this particular instance. I will admit running to the canyon was a bit daft, but Kion would be panicking and it's understandable if he wasn't thinking straight about where he was taking them. Considering they were about to drown, I think Kion using the roar was the most sensible decision. It's lazy writing, but lazy writing that makes sense, which is something, at least. What else could they have done?[/quote]

um Ono could have just led Everyone out into the open to escape the flood better, I really dont get why he didnt do that I was surprised, that would have been my advise, actually thats what I dont get? what was Ono thinking when he didn't lead them the other way where the canyon exited out into the open? that would be a common sense decisions to me, that actually really bothers me
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard