Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers?

Re: Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers

Postby Squeely » January 23rd, 2016, 5:42 am

[quote="Sadiki"]
yeah, I totally agree with you, it's just fun to think about if it wasn't a coincidence. I feel like if I were working on a show like TLG I'd have a blast digging up old fan content and finding obscure semi-canon characters to reference :chuckle:[/quote]
It is quite fun. And who knows, perhaps the showrunners do that. I'd certainly love more nods/parallels to Kopa. Admittedly, I'm not much of a Kopa fan, but he did have some neat stories that would be cool if translated to TLG.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby InsaneSeagull » January 23rd, 2016, 8:59 am

OK, I watched this yesterday and... I'm impressed. Mostly. It's the best episode I've seen so far, and it really stated the high standards for the show.

To be honest, I didn't expect much. But I really loved Jasiri! I love how she constantly teases Kion throughout the episode, and I really enjoyed her sarcasm!

"Yes, I'm a hyena. You lions are soooo... clever." <3

Their friendship wasn't rushed. They actually both doubted each other most of the episode, but they overcame it somehow, but still - teased each other. When I read about "friendly hyena" concept, I expected something much different. She was still a typical hyena who loves to laugh and make fun of others, she just happens to have a bit of conscience and consideration of her surroundings. I was glad to hear "the other side of the story", since she's still an outcast, being an hyena, having to live in the Outlands and all. She really made me interested in the other hyenas, especially since she mentioned that most of them "respect the Circle of Life". I hope they'll appear sometime too.

Finally, the stereotypes of hyenas are vanishing! And I'm so happy because of that, because I always wished to see their lighter side.

Yes, I too was a bit annoyed by the fact that Kion's roar had to save the day again, but somehow... it didn't feel that bad this time. I mean, it's true that it could have gone without it, but he used it to avoid someone getting seriously hurt, and to save Jasiri. I don't like the "bragging" part of it though, and all the fuss they make about him being so special just because he can roar *Yes, Fuli, I understand how you feel*.

Another thing that bothered me much much more, and that I don't see that anyone mentioned here, was the misuse of Bunga's catchphrase! I mean "Zuka Zama, Kion's in trouble!". Let's face it, dude, it's creepy. I mean, wasn't that supposed to be your happy moto? It similar to how it would be if Timon screamed "Hakuna Matata" while Simba was endangered by Scar. Therefore, yes, it's misplaced. I mean, I know Bunga's name means "foolish person", but this is a bit too much.

That leads us to another topic - finding Flat Ridge Rock by other TLG members. I actually found it very enjoyable, and I'm glad we learned a bit more about each of other members. I really loved how Fuli handled the situation the whole time, and Ono. Neither of them disappointed me. Even if Fuli ran of in speed and left her friends, that was her only mistake, and she apologized for it. Apology accepted.

Bunga... well, he was still Bunga. Claiming that he knows the way just to make him look great. Yes, he was an awful leader, but I doubt he had bad intentions. He did seem to feel rather sorry for what he did. We'll see.

I'll probably re-watch this now. LOL
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby FlipMode » January 23rd, 2016, 4:13 pm

I'll say this much, I frickin' loved that song! Sisi ni Sawa! That is never going to leave my head.

I'll say some more as well:
So this was my first episode of TLG I've actually seen and my first experience with it outside of a short teaser several months ago and I had already sort of written this show off as something that wouldn't appeal to me. But its Disney and at least related to TLK so I had to give it a go...Aaaaannnddddd....

I LOVED IT! It's so cute! I love Jasiri, her and Kion play off each other so well and her design and character is just so cute d'awww its so perfect. And the overall theme of the story was a nice nod to TLK2 with the whole "Look past our differences and you'll see that we are all one." kind of thing they had going on. I'm not sure if it was intentional but since I really like TLK2 anyway I liked it. Although it was a bit odd that after she told him that they were immediately attacked by hyenas so like, maybe that's not always true.

Animation is good for the most part, with a few moments where it was exceptionally good. Everything moves in a way that fits the art style (which by the way is super cute!)

Voice acting is great as well. I mean at this point Disney have kind of nailed getting the right voice actors and animation. So I kind of expected it to look and sound great.
I have said it before but the music is a huge part of any Disney animation and the song in this episode was really catchy and is going on my current Disney Songs playlist. Having a catchy song that won't leave your head is a must for any Disney thing, its why classics like Pinocchio are still watched today like the song randomly comes in your head and you're like "Now I really want to watch that film again!"

Since it was my first episode (and probably will be the only one I watch until it airs in the UK) it would have been nice to see more of the other characters as well but there's only so much they can fit into one 22 min episode and it assumes you already know the characters so I am not going to knock any points off for that.. IT's kind of what happens if you don't watch a TV series from the beginning

I give it nine overpowered supernatural roaring abilities out of ten :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby SimbasGuard » January 24th, 2016, 8:47 am

[quote="MadamLestrange"]Another thing that bothered me much much more, and that I don't see that anyone mentioned here, was the misuse of Bunga's catchphrase! I mean "Zuka Zama, Kion's in trouble!". Let's face it, dude, it's creepy. I mean, wasn't that supposed to be your happy moto? It similar to how it would be if Timon screamed "Hakuna Matata" while Simba was endangered by Scar. Therefore, yes, it's misplaced. I mean, I know Bunga's name means "foolish person", but this is a bit too much.[/quote]

Zuka Zama means Pop up and dive in. It is not so much Bunga's happy phrase, but it's his call to action. Bunga did dive in to the river to save Kion. ;)
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Akril » March 17th, 2016, 2:30 am

I know I'm pretty late to the party here, and at this point I can't do much but echo most of the positives that have already been noted here (i.e., "Yay, not-evil hyena character", etc.), and yes, I did get a little thrill when Kion said "Asante" to Jasiri.

There actually a few other parallels to "Friends for Life" besides the overarching "Simba's son befriends good female hyena" plot. In both stories, Simba's son (is/is nearly) carried away by a swift river, he and the hyena both end up saving each other (in FFL, Kopa saves Asante from a snake, then she saves him from drowning), and there is a scene where the pair watch a reptile eating an/a insect(s), with Simba's son commenting on (nature/the Circle of Life). Even though these most likely are just coincidences, they're pretty cool.
Signature art by Nala_91
Akril

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 22

Postby Elton John » March 28th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Just rewatched the episode, during the fight with the hyenas kion uses what looks a lot like a 'shoryuken' from the street fighter game franchise.

If someone could make a gif of that i'd love you forever.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Previous

Return to The Lion Guard