Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers?

Re: Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers

Postby Gaze » January 19th, 2016, 4:05 am

ahh, I was about to post a response for this thread a couple days ago but got logged out and lost all that I had written....so sorry I'm a little late here!

anyway - love this episode! I know I'm echoing a lot of you (I have read and enjoyed all your posts) but I guess I'll throw all my thoughts out there anyway:

Jasiri is a great character and I love her design and her voice. as I've said before, I was super disappointed at RotR's lack of female hyenas, so I'm really happy they resolved that issue so early on in the show. it's also great to see a hyena who isn't evil. the similarities btwn Kopa & Asante and Kion & Jasiri are soooo cool but I rly, rly doubt that was intentional....if it was, then I'm impressed. haha.
really enjoyed how Jasiri's "males are foolish" comment served to reinforce the fact that female hyenas are the dominant ones. i'm also really glad that comment wasn't made into a lesson. i half-expected Jasiri to say something to the effect of "I guess I was wrong about males!" after Kion helped her chase off Janja's clan, but I am relieved that her comment was just a standalone one, rather than something that was intended to truly be taken seriously or addressed as being problematic or w/e
also I jst really like Jasiri's personality. she's kind of tough and sassy, but had no problem showing her appreciation for Kion. her reaction to Kion calling her a friend was very sweet and genuine.

the song was very cute, sweet, and catchy. maybe my favorite one thus far (tho I gotta admit I find zuka zama to be rly appealing)

it was cool to see how the Guard functions without Kion. as lelizwe pointed out, all the members of the Guard are very capable and have extremely useful strengths, but it's Kion who is most able to maintain balance and act as a leader. the way this put the spotlight on Kion's leadership abilities made me appreciate him more as a character.
I think all the Guard members really got to shine here. Beshte is so cute and sociable (even if it gets him distracted), Fuli is proud and confident but was still able to acknowledge her mistake and apologize when she left the others behind, Bunga got to be on the 'sidelines' of the episode a little more and thus come off as less annoying while his personality was still kept intact, and Ono is very humble even though he is clearly the most intelligent of the group (and possibly the best stand-in leader in Kion's absence).

I agree that the roar should be featured less frequently. but I liked that Kion had a chance to use the roar to help Jasiri. would really like to see an episode where the roar is ineffective and Kion has to save the day thru other means.

overall very pleased....and wishing I didn't have things to do so I could go start on some Jasiri fanart ASAP
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Pride Points: 26

Postby Squeely » January 19th, 2016, 2:49 pm

[quote="Sadiki"]the similarities btwn Kopa & Asante and Kion & Jasiri are soooo cool but I rly, rly doubt that was intentional....if it was, then I'm impressed. haha.

I agree that the roar should be featured less frequently. but I liked that Kion had a chance to use the roar to help Jasiri. would really like to see an episode where the roar is ineffective and Kion has to save the day thru other means.[/quote]
I'm inclined to believe it's just a big coincidence. I feel like it's highly unlikely the showrunners based anything on an obscure German radio play. We just got something very similar because it's a pretty obvious route to take. "Using the TLK franchise to teach kids that racism is bad? What better way than with a hyena character who is actually nice? Females are the dominant ones in hyena society, so let's make the character female. "Asante" means "thank you", let's put that word in the episode." is what their thought process likely was. Unless we keep getting stuff that parallels Kopa stories, I'm chalking this up to coincidence.

Next episode is "Bunga the Wise" in which "Floodwaters Threaten the Pridelands". I'm unsure of where the roar could come into play, unless the roar can divert water, which I doubt it can. Could see it being a non-roar episode.

I also had an idea: what if a large rhino, elephant, or hippo is causing problems? Those sound like animals that are bulky enough that the roar may not affect them much.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby SimbasGuard » January 20th, 2016, 11:13 am

[quote="Squeely"]I'm inclined to believe it's just a big coincidence. I feel like it's highly unlikely the showrunners based anything on an obscure German radio play. We just got something very similar because it's a pretty obvious route to take. "Using the TLK franchise to teach kids that racism is bad? What better way than with a hyena character who is actually nice? Females are the dominant ones in hyena society, so let's make the character female. "Asante" means "thank you", let's put that word in the episode." is what their thought process likely was. Unless we keep getting stuff that parallels Kopa stories, I'm chalking this up to coincidence.[/quote]

Good point.

[quote="Squeely"]I also had an idea: what if a large rhino, elephant, or hippo is causing problems? Those sound like animals that are bulky enough that the roar may not affect them much.[/quote]

Interesting possibility, although Scar used The Roar to destroy his Lion Guard, if The Roar can kill four Lions, it could be that no animal is immune to it.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Squeely » January 20th, 2016, 1:10 pm

^One thing we're not sure of is if those lions were really killed. It is implied that they were, yes, but they could have also simply been injured. I hope we eventually get more clarity.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Kion » January 20th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Only just saw the episode - think it was absolutely fantastic! Noticed Disney weren't relying on any old characters for this one either, I guess that means we've been eased in to The Lion Guard in its own right.

:D
Kion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hevi Kabisa

Nickname(s): Sam
Pride Points: 3

Postby SimbasGuard » January 21st, 2016, 7:02 am

[quote="Squeely"]One thing we're not sure of is if those lions were really killed. It is implied that they were, yes, but they could have also simply been injured. I hope we eventually get more clarity.[/quote]

True, although I'm more inclined to think they are dead. If any of them did survive they could have told Mufasa of Scar's plan to overthrow him.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 21st, 2016, 2:13 pm

[quote="SimbasGuard"][quote="Squeely"]One thing we're not sure of is if those lions were really killed. It is implied that they were, yes, but they could have also simply been injured. I hope we eventually get more clarity.[/quote]

True, although I'm more inclined to think they are dead. If any of them did survive they could have told Mufasa of Scar's plan to overthrow him.[/quote]

ive been thinking the same thing :huh8:
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Gaze » January 21st, 2016, 10:15 pm

[quote="Squeely"]I'm inclined to believe it's just a big coincidence. I feel like it's highly unlikely the showrunners based anything on an obscure German radio play. We just got something very similar because it's a pretty obvious route to take. "Using the TLK franchise to teach kids that racism is bad? What better way than with a hyena character who is actually nice? Females are the dominant ones in hyena society, so let's make the character female. "Asante" means "thank you", let's put that word in the episode." is what their thought process likely was. Unless we keep getting stuff that parallels Kopa stories, I'm chalking this up to coincidence.[/quote]

yeah, I totally agree with you, it's just fun to think about if it wasn't a coincidence. I feel like if I were working on a show like TLG I'd have a blast digging up old fan content and finding obscure semi-canon characters to reference :chuckle:
Gaze
TLK collector

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

and bad poster

Postby ScarsLove » January 22nd, 2016, 3:40 am

Not necessarily input on the episode but where can I watch it online?

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Gaze » January 22nd, 2016, 7:10 am

[quote="ScarsLove"]Not necessarily input on the episode but where can I watch it online?[/quote]
right here ~
http://www.toonova.com/the-lion-guard-e ... -its-spots
Gaze
TLK collector

and bad poster

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard