Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers?

Re: Thoughts on 'never judge a hyena by its spots'. Spoilers

Postby Rollo » January 16th, 2016, 10:26 pm

I just finished writing my mini review/overview for it, which can be found here: http://leliizwe.tumblr.com/post/1374335 ... -its-spots

It's a huge improvement from Makuu. I said everything I had to say on my Tumblr, but I have very high expectations for this show based on what we've seen so far. I'm really enjoying myself watching it and I think it's a wonderful way of introducing TLK to new fans. I get happier and happier for Disney every time they prove the TLG haters wrong. This episode is one big ol' slap to the face for anyone who thinks its lazy and childish.

Good for you, TLG. 8-)
Rollo

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 29

Postby Tsuki » January 17th, 2016, 1:06 am

[quote="Squeely"][quote="lelizwe"]Has anyone found any good working websites for us non-US fans?[/quote]
Here's where I watched it. I'm in the US, but I'm assuming this works outside of the US as well:
http://www.toonova.com/the-lion-guard-episode-2-never-judge-a-hyena-by-its-spots[/quote]

Squeely you are a life saver! Thanks for the link!!

Ok my review:

Spoiler: show
I LOVED this episode! More than the last one. Jasiri is a sweetheart and Bestie is growing on me :). Loved the song and like the "Never judge" moto :). Though Bunga still annoys somewhat :/. But I hope Jasiri appears in more episodes.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Postby Tora » January 17th, 2016, 2:25 am

I think that it is a major improvement from what has been shown so far, but I still think there is a long way to go. Kion's roar needs to be used much less. You can't use the roar in every episode or it will lose any sense of value that it has. If the solution to saving the Pride Lands is always some roar by a cub lion I think the show will have a short life. There needs to be some more action involved with Kion if you really want to dub him as being "the fiercest." :notagain:

I will applaud this episode however because Kion actually did something other than just use the roar. He got his paws dirty and actually did some real fighting. :) On the other hand it may just be Jasiri playing around with Kion, but I do get quite a "feminist" vibe from the show right now. :hmm4: Then again maybe that is just me.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 17th, 2016, 2:27 am

all I can say after all you have said which I totally agree on is, I cant wait to watch it again since I have my DVR set to new and Reapeats, being a lionking fan means this is the only show I would watch for repeats. ALl my other shows I just watch the new ones and move no need to re-watch repeats as it is just boring for me but Lion guard is a Must watch all the time as much as possible :D
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 17th, 2016, 2:35 am

[quote="Tora"]I think that it is a major improvement from what has been shown so far, but I still think there is a long way to go. Kion's roar needs to be used much less. You can't use the roar in every episode or it will lose any sense of value that it has. If the solution to saving the Pride Lands is always some roar by a cub lion I think the show will have a short life. There needs to be some more action involved with Kion if you really want to dub him as being "the fiercest." :notagain:

I will applaud this episode however because Kion actually did something other than just use the roar. He got his paws dirty and actually did some real fighting. :) On the other hand it may just be Jasiri playing around with Kion, but I do get quite a "feminist" vibe from the show right now. :hmm4: Then again maybe that is just me.[/quote]

and may I might add that Mufasa didn't show up this time ;) , and thats what I was hoping for, but I agree about the roar. And I cant help but think ahead to next season, what would the changes and improvements be, lets just prey that there will be a second season, but I know im getting ahead of everything when it just started :kionoops: , I know patience, lets just wait watch and see what this first season brings. and stay excited for that

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
gothprincesskiara

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jiirani » January 17th, 2016, 3:30 am

I enjoyed this episode ahh.. It was good. Good for kids. Tbh I agree the roar should be used less but also I liked how Kion and Jasiri actually.. Fought in this episode :0 it was impressive tbh! I think kion does come across as very fierce haha. I'm looking forward to what the rest of the show has to offer. :)

tumblr | TLK blog | art by shyre
Jiirani
Hopeless Wanderer

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Restoring light to the lighthouse

Nickname(s): Eli, Jii, Lion
Pride Points: 62

Postby kyomon » January 17th, 2016, 3:57 am

thought it was a pretty good episode, has some pretty good morals for the kiddies too.
kyomon

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby gothprincesskiara » January 17th, 2016, 5:15 am

I really do hope we see her again in future episodes/seasons, what do you guys think the chances of it happening? :onowink:

gothprincesskiara

Postby Squeely » January 17th, 2016, 9:45 am

[quote="gothprincesskiara"] And I cant help but think ahead to next season, what would the changes and improvements be, lets just prey that there will be a second season, but I know im getting ahead of everything when it just started :kionoops: , I know patience, lets just wait watch and see what this first season brings. and stay excited for that[/quote]
Jake and the Neverland Pirates has been going since 2011 and has close to 100 episodes. I know that's not a guarantee that TLG will last a long time, but it offers a fair dose of hope. The two shows are very similar: both based on Disney movies of old but targeted at a young audience, both animated in what appears to be Flash with a bit of a chibi-ish look to them, and both have a lot of songs. But then, TLG is based on a more popular franchise (at least TLK seems to be far more popular than Peter Pan from what I've seen), TLG has better animation, and far better writing. Obviously I can't say for sure what the future of TLG holds, but for now, based on that information, it seems very promising.

[quote="gothprincesskiara"]I really do hope we see her again in future episodes/seasons, what do you guys think the chances of it happening? :onowink:[/quote]
It definitely seemed like they were setting her up for future appearances. I doubt she'll be in the show a ton, since Kion doesn't want to go to the Outlands, but I feel like there's a very good chance we'll see more of her. I feel like there could be a lot of contention between Kion and his parents over hyenas in the future (it makes sense for both Simba and Nala to hate hyenas after the events of TLK, and Kion had to get his anti-hyena prejudice from somewhere). But one afternoon of spending some time with Jasiri probably wouldn't be enough to push Kion to argue with his parents against their prejudices. I'd say Kion needs more time around Jasiri, and needs to realize that Janja and his clan have justified reasons for fighting with him. Janja would probably have respect for the circle of life if he hadn't been branded a criminal and forced to live in a ghetto from birth, and I feel like Jasiri is the one who will help Kion eventually realize that.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Rollo » January 17th, 2016, 1:30 pm

I agree with Tora that the roar should be used less. But remember that we're only two episodes in and the roar is still new and still important. I think they'll ease off it as we get further into the series. Maybe they're hoping to interest kids with a 'cool' vibe (i.e the roar) before they start leveling it out. You never know... we may even get an episode where Kion realises the roar doesn't work or save the day, and he starts to become smarter when using it.

And I can't stress enough how great it was that Mufasa didn't come back! He's my favourite character but even I get sick of his re-appearances. It's pretty disrespectful to the whole idea of TLK's spirituality, that he can just come back when he's needed. Nothing too bad, though. I think the crew behind TLG are learning pretty fast. :)
Rollo

Pride Points: 29

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard