Simba's approach towards his children

Simba's approach towards his children

Postby InsaneSeagull » November 25th, 2015, 11:29 pm

OK, I wanted to write this in the general opinion thread but I realized it's actually entirely new topic to discuss, so I decided to open the new one instead. I haven't read everything that's been written so I'm sorry if someone posted something similar.

It's about - Simba.

Kiara was the crown princess, but Kion was a prince too.

We all know that Mufasa wasn't murdered because Scar was evil. I mean he was, but I don't think it's even closely the main reason. The main reason was that Scar was jealous of his brother. I'm sure even TLG Simba is clever enough to understand that either. Why did he treat his children the way he did then? I mean it felt like he wanted to make Kion jealous of Kiara.

He gave her morning lesson about ruling the kingdom without even inviting Kion to be present at it. He even let Kiara's un-royal friends go hunt with her, again, without Kion. Shouldn't he teach them to support each other when Kiara rules, probably help each other or so? And what if something happens to Kiara? What if she dies, somehow? Don't get me wrong, I don't wish for it to happen, I love her, I just say it's probable. Then the kingdom is Kion's. And then he should rule it without a single lecture?

Another thing about this is Simba addressing Kiara as "princess" in one scene, in front of Kion, of course. What did he mean by that? She was primarily his daughter, not just the future queen. I mean, I'll repeat, Kion was the prince too, and he never addressed him that way. I mean, I'd never address any of my children like this, but if I would, I would address both, not only the one by accident born first.

There are some else things that bother me about Simba but they don't fit in this thread so I'll probably write them someplace else lol.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Re: Simba's approach towards his children

Postby Elton John » November 25th, 2015, 11:50 pm

It was supposed to be an important father/daughter moment. Simba didn't invite Kiara when talking about the lion guard. As far as hunting goes it's a lioness thing. Female lions hunt and males typically protect the pride from danger.

Maybe he referred to her as princess because she's specifically the one who will be the ruler when Simba dies? Kion being the prince isn't too important as he's not the one is being raised to rule., he's being raised to protect the pridelands to keep stability and ensure that Kiara doesn't die before creating royal heirs.

I guess...
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby TheLionPrince » November 26th, 2015, 12:54 am

That's a good point. Another thing I want to bring up that is relation to your argument is how Simba thinks lowly of Kion's friends being in the Lion Guard. Following in the footsteps of his father, Simba is traditionalist (so am I), but it's like he forgot what his father had instructed him "As king, everything exists together on a delicate balance, and as king, you need understand that balance and respect all the creatures from the crawling ant to the leaping antelope." This message hammers hard to Simba when he owes his life to his wastrel friends, Timon and Pumbaa. You would think Simba would have a deeply rooted respect for commoner animals and would see pass their physical appearance for the values they possess, but the writers make it seem he doesn't.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Elton John » November 26th, 2015, 1:31 am

I see it as Simba wanting the best team Kion can have. So far in the story Simba has seen Bungaa who was really reckless.

Simba lost his father due to bad choices, and to him 'the lion guard' is not a fun game to be played amongst friends. It's a dangerous responsibility.

Simba can be seen as a jerk but he only wants to protect his children. The pridelands is not a whimsical candyland, one mistake can cost lives. In SP he didn't want Kiara running around on her own because if anything happened to her there wouldn't be anybody to bring her back safely to pride rock. It's not the same thing as letting children run around a relatively safe neighborhood.

Simba is a character who lived for who knows how many years tormented, blaming himself for the death of his dad and now that he has children of his own he puts their safety as a high priority.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby InsaneSeagull » November 26th, 2015, 9:27 am

Elton John, I agree with some of points, it might be. But it still doesn't kill the point that he is making Kion jealous of Kiara. Kion is a good lion, and he'd probably never grow into something like Scar, but why increase that chance? Scar was also in Lion Guard, so that privilege isn't enough to satisfy everyone, even though I find it brilliant.

In SP, Kiara is Simba's only child and he never addressed her with "princess". Not a single time. I can't help but feel that he did now to make her feel superior towards Kion. I really hope I'm wrong.

TheLionPrince, that was actually one of the things I meant by "some else things that bother me about Simba", but now that you put that up, I guess I have to talk about it too. Simba was raised by meerkat and warthog. His main assistant is a bird, and main adviser a baboon. Even that doesn't help him see that "fastest" might refer much easier to cheetah than lion!? I mean, I find Kion's idea of assembling different animals brilliant, because each of them has unique strengths. But, apparently, Simba was too snobbish and racist to realize that.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby PrincessKiara » November 26th, 2015, 9:25 pm

To comment on the fact that Simba called Kiara "princess" in one scene: That was weird. I know that mothers may refer to their daughters as "princess," at least to others if not to their children`s face, and fathers may use this as a nickname too, similarly to "pumpkin" or whatever. I`m sure this was how it was meant in Simba`s case, but in the case of Kiara she`s an actual princess, she is royalty, a crown princess, and in SP we see that she gets annoyed at Timon and Pumbaa for constantly calling her "princess," as that`s all that is to her. Simba using her title was really odd. It`s not like Kiara refers to Simba as king, when talking to him or others. And you`re right in that Simba never calls Kion prince. I don`t think Simba calling Kiara princess was meant as more than him being affectionate towards her.

I do agree with you that Simba should give Kion some basic training and information on what it means to be the leader of the pride, and ruler of the Pridelands. Like you said, if Kiara were to die, the throne would pass to Kion (unless Kiara had cubs that were of age and could step in to rule).
As for Simba not including Kion in the morning lesson, I think that`s fine. Kiara is after all the crown princess and the first in line for the throne, I`m sure Simba wants to spend extra time with her and teach her to become a good queen - he probably doesn`t think it`s necessary to teach his son about these things, at least not to the same degree. I just don`t believe Simba was purposfully excluding Kion or favouring Kiara over him.

I also agree that Simba should have more respect for all animals, like Mufasa told him to. I understand Simba relies heavily on the laws Mufasa made, and how the Pridelands were run in his father time, and Simba believes that The Lion Guard is for lions only. Plus most of the animals Kion assembles are quite young, like Kion himself.. I can sort of understand Simba`s reaction - he thinks Kion doesn`t take it seriously because he just gathered his friends instead of finding the best and bravest lions in the pride (who are probably twice his age).
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby SimbasGuard » December 14th, 2015, 5:14 am

Something I think people overlook with Simba's rejection of Kion's Lion Guard is this. When Simba goes into battle he fights alongside lionesses. Since The Lion Guard are who Kion is going to go into battle with, Simba likely feels that animal less powerful than a lion will not be able to have Kion's back in a fight. Hence Simba saying,

"The circle of life and your life depend on who's on your team."

Simba is not being raciest in any way he merely wants his son to have teammates that are capable of having his back in a fight. To a lion why would that not be other lions?
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Return to The Lion Guard